What book/books are you reading right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm finally reading Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien. :up: Even though I've seen all three movies multiple times, the book is definitely worth reading because of all the stuff they cut out. Plus, I'm a purist -- even the most faithful adaptation can still make me want to read the book.

Last edited:
Keocmb said:
I just started "Slaughterhouse Five" by Kurt Vonnegut. :applaud:

Very interesting book, I enjoyed it.

:up:

I'm currently reading:

The Best of H.P. Lovecraft

Last edited:
There is no substitute for reading. Even though I adore the LOTR movies, I know that when I go back to the books they will ultimately move me even more. I think that there are so many things you can say in a book that you can't in a movie.

I'm currently reading The Summer of the Great Secret by Monica Edwards. She was an English children's writer who wrote a lot of her books in the 40s and 50s. Ponies, smugglers, that sort of thing, on the Sussex coast. In a sense they belong to the same tradition as Enid Blyton, but she is actually an extremely good writer, with a talent for evoking places and creating memorable characters. I love children's books!

Recently I've also read...Vol de nuit (in French) by Antoine de St-Exupery. Among Muslims by Kathleen Jamie, about northern Pakistan. The Carpet Wars by Christopher Kremmer, about Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq (I really need to stop reading about the Middle East...I'm so fascinated by that area. But I'm writing about Pakistan right now, that's my excuse!). Sting's new memoir, Broken Music, which is wonderful--even if you're not that keen on his music (which I am!) it's extremely well written and very insightful about English society. I know I've read other stuff but it escapes me now--another sign that I'm reading too much!

Happy reading everyone!

Am currently reading the 100 Irish Drinking Stories - chapters by James Joyce, Samuel Beckett, Patrick Kavanagh, Brendan Behan and Shane McGowan, etc....:drool: It has made me want ot get into some more Behan and Joyce - read A Drink With Shane McGowan last year and it was really interesting.:ohmy: For non-Irish literature I've been getting tore into novels by Ken Follett and Mario Puzo - f*ckin ace (and a change from The Hobbitt and Lord Of The Rings):madspit:

Just finished reading Franzen's The Corrections

don't remember how long it took... read it on and off prolly over the past 6-12 months ago.

:crack:

Currently reading 2 books, Cold Mountain and A Dive Off Of Clausen's Pier, I have been having the hardest time reading Cold Mountain bc everytime I read it I read about 10pgs and then fall asleep :laugh:

Been reading alot of great ones of late:

Radiosweetheart: Yeah, 'The Da Vinci Code' was amazing, I read it too not long ago.

Read the 2 Michael Moore books: 'Stupid White Men' & 'Dude, Where's My Country?'

Just finished & highly recommend 'Memoirs of a Geisha' by Arthur Golden.

'Childhood's End' Arthur C. Clark---really moving actually.

'On Equilibrium' John Ralston Saul

'Meditations on Middle Earth'---big Tolkien reader, probly read Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit over a dozen times.

Now I've just started 'No Logo' by Naomi Klein.

Last edited:
Here are a list of some books I am reading and some I'm goin' to

Books I've Read
1. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Bown
2. Of Mice And Men by John Steinbeck
3. There Will Come Soft Rains by Ray Bradbury
4. The Censors by Luisa Valenzuela

Books I'm Going To Read
1. The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
2. Bono: In Conversation with Michka Assayas by Michka Assayas and Bono

Short Book Reviews

Of Mice And Men - A short book with very big and heavy themes. Nothing less then perfection A++

The Da Vinci Code - Interesting ideas, but suffers from slow moments and some unrealistic "facts" A-

There Will Come Soft Rains - From the man who brought you Fahrenheit 451, comes There Will Come Soft Rains, a short story about nuclear apocalypse and the one mechanical house left standing. A truly sad story that will make you think A++

The Censors - A short story about a man that goes to far with censoring his own letter and drives himself mad. A great story that tells us how insane censorship really is A+

All these books are highly recommended by me :up:

Reading
1.Perks Of Being A Wallflower
2.Killing Bono(read it multiple time...love it)
3.Catcher In The Rye(had to read it for school last summer, it's a favorite)
4.America:The Book
5.Cold Mountain
6.The Hours(excellent book and excellent movie)

Books I want to read
1.Bono In Conversation
2.The Late Shift
3. Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince(can't wait til it comes out)

Books I have to read for school
1.Death Of A Salesman
2.Great Gatsby(well we already read it but I'm doing my final on it so I have to re-read it)

daygloeyes2 said:

2.Great Gatsby(well we already read it but I'm doing my final on it so I have to re-read it)

Gatsby is one of my top five all-time favorite books. :yes:

And so we beat on
Boats against the tide
Borne back ceaselessly into the past

Gatsby believed in the green light

I'm feeling the need to read this again! :D

Back
Top Bottom