U2 Show or U2 At the end of the world?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
I'm thinking of getting either one of these two books (both would be too pricy...) and my dilemma is which one to pick?

I'm interested to learn more about their tours but I'd also like to learn more about album making. I fear At the end of the world is more into anecdote-telling than album making stories and U2 Show might be too techy, plus who's to say there won't be a new edition with the future tours?

To those who have read both books: what do you think I should do?

I saw U2 at the End of the World, it does break into anecdotes a bit and there are some pretty interesting stories, BUT there is some insight on Achtung Baby, and some in-depth stuff with Zooropa and the beginning of Passengers

U2 Show was more of a picture book for me, and I can just get pix online for me.

U2 At the End of the World all the way

i would def go with At the End of the World. i have both and i was much more satisfied with U2 At the End of the World.
tis a must read for all u2 fans

I really enjoyed U2 At the End of the World, The Bill Flanagan book. You get a behind the scenes look at things.
A memorable part is his description of the filming of the Numb video. The guys were trying to think up all of these things to do to Edge while he sat in that chair. I also like the parts where the band was in Australia( i think? ) and they convinced a barmaid to walk off her job and go to the beach with them all night until the sun rose. This book gives you the tale of how determidly they shook off their "preaching" image.

U2girl said:
I'm interested to learn more about their tours but I'd also like to learn more about album making. I fear At the end of the world is more into anecdote-telling than album making stories and U2 Show might be too techy, plus who's to say there won't be a new edition with the future tours?

To those who have read both books: what do you think I should do?

I don't think that U2 Show is too techy at all. Because it interviews almost everyone who has done some significant work on a U2 tour. Not just designer Willie Williams, soundman Joe O'Herlihy or tour manager Steve Iredale, but also head wardrobe Fintan Fitzgerald, Gavin Friday, Daniel Lanois or journalist Bill Flanagan (yes, that Bill Flanagan :)). The book also has a lot of photos (about 180 pages), but also 130 pages of interviews/essays, so it goes quite deep.
As for At The End Of The World, it's more a fly-on-the-wall account of the Zoo years. It tells a story as written by one writer (in contrast to the story of the dozens of interviews in U2 Show). It talks about the gestation of Achtung Baby and Zooropa (like Daniel Lanois gave a frank view of the ATYCLB sessions in the U2 Show book). It is more anecdotal than U2 Show, more a rock novel. Kinda like an On The Road with U2 in the Nineties.

Problem is: both books are great. So you do have to get both. :)

LemonMacPhisto said:
U2 Show was more of a picture book for me, and I can just get pix online for me.

Interesting, since I considered U2 Show more of an excellent collection of interviews. :)

I actually just bought U2 at the End of the World about a week ago and just finished it today. Great bloody book :up: Definately pick it up... very well written, too.

No contest ... U2's At The End Of The World !! :bow:
Bill Flanagan wrote an incredible book indeed ... :up:
I loved all the personal mentions about Bono and his family life ... :applaud:
that alone was GREAT reading as usually most of that is kept private. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom