U2 can't get their own facts right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galeongirl

Galeonbroad
I got u2 by u2 this morning... and the first thing I noticed... on the inside of the cover, their story starts.... and the year of the first rehearsal is 1975

Is mine a misprint, or does every book have this mistake? and if so, how can U2 not get their own bloody facts right?

Mine has this mistake too. Also, two dates are given for the death of Larry's mother. I think there are some others in there as well, but i can't think of them right now. They should have asked us to help proofread :wink:

Not as bad as T.O. screwing up his autobiography by calling himself heroic.

It's an awesome , worth of them , book

Though i still don't have it

Facts

The stuff on the dust jacket is often not even proofed by the authors of the books. The dust jacket is wrong but the date is given correctly inside the book. In the first section where they each give their history up until the start of the band, Larry ends his segment with the date of the first meeting, Sept 25, 1976. Dust jacket info or covers should never be considered accurate as they are often prepared by people who have not read the book and are very sloppily checked in my experience. I can't even count the number of cover blurbs I've read that are so far of the mark it is ridiculous.

As for the error on Larry's mother's death the first mention gives only the year and that is the one that is wrong but honestly 6 & 8 are common typo mistakes.

Dana

Yeah, the book has many mistakes. Very strange. I also noticed U2 still claim the 'going away' speech happened on New Years Eve '89 with the whole world listening on radio. I guess it makes it seem more dramatic.

Remember, you should never let the truth get in the way of a good story...:wink:

Slapnutz said:
I also noticed U2 still claim the 'going away' speech happened on New Years Eve '89 with the whole world listening on radio. I guess it makes it seem more dramatic.

I thought the 'going away/dream it all up again' speech did occur at the new years eve point depot 89 concert :huh: Didn't it?

partygirlvox said:

I thought the 'going away/dream it all up again' speech did occur at the new years eve point depot 89 concert :huh: Didn't it?

the speech came during the dec. 30 concert, which was also at point depot, but it was the night before new year's eve - and was not the show broadcast on the radio ;)

its a very good book from what ive read so far however i have noticed when he was younger Edge looked so much like my uncle its untrue...maybe its the welsh in him seeing as im welsh and so is my uncle :wink:

partygirlvox said:

I think it's been misreported so many times as being from the 31st that the band are starting to believe it! :wink:

Definitely from the 30th. :yes:

Get yourself some bootlegs of the shows, they're fantastic.

In relation to the 'dream it all up again' speech, I don't think it was that spontaneous in any case. On the Dec 30th bootleg, it comes before 'Love Rescue Me' if you listen to the 27th Dec show, he makes a very similar speech before 'Love Rescue Me' too.

I agree that U2 By U2 does indulge in some self-mythologising, and the whole end of Lovetown tour is the classic example. The band obviously like the symbolic aspect of imagining the tour ending at the end of the decade, in Dublin (which was what was meant to happen). However, it's an insult to the four shows they subsequently played in Rotterdam in January 1990, which are arguably some of the best live concerts they ever played.

Another one that intrigues me is the derivation of 'Hawkmoon 269'. Edge states that Hawkmoon is a place in Rapid City, Dakota - can anyone verify this?

12. What does "Hawkmoon 269" mean?

There have been many theories about the origin of the song title "Hawkmoon 269". The three main theories that have floated around the U2 fan community since the late 80's are:

THEORY A) The "269" in the title is a reference to the number of times the band had to mix the song to get it right.

THEORY B) "Hawkmoon 269" is a reference to a sign Bono saw showing the town of Hawkmoon was 269 miles ahead while traveling through America on the Joshua Tree tour.

THEORY C) "Hawkmoon 269" is a reference to one of Bono's favorite authors, Sam Shepard.

Of the three theories, the ONLY theory to have substantial, credible evidence to back it up is THEORY C... that "Hawkmoon 269" is a reference to Sam Shepard. I would suggest that THEORY A is a joke that Bono made during a radio interview to avoid sounding too "serious" as he often can, THEORY B is simply a U2 fan "urban myth" with little if any evidence (in fact, there is no town named "Hawkmoon" or "Hawk Moon" in the entire US according to mapquest.com), and THEORY C is in fact the truth behind the song's title.

Evidence that backs up THEORY C includes two books written by Sam Shepard. First and foremost, is Shepard's book of prose, poetry, and monologues called Hawk Moon. Second, is his book Motel Chronicles which was written after Hawk Moon and is probably responsible for the "269" (motel room number) part of the song's title. Both books, interestingly, discuss and are infused with images of the desert southwest of America and are somewhat autobiographical for Sam Shepard. The desert southwest of these Shepard books is the very same theme which infuses The Joshua Tree and to a lesser extent Rattle And Hum.

Just before Bono began the song cycle that would become Joshua Tree / Rattle And Hum (in 1985), a UK publisher (Faber and Faber) released a two volume set which contained both Hawk Moon and Motel Chronicles. This set was widely available throughout the UK and Ireland, and may have been how Bono acquired these important Shepard works.

The most powerful, yet confusing piece of evidence toward the Shepard link are Bono's own words! The problem with quoting Bono is that he often chooses to contradict himself, in this case moment to moment, during interviews. During a 1988 US Rattle And Hum radio broadcast, Bono says:

"The other side of U2 is Hawkmoon. I'd like to say that, uh... I mean I called it Hawkmoon 269 because... It seems to me... Well, it's a reference to a few people, like one of my favorite writers Sam Shepard, but also to... It's a motel room in my imagination somewhere..."

This quote should have closed the book on this issue once and for all... if Bono had stopped talking at that point! Unfortunately Bono didn't stop talking. It is the second part of his answer, which has obscured the truth behind the title Hawkmoon 269 since 1988:

"But the 269 isn't actually a motel room, it's the fact that we mixed it two hundred and sixty-nine times before we got it right [Larry, Adam, and Edge start laughing], and, uh [Bono begins to laugh] we're that professional MAN."

I think this second part of the quote is nothing more than a joke on Bono's part to liven the mood of his previously serious and direct answer to the question. Indeed, if you listen carefully to the show, the band can be heard laughing and Bono's voice noticeably changes when he utters the second part of his answer. In fact, even Bono is heard laughing near the end. What should have been interpreted as dry Irish wit has instead been wrongly taken by fans as THE reason for the "269" part of the song's title. [DE]

taken from U2faqs.com :shrug:

I'm not sure it's actually in this book but didn't Bono say at some point, that he heard of Elvis' death from his mother who herself had heard it on the radio.

I'm quite sure I read it like that somewhere (could have been an interview, but definately not too long ago).

I started thinking about it and figured out Elvis died in 1977 and Bono's mum passed away in 1974 :huh:

Another Bono-believing-his-own-stories??

Back
Top Bottom