U2 books worth buying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stryker395

The Fly
I've seen quite a few books about U2 in the stores and I was curious if any of them were worth reading. The main one I was interested in was Bono: His Life, Music, and Passions.

I figured that this was the best place to ask as I figured that a lot of you have these books or some of them. Are they worth reading or buying?

I haven't read any U2 books yet (as I haven't seen any of them here!), but they say Bill Flanagan's U2 at the end of the world is "U2 Bible" for U2 fans. It covers U2's Zoo TV tour and also, I think, making of Achtung Baby.

Yeah there's a lot out there, and most of it, in my never humble opinion, is crap. I read a lot. Here's what I think:

The Bill Flanagan book "U2 at the End of the World" *is* the best one I've come across; it's got some great anecdotes that I've never read anywhere else (unless they've cited the book).

The other pretty decent book is by B. P. Fallon & is called "U2: Faraway So Close." It's visually difficult to read because of the layout, but it's pretty worth it. Great anecdotes...it documents ZooTV until Fallon got booted off the tour.

"Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2" is an interesting concept that I think falls flat on its ass. Any fan knows about their faith, and this book is written by a minister who doesn't know the band and so cannot really offer anything more than any of us could if we sat down to write an in-depth book about religious references in U2's songs. He quotes U2 in his sermons.

"U2 Show" is a new coffee-table style book about the band that has some anecdotes, a lot of fluff, and tons of great pictures. This is why it's a coffee table book. I'd suggest looking at the pictures in a store and not buying.

"Into the Heart The Stories Behind Every Song" is similar drivel with lots of awesome, shiny pictures.

I would definitely lay off the biography of Bono you were talking about.....but that's just me. There's another book called "A Grand Madness: 10 Years on the Road With U2" which is written by a superfan who has spent a lot of time and money traveling to see the band in concert. She's met the guys, gotten tons of autographs and other stuff. This book is occasionally an amusing read, but mostly I found myself cringing with embarrassment at how lame the author is...and haha, I wouldn't be surprised if she reads these message boards.

ok this is too long. enough outta me.

The Bono one you mentioned was SO dissapointing....the author managed to take one of the worlds most fascinating people and make him sound totally boring. Save your money, trust me.

U2 At The End of the World and Unforgettable Fire....much better reads.

Its a shame there isn't decent biography on Bono. The one that is out I won't read, because the majority of readers say its not good. The Bill Flanagan book is definetly worth reading, and I heard that "Killing Bono" is good, though I haven't read it.

Books about U2

Try also "Race of Angels - Ireland and the Genesis of U2" by John Waters (excellent but a bit heavy reading in parts) and "U2 - the Rolling Stones files" (compendium of all Rolling Stones articles and interviews with the band, etc).

Killing Bono, by Neil McCormick, is very good, and I'll have a full review soon. I'm almost finished. It's very interesting seeing the band from a different point of view. Ultimately, he still paints them exactly how we have seen them over the years, but it's still a great new angle.

I managed to get hold of a used version Rolling Stone Compendium through amazon.co.uk - that's an interesting read. I Was Bono's Doppelganger is the best I've read so far.

I will second what everyone here has mentioned. "U2 At The End of the World" is a great book. The McCormick book 'Killing Bono' is getting praise from many people, including other big musicians and critics. I've ordered it, but haven't received it yet.

Also ordered the new Corbijn book 'U2 and I'. Due out at the end of the month. Can't wait. Amazon has it for a pretty good pre-order price. Cover price might be a bit much for anyone not that interested in photography.

One to definitely leave alone is 'Inside the Zoo with U2' I was foolish enough to buy this monstrosity which is just non-stop drivel all the way through.

Bill Flanagan's book--excellent. You think the guys are about to do something really juicy--but no they are usually behaving. (That's what I love about them.) If you all say Killing Bono is good--I am getting it.

Bill's book is THE best best best...I've read through it I don't know how many times. :)
BP's is good,too, but mainly for the awesome pictures...And A Grand Madness is a good read,too. Always cool to read another fan's experiences.

No one has mentioned Alan Carter's book, "Outside is America, U2 in the U.S." I have this one and while it's rather one-sided in its constant praise of the band, it provides some nice insight into the band's early years of touring in the U.S.

tennispunk said:
"U2 Show" is a new coffee-table style book about the band that has some anecdotes, a lot of fluff, and tons of great pictures. This is why it's a coffee table book. I'd suggest looking at the pictures in a store and not buying.

"Into the Heart The Stories Behind Every Song" is similar drivel with lots of awesome, shiny pictures.

I disagree with you on these two. I think that U2 Show is a very good book. Yes, its size and many pictures make it a coffee-table book. However, the content in the second half is really good too. Many excellent interviews with many people who have/had been involved in the U2 touring experience over the years. From their first booking agents to video content providers for Popmart. From show designer Willie Williams and manager Paul McGuinness to record producers Daniel Lanois, Brian Eno and Flood. And everyone in between. Granted, it doesn't give a clear, chronologic history of the band, but it does give you a good picture what kind of an operation a tour is and what U2 try to achieve with their tours.

In the same vein, Into The Heart: The Stories Behind Every Song isn't drivel either. Its title says exactly what the book is about. Hot Press editor Niall Stokes has spoken extensively with the band and with others about the songs.
It is of course an individual choice if you want to read about the meaning behind Lemon or where the title Shadows And Tall Trees comes from. However, if you are interested, then this is the best book about it.

C ya!

P.S. Another good choice is the U2 Propaganda book. A bit patchy and sometimes light on content. But Willie's tour diaries make up for everything.
P.P.S. I also support the choices for At The End Of The World and U2 Live: A Concert Documentary.

I'd say "Touch The Flame" is the one to get. It's rare to find though....and there's alot of interview info in it. But "Until The End Of The World", "A Concert Documentary", "Faraway So Close", "U2 Show", "U2 Propaganda", "A Spiritual Journey" ,"Get Off Your Knees..Preaching The U2 Catalogue", "Unforgettable Fire The Definitive Biography Of U2","U2 Road To Pop", "Bono..The Biography""Outside Is America" are great too. I have them all!!:love:

Sorry, I had to go check for more references. Add these to my list of "go-getters"...... "A Grand Madness: 10 Years On The Road With U2", "Killing Bono","Into The Heart, The Stories Behind Every U2 Song", "The U2 Reader: A Quarter Century Of Commentary, Criticism, and Reviews", "U2: The Ultimate Encyclopedia" and "U2: The Complete Guide To The Music Of U2". These are more worth getting. Yes, Ialready have them too. Talk about A U2 fanatic, I've been one for quite some time.:drool: :drool:

This news item was from almost a year ago. Does anyone know what happened to this project? Delayed? Scrapped?

"Publishers got a sneak peek the past few weeks at what is poised to be one of rock's big publishing events of 2005, an anthology by and about U2. Planned as a full-color photo retrospective, "In the Name of Love: U2 by U2" is proposed to coincide with the release of the band's next and 10th studio album, and timed for the 25th anniversary of the group's first LP, Boy.

The proposal, which was shown to prospective publishers in the past few weeks in the form of a blad — a selection of pages of text, photos and illustrations — includes previously unseen photos of the band throughout its career, such as from album-cover photo shoots with Peter Rowen, the boy who posed for the cover of War and other releases. "It's meant to show the band not just in the context of a rock band, but as figures in world culture," said one publisher who took a look.

The bandmembers themselves did not take meetings to shop the book, but sent out their longtime manager, Paul McGuinness, in their place. (McGuinness' office did not return calls for comment.)

Jim Henke is the proposed writer for the book, since he has had a long history with U2, first having lobbied his bosses at Rolling Stone to feature the group on its cover in 1985 (with the headline, "Our Choice — Band of the '80s"), and then creating an exhibit in 2003 on the band at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, where he is now chief curator. Much of what was included in the exhibit, titled "In the Name of Love: Two Decades of U2," is expected to make the finished book. One of the most extensive exhibitions on one act ever to be displayed in the museum, it included the band's first drum kit, costumes from years of stage productions, the Zoo TV Tour sign, photos by longtime band lensman Anton Corbijn, the first U2 T-shirt, early rejection letters from record labels, meticulous notes by producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois from a couple of recording sessions, and handwritten lyrics.

"Most bands don't have their material tied in as cogently as that," said the publishing source, who asked not to be identified so that negotiations to procure the anthology wouldn't be jeopardized. "If a publisher can make the book work as an event or tie it into a loyal fanbase, there's some gold in them thar hills."

He predicted that the U2 project would command a multimillion-dollar deal once the bids are collected on Monday (March 1)."

biff---although the above news item you posted mentions jim henke as a potential author--this may have turned into the book neil mccormick was working on "u2 by u2".
when he was promoting "killing bono" he spoke about the interviews he was doing with the band for the "u2 by u2" book and he noted how slowly they were going, etc. etc.
haven't heard anything since then :shrug:

Popmartijn said:

In the same vein, Into The Heart: The Stories Behind Every Song isn't drivel either. Its title says exactly what the book is about. Hot Press editor Niall Stokes has spoken extensively with the band and with others about the songs.
It is of course an individual choice if you want to read about the meaning behind Lemon or where the title Shadows And Tall Trees comes from. However, if you are interested, then this is the best book about it.

C

i agree--Stokes' book has lots of comments by band members that really add insights into the songs they've written. I pick it up over and over again...

Bit late but never mind....

If you can find them, get "The U2 File" and the second volume (which name escapes me) which are the compilations of articles printed in Ireland's "Hot Press" from U2's very beginning. Good for stuff about U2 at the time things happened.

Also essential is the late Bill Graham's book "Three Chords and the Truth", text and prose about the early U2.

Mark Freedman said:
Killing Bono, by Neil McCormick, is very good, and I'll have a full review soon. I'm almost finished. It's very interesting seeing the band from a different point of view. Ultimately, he still paints them exactly how we have seen them over the years, but it's still a great new angle.

Agreed. I've just finished reading this book (also called 'I Was Bono's Doppelganger). It gives a very fresh view of the band from someone who has known them since school.

biff said:
This news item was from almost a year ago. Does anyone know what happened to this project? Delayed? Scrapped?

"Publishers got a sneak peek the past few weeks at what is poised to be one of rock's big publishing events of 2005, an anthology by and about U2. Planned as a full-color photo retrospective, "In the Name of Love: U2 by U2" is proposed to coincide with the release of the band's next and 10th studio album, and timed for the 25th anniversary of the group's first LP, Boy.

The proposal, which was shown to prospective publishers in the past few weeks in the form of a blad — a selection of pages of text, photos and illustrations — includes previously unseen photos of the band throughout its career, such as from album-cover photo shoots with Peter Rowen, the boy who posed for the cover of War and other releases. "It's meant to show the band not just in the context of a rock band, but as figures in world culture," said one publisher who took a look.

The bandmembers themselves did not take meetings to shop the book, but sent out their longtime manager, Paul McGuinness, in their place. (McGuinness' office did not return calls for comment.)

Jim Henke is the proposed writer for the book, since he has had a long history with U2, first having lobbied his bosses at Rolling Stone to feature the group on its cover in 1985 (with the headline, "Our Choice — Band of the '80s"), and then creating an exhibit in 2003 on the band at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, where he is now chief curator. Much of what was included in the exhibit, titled "In the Name of Love: Two Decades of U2," is expected to make the finished book. One of the most extensive exhibitions on one act ever to be displayed in the museum, it included the band's first drum kit, costumes from years of stage productions, the Zoo TV Tour sign, photos by longtime band lensman Anton Corbijn, the first U2 T-shirt, early rejection letters from record labels, meticulous notes by producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois from a couple of recording sessions, and handwritten lyrics.

"Most bands don't have their material tied in as cogently as that," said the publishing source, who asked not to be identified so that negotiations to procure the anthology wouldn't be jeopardized. "If a publisher can make the book work as an event or tie it into a loyal fanbase, there's some gold in them thar hills."

He predicted that the U2 project would command a multimillion-dollar deal once the bids are collected on Monday (March 1)."

U2 by U2 is due out in September according to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060776757/ref=pd_sim_b_5/102-4002568-5054556?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Just adding to my previous 2 lists here as I've picked up more
books since my last post back in February ...
Now, I'd have to add "Bono: In Conversation" ... as this book was absolutely GREAT !! Definitely worth the $20 !! Overall, I really enjoyed Bono's interview ... it must have been easy for Michka all together as Bono's responses seemed more laid-back and relaxed ... Secondly, I would definitely recommend for everyone to get "U2 & I: The Photographs 1982-2004 ... this book
is heavy ... very heavy for a book ... almost 9 lbs heavy ... WOW !!
But well worth it !! I paid only $83.55 because I ordered it ... but
it's worth the original price tag of $120 ... Anton Corbijn's photographs are truly fascinating ... I cannot believe how these photos turned out so-ooo incredibly amazing !! It took me over 2
hours to look through this book as several photographs just seem to capture you and not let go ... it's very hard to turn the page and go to the next photo ... That's how GREAT this book is !!
Absolutely love it ... so-ooo happy it finally came in !! :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom