U2 books???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clementine_rose

War Child
I haven't been on here near as much as I used to be, mainly because I was in the hospital for about a month and a half and have yet to feel like myself. Anyways, since I've been having to stay in bed most of the time I thought I should go ahead and stock-uo on some U2 books, you know to give me something to read. I already own U2: At the End of the World, Inside the Zoo: by "that evil theif lady" otherwise known as Lola Cashman. So I knew that PLEBA would be "the place" to ask. Out of all the U2 books or U2 biographies, what are the (3)three must have books, other than the ones I already own?
In advance, thank you for your help! :)

Sorry to hear that clementine :hug:

The best book which came out recently has got to be "U2&i" by Anton Corbijn which is the one advertised at the top of the front page of Intereference! It has in the region of 300 AMAZING pix quite frankly&is jaw-droppingly brilliant! :bow: :bow: :bow:

As for others? Well others might disagree but 1 of the others i'd say is right up there for me is the Bono book: In conversation with Bono by Mitchka Asayis(sp?) I've read it&it proves Bono as a very intelligent man&is very insightful, i think anyway!

3rd? I'd have to say U2 Live in my opinion as it lists every single show up until just after the end of Elevation&it has many very good concert pix!! It has a pic of Bono&Edge's bullfight on the cover!

I was just going to recommend Fallon's book as well. It's a really fun read, perfect for when you're not feeling great. Also, though it's not strictly "about" U2, I would strongly recommend Killing Bono/I Was Bono's Doppelganger (It has different titles in different countries. It's the same book, but Killing Bono has more pictures.) This is a great book by Neil McCormick, an old school friend of the band.

You can find discussions of most of these books in the Every Artist is a Cannibal forum. Happy reading, and hope you feel better soon.

U2 and I weighs a TON!!!!!! If you shouldn't lift, be sure to prop it on a table. OK, I'm a mom, I'll admit it!

Well basically everyone has covered my three favoirte...or 4 :shh:...lol
U2&I
U2 Show
Faraway so Close
Bono in Conversation
5 if you count Until the end of the world which you already own :wink:

Another good one is also Propaganda its the best articles from there old fanclubmagazines, in a big colorful book i would recommend it :up:

Hope you feel better soon :hug:

I'm so sorry you've been ill, I hope you feel better very soon.

For me, nothing tops Flanagan's book, but Carter Allan's (sp?) was good, and was "inside" enough to piss Larry off -- Outside Is America.

Then there are the Hot Press collections, , U2 In The Name of Love and then the next one whose title I can't remember -- ain't I a help?

Then if your doctor gives the OK, because the words are no big deal, but the pix, yowza, try U2 Burning Desire and U2 Touch the Flame! But you could easily hurt yourself by just looking at some of these.

And slightly off topic, have you ever read Geldof's autobiography, Is That It? Naturally, he has a lot more history since then, but it is a wonderful book, and I find his outlook so refreshing and comforting -- if he and Larry ran the world, it would be so free of bullshit, all the veggies would have to be grown hydroponically!

FEELINNUMB said:
Then if your doctor gives the OK, because the words are no big deal, but the pix, yowza, try U2 Burning Desire and U2 Touch the Flame!

I have never heard of these, and these books have good pics do they. :hmm: I know it is more than what I was planning on getting. But you know, what if I am not feeling upto reading....yeah thats it ...I think my doctor would want me to get one of these books, so I'll get one only because she'd want to have it. :sexywink:

I just started the book, Bono in Conversation, and I'm already totally enjoying it.

I would also recommend the U2 Propoganda book. It's a collection of articles from their own magazine.

I have heard of a lot of people mention U2 Propoganda. Is it a book with little tid-bits on the band or what? Like I said, I've heard people mention it, but never talk what it is about. If it sounds good I might think about it, mainly because Amazon has it on sale for $4.85.

Sorry to hear you're in the hospital:(

I can't believe everyone forgot "The Unforgettable Fire" by Eamon Dunphy. It has a lot of anecdotes and cute stories of them when they were young and first starting out that are very entertaining.

Biff I still have to get back to you on those books, I loved them! :wave: Sorry I haven't gotten your pic of Rupert scanned, I haven't gotten anything scanned but I still hope to.

What about the book "U2 by U2" by Neil McCormick and U2 or "U2: The Road to Pop"by Carter Alan? Has anyone heard of them and knows whether they're good or not?

RocknRollKitty said:
Sorry to hear you're in the hospital:(

I can't believe everyone forgot "The Unforgettable Fire" by Eamon Dunphy. It has a lot of anecdotes and cute stories of them when they were young and first starting out that are very entertaining.

Biff I still have to get back to you on those books, I loved them! :wave: Sorry I haven't gotten your pic of Rupert scanned, I haven't gotten anything scanned but I still hope to.

Thanks, Michelle! Yes, if you can get those pics scanned, that would be great, Rupert-wise.

What DID you think of those books? I would love to hear your opinion. :wave:

clementine_rose said:
I haven't been on here near as much as I used to be, mainly because I was in the hospital for about a month and a half and have yet to feel like myself. Anyways, since I've been having to stay in bed most of the time I thought I should go ahead and stock-uo on some U2 books, you know to give me something to read. I already own U2: At the End of the World, Inside the Zoo: by "that evil theif lady" otherwise known as Lola Cashman. So I knew that PLEBA would be "the place" to ask. Out of all the U2 books or U2 biographies, what are the (3)three must have books, other than the ones I already own?
In advance, thank you for your help! :)

Crap. Sorry to hear about the bedrest. Bedrest is why I was on this site so much last year. Bedrest truely sucks, especially if you like being mobile and have a hard time slowing down.

There are already many good U2 books listed in this thread so I'm going to list a non U2 book - Farewell My Ovaries by Wendy Harmer. Wendy Harmer is an Australian comedienne. The story is basically about a woman wanting to have one last romantic fling. It's a light and funny read.

Also, the new Harry Potter was released yesterday. That thing's so large it'll keep you going for ages. lol

I personally don't think you can beat Bill Flanagans to the end of the world. It's so funny and well written. I so wish he'd do another.

Anyway, as mentioned above In conversation with Bono is very interesting although I'd have preferred him to talk more about the band. Propaganda was a good read, if a little heavy to lift... and BP Fallons book is another interesting/funny book.

Course, if yer really bored you could try Bono the biography by Laura Jackson - that's a good one too.

Anyway, you do realise that with all these books to read whilst being laid up, you can always tell ppl that you spent your entire re-cooperation in bed with Bono.. (Just forget to tell 'em that it was only a book..hee hee).

clementine_rose said:

I have never heard of these, and these books have good pics do they. :hmm: I know it is more than what I was planning on getting. But you know, what if I am not feeling upto reading....yeah thats it ...I think my doctor would want me to get one of these books, so I'll get one only because she'd want to have it. :sexywink:

Do you know how many vicious quacks I've seen over the past year? I WANT YOUR DOCTOR!!:)

Perhaps these U2 books should come with warning labels, Val was right about the weight of the Anton book, I can't lift it or even, uh, maneuver it, and with the pics in some of these others, what is it they always say, consult your physician before beginning any kind of, ahem, exercise program?:wink:

clementine_rose said:
I have heard of a lot of people mention U2 Propoganda. Is it a book with little tid-bits on the band or what? Like I said, I've heard people mention it, but never talk what it is about. If it sounds good I might think about it, mainly because Amazon has it on sale for $4.85.

Basically it's a collection of material from the many U2 Propaganda Fan Club mags that were, up until recently, published. I own quite a few, but there was still loads in there that I found interesting to read, especially from the early issues.
And for THAT price on Amazon, u should def. get it!:wink:

youvedonewhat said:
Anyway, you do realise that with all these books to read whilst being laid up, you can always tell ppl that you spent your entire re-cooperation in bed with Bono.. (Just forget to tell 'em that it was only a book..hee hee).
:giggle: I love that, I will definately be using that one. Can you imagine that converstaion, "Yup, Bono helped me get through all those days on bedrest, and he also put me to bed everynight." That is perfect, thanks for the idea!
I also would like to tell you that your FF story SBWIMD has been a great read! :drool: I absolutely love the story!! Please keep up the amazing story!

Thank you Aardvark for the info on the Propaganda book, guess I will go ahead and pick up the book. And youvedonewhat, I've never heard of Bono the biography by Laura Jackson, I looked it up and will keep that one in mind. Beli, I guess I will have to pick up Farewell My Ovaries by Wendy Harmer, I have had 4 other people tell me I need to get this book. As for anyone else who has given me info on some much needed additions to my library, thank you very much! You all have been extremely helpful. I am sure I will end up with much more than three books but what the hay! Thanks again! :)

FEELINNUMB said:
I'm so sorry you've been ill, I hope you feel better very soon.

For me, nothing tops Flanagan's book, but Carter Allan's (sp?) was good, and was "inside" enough to piss Larry off -- Outside Is America.

Then there are the Hot Press collections, , U2 In The Name of Love and then the next one whose title I can't remember -- ain't I a help?

The other book is "The U2 File". Both books cover U2 in the '80's--
"File" 1980-1984 and "Love" 1985-1989 and they featured articles from the Hot Press magazines. I think Niall Stokes edited both books.

I would agree with U2: Touch The Flame :up:
It has alot of interview info in it ... although, it may be hard to find !! :ohmy:

How about U2: The Ultimate Encyclopedia by Mark Chatterton ... Now, this is an interesting book filled with lots of info on U2 ... all listed in order from A-Z ... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom