U2 at the end of the world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstlove

The Fly
gosh, I've read it 4 or 5 times already, it is soooooo awsome. You kind of feel like you're a part of the band/crew after you read it. It's like YOU ARE THERE when everything happens. love it love it love it.

the whole thing is just amazing. I not only got some idea of what it takes to run a huge tour, but got insights into the band members. I especially loved reading about how Bono loses everything, and how you can always tell what Bono's thinking, feeling, and what he had for breakfast :D They all have great senses of humor!

This is the best U2 book I have ever read. People call it the U2 Bible, and with good cause. I highly recommend this book to all U2 fans.

This book is pure FUN to read. I loved the interview with Bono's father. Also, I was amazed with the parts on the Bosnian war.

:wink: GOD!That book is SOOOO good!!! Like most of the people wrote here, I really loved the closeness of the writter, of U2, I totally felt at home!!! And I discovered in that book, well, what was happening in Sarajevo, I didn't knew that it was that...I don't have word to say it!!! It's AMAZING, I'm planning to re-read it this summer!!!!

i agree... the book rocks. I love getting to read about Bob Hewson's thoughts and stories of his son. I felt like I was there every time they had to stop everything and look for bono's sunglasses! he is so scatterbrained... it makes me love him more:drool:

Ok, after reading everyone's comments I'm gonna buy this one.
I tried to find it translated in Dutch.. but i don't seem to find it.
Well, maybe it's not so bad to read it in English, so I can improve my English reading/writing.. :wink:

even though I am an atheist I also call it my U2 bible
that book is so awesome because it includes so much more than U2 and the tour - Bill also takes the world around the guys into account and it is great to read everything in context with the rest of the music/ political and social world

I'm also halfway through. Very interesting.
Any books from Popmart or Elevation with these "on-the-road-insider-accounts"?
One thing bothers me though: I know there has been said alot about Larry's personality. What I read in the book, I'm not sure I'm so impressed with.
He seems grumpy and pays alot of attention to money issues. I mean - he is so f... rich.
But maybe other books give a more detailed insight to Larry's brain/behaviour.
And as said: I'm only halfway through. Maybe he turns out to be a party-booster in the other half.
Another interesting thing from the book:
Crew members talking: "How's Bono's mood?"
"Good, still not great. Lifting from yesterday".

Then Flanagan interrupts:
"Geez, I say, it sound like you guys are issuing weather reports: Number one partly cloudy, clearing expected later. Number three overcast.

"Believe me", the crew member says, "It pays to know".

Last edited:
pulle28 said:
One thing bothers me though: I know there has been said alot about Larry's personality. What I read in the book, I'm not sure I'm so impressed with.
He seems grumpy and pays alot of attention to money issues. I mean - he is so f... rich.

Well, that's just the impression you may get. However, it's not necessarily true. It's just that Larry's sense of humour translates very difficult to paper. Even the author himself acknowledged this, when he wrote an article for U2's fanzine Propaganda (somewhere in 1995, his article was also compiled in the Best Of Propaganda book).
So don't get irritated too much by Larry's grumpiness, he's a lot nicer apparently.

:)

I would have to say "U2 At The End Of the World" is by far the best of the best of any book about U2 I have ever read. I lost that book...lent it out actually..never got it back, and bought another copy...this ones not leaving me lol.

I also really have enjoyed the U2: SHOWS book and proudly display that one on my coffe table. Getting Willie Williams' insight about how the shows were created and moved about...very interesting!! And the interviews with the management team and all involved with anything show related or business related....very insightful. "Shows" is another "must have " U2 book (not better than end of the world thogh) :)

Does anyone have alink to a sight I can buy this book, I've never even heard of it, but it sounds pretty damn good. ;P

Lyra14, I live in Kingston too :D Obviously a different Kingston to you....

My school's library had this, fortunately, as I was getting into U2 in 7th grade (right as Pop came out), so I was still - relatively - a U2 virgin while reading all this amazing shit about them. It was so surreal reading the book... almost being invited into their world.

I just picked it up (albeit on soft-cover, but what the hey!) literally on tuesday and am waiting to finish the current book i'm reading (Haunted - Chuck Palahniuk) to start reading it again.

U2 Show is also cool, although - LOL - I haven't read ANY of the text. The pictures though --- :drool:

Huh. I think that's an unfair statement: 'He's so fucking rich'. Not sure why his apparent richness should turn him into a consuming machine. It's smart not to spend all your stuff..besides, perhaps the man wants to leave his chldren a good legacy.
I think it's kind f refreshing to see a celeb who isn't blowing all his money because he's got a lot.
He doesn't seem to have changed since high school.

pulle28 said:
I'm also halfway through. Very interesting.
Any books from Popmart or Elevation with these "on-the-road-insider-accounts"?
But maybe other books give a more detailed insight to Larry's brain/behaviour.
And as said: I'm only halfway through. Maybe he turns out to be a party-booster in the other half.
Another interesting thing from the book:
Crew members talking: "How's Bono's mood?"
"Good, still not great. Lifting from yesterday".

Then Flanagan interrupts:
"Geez, I say, it sound like you guys are issuing weather reports: Number one partly cloudy, clearing expected later. Number three overcast.

"Believe me", the crew member says, "It pays to know".
yeah like popmartijn said Bill wrote an article for Propaganda about this issue. it says that Larry phoned Bill after reading a manuscript of the book and told Bill that he made him seem mean and angry, using words like "Larry sneered," and "Larry retored," and "Larry is pissed." but larry's humor is the one-liner that kicks you in the butt kind, so yeah, it's hard to translate into paper becuase i guess it's a "you kinda had to be there" thing ;] don't worry, he's not an angry mean dude. there's a few excerpts that particulary loved about Larry because it made me laugh.
like the bit with the TV remote control in the car ;]

Yeah, isn't Larry's humour something about 'the straight man who's sick of the idiots around him' kinda thing? Bill says something along those lines in Propaganda. Don't have exact quote! So don't be too harsh on larry, some of the quotes from him make me laugh more than anything!

Back
Top Bottom