"The Screwtape Letters" to become a movie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coemgen

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I was very excited to read about this on RelevantMagazine.com this morning. Walden Media, who gave us "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe," is working with X-Men 3 producer Ralph Winter to bring another C.S. Lewis classic, "The Screwtape Letters," to the big screen in 2008.
The sequel to "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe," "Prince Caspian," also is apparently due out next year.
The first film brought in $744 million worldwide. Like the Narnia series, "The Screwtape Letters," includes Christian themes. The book, which is one of my favorites, is a series of letters from a senior demon, Screwtape, to his nephew, Wormwood. As his mentor, Screwtape advises Wormwood how to undermine the faith and promote sin based on his observations of human nature and Christian doctrine. It's a pretty creepy read, actually.
How I learned about the book was an important part of my faith, as corny as it may seem. I first learned of it from the video for "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me (start watching at the 3:48 mark if you want to skip to it). I later found out that the book was an important part in the development of Bono's character during the Zoo TV tour, MacPhisto. Bono, a fellow Christian and big C.S. Lewis fan, had a cool saying at the time: "Mock the devil, and he will flee from thee. Fear of the devil leads to devil worship."

I kind of have to wonder what sort of a movie this will be. I mean, The Screwtape Letters is an excellent book but I can't imagine it adapting that well into a movie. Not a lot happens. Using Screwtape's voice is a powerful device, but obviously the movie can't just have Screwtape sitting there talking.

Ah well, I guess we shall see.

coemgen said:
Bono, a fellow Christian and big C.S. Lewis fan, had a cool saying at the time: "Mock the devil, and he will flee from thee. Fear of the devil leads to devil worship."

Two things:

1. Thanks for sharing that quote, somehow I've either missed it all these years or just completely forgotten it, but that brings alot of things together for me, when I read that.

2. Thanks for mentioning when the other movies are due out, we'd been wondering when Prince Caspian was due out too!

Back
Top Bottom