Pokey's Book Lounge: The Screwtape Letters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starsgoblue

Blue Crack Addict
Pokey's Book Lounge is open for proverbial business! The goal of this book club is to read and discuss novels/poetry/etc that has been influential to U2 and their music. We're starting the book club with C.S. Lewis's The Screwtape Letters, a classic satire from which Bono based his alternate persona MacPhisto! We are dividing them up into chapters so you can jump in anytime if you want. We are planning on tackling chapters one through five first. Come on in, get comfy and let's begin!

Welcome! :hug:

Last edited:
I have a copy of this book, which I read ages ago, but it's at the cottage, and I won't be back up there for about a month. Damn!:(
I want to join in, so I guess I'll have to buy another copy.
When's the first "meeting"? I think we need to have a deadline of some sort, for this to work.

Hey starsgoblue! Send me an email: playthebluesedge at yahoo dot com. We can figure out the little details for this. It may be easier then posting back and forth.

Emily and Stars,

While you two are working out the details can you choose the next couple of books too please?

I am within walking distance of 3 bookstores and 2 department stores and none of them have The Screwtape Letters in stock.

If I have advance warning I can order the books over the net. Thanks

And no I cant go to the library, Im banned :shifty:

Last edited:
Beli...right now I think we are planning on following up the Screwtape Letters with Lord of the Flies.... doing a wee lil' MacPhisto inspired readings! Right now me and ylime are hammering out the details.

Anyone reading this, you are welcome to join in...we haven't started discussing The Screwtape Letters yet and it's an easy read too!

Cute Irish Bono...yes, you can jump in for the next book. We've decided the order wil first be 1) The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis 2) Lord of the Flies by William Golding 3) Salome by Oscar Wilde

YLime and I have a joint email account setup if you guys have any questions...you can email there and one of us will get back to you. The email is pokeysbooklounge@yahoo.com

We're starting the discussion on Saturday! Look for one of us to post some questions to keep in mind as you read! :wave:

Just a quick note, Salome is a really difficult book to get a hold off in its own right. Isnt in print in Australia, but can be ordered in from the USA. So if you dont live in the USA start looking for it now.

PS Salome is a play, so Im hoping its in one of those Greatest Works thingies.

Salome is a fairly short play, if I remember correctly and can usually be found in a collection of Wilde's stuff. I don't think I've ever seen it sold by itself. If you shop online, most places will list what is in the collection, so just keep an eye out. I hope it doesn't give anyone who wants to join in too many problems.

I didnt know it was a play until this morning :der:

Its downloadable from the net, as long as you can read French lol.

Im sure it in English in print form. Just might take a little while. But we have time so its all good :up:

I'm trying to see if I can find a ebook version of The Screwtape Letters for you Beli...and anyone else that can't track a hard copy down. No promises, but I'm trying.

Also...I'd encourage you guys to watch the Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me video if you have access to it (if not, no biggie)...also familiarize yourself with the songs The Fly, Exit, Can't Help Falling In Love! I'm sure they'll come in handy for discussion! :wink:

Thanks Stars.

I have ordered The Screwtape Letters over the internet as I prefer actual books.

But I will email you to get the digital version to read until the real one arrives.

Lord of the Flies I already own. I dont imagine people would have an access problem with that one. If I can get it here, anyone can lol

Thanks for your assistance. :hug:

Last edited:
Yes, thank you so much guys.:hug: But I don't know where do get those books and school will start for me soon. Thank you for the offer though.;):hug:

Ok, so before we dive into the actual book itself I wanted to give some food for thought about the characters The Fly and MacPhisto and thier relations to The Screwtape Letters.

So from reading the first 5 letters, you know that a senior devil named Screwtape is writing to his young nephew named Wormwood in charge of corrupting a soul. Let's look at the name Wormwood... The book of Revelations on the Bible states that one of the signs of the end of the world will be a huge star polluting rivers/springs, notice here in Rev. 8:10-11:
"The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water-- the name of the star is Wormwood."
So it is clear Lewis took the title Wormwood from the Bible....but who else also talks (or sings rather of stars falling from the sky?)--The Fly!

Well ok, but where the heck does the name The Fly come from anyways? The insect fly is considered to be the agent, or assistant of the devil, once attributed to the pagan god Baal in the Bible. Fly's are associated with decay and disease...THE FLY was a display or corruption and egomania. The Fly, in Bono's own words, is "like a phone call from hell...and the guy likes it there". The Fly is an obnoxious, self-centered, potty mouthed, conceited projection of a rock star wrapped into delusion; his head is filled with love of money, glamour, and other worldy things. No thought is given to God or the nature of life.

To tie in The Fly with Screwtape Letters is the idea of corruption and concentration on worldly things. When The Fly was created it was a projection of a rock and roller down the line...someone that has brought thier whole life focus onto 'thier career and image'. The rock n'roll lifestyle becomes central, and fueling the job is excess and greed. Too much is never enough.

In Lewis' introduction to The Screwtape Letters, he writes: "The greatest evil is not now done in those sordid dens of crime {concentration/labour camps}...But it is concieved and ordered...by quiet men with white collars and cut fingernails and smooth shaven faces who do not need to raise thier voice. Hence my symbol for hell is somehting like the bureaucracy of a police state, or the offices of a throughly nasty business concern"

I found a parallel in a Bono quote from Hot Press Magazine, June '93: "This whole question about the nature of the devil is very important to me. But I don't necessarily see the devil in the kind of darkness most people associate with the devil...for me you see it more in corporate life...Because tthe is a great power people have if nothing will get in their way, if they have no morality, no uncertainty, no doubt. All those things trouble the spirit. This, to me, is where darkness lies."

It is understood that MacPhisto is considered to be The Fly down the line...MacPhisto is The Fly once he has become fully corrupted and doesn't know any other way to live. Corruption worked so through The Fly that MacPhisto's heart has become cold. We'll talk about the nature of MacPhisto next...but for now let's discuss The Fly.

Bono’s Fly doesn’t wear the horns or appear garishly unhuman like MacPhisto because he hasn’t reached any stage of accountability as far as 'evil' goes. He is a glamorous rockstar with a passion for his image, yet he is still earnest in his attempts to conquer the world. Innocence through naivety carries him a long way--- what does his character say about society? About human nature? What was Bono's point? How do you think The Fly's behaviors in concert and video and song relate to Screwtape Letters? Go with it! :up:

Last edited:
Ok...I guess I'll go first. I'm thinking about the beggining of the video for The Fly, where he is running all over town handing out papers and whispering in people's ears. Is he being the proverbial bug in someone's ear? What is he saying. I'm imaging he is saying much of the things that were on the screens of the Zoo TV tour--"Everything You Know Is Wrong", "Watch More TV",etc. The Fly is a corruption of human nature and that's what he is trying to spread. What do we think?

Ooh. I have a copy of this but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. *picks it up*

I'll try to keep up, ladies! Excellent points starsgoblue!

Keocmb...I think I'm just talking to myself right now....We (erm, I) haven't gotten past the introduction yet so you definetly just comment off that long post I wrote--it has the nessacary quotations from the intro. Someone talk with me, or I'll end up like this ---> :crazy: :crack:

This is a great idea, and I say "very well done" to you both for trying to organize this! BUT, you need to give people time to read and digest the selected book. As I said earlier, you must set a deadline (and a generous one), that will give people a chance to buy the book, read it, and then formulate some ideas/responses. You can't announce the book, and then three or four days later start "discussing" it.
I'm not trying to be mean. I think there are a lot of people here who would like to participate, but most book clubs give people a month or so to read the book, not a couple of days.
Why not set a specific deadline for finishing a certain number of chapters, and, if you want, establish some questions/guidelines to be considered while reading? This will make the discussion a lot more meaningful.
Again, I really hope you don't take this the wrong way. :heart:

Hey Biff, thanks but we did decide to give people time to get the book and read the first five letters....I even provided an ebook copy of the Screwtape Letters through email for those who couldn't get an actual copy. We had a weeks times to read 5 letters. We decided to do it in bits...

I'm not mad! :heart: I just don't know if you understood the way everything was set up and provided.

Im here. I have read the first 5 letters once and I'm reading them again. You will have to excuse the slowness from this sleepless mother. :D

PS Im not a Christian. :uhoh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom