New Edition of "Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2" by Stockman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
I can't find too many details on this, but I subscribe to Relevant magazine - they published the original "Walk On" book by Steve Stockman. There is an ad in the May/June issue (w/ Moby on the cover) that says a "New Edition: Updated and Expanded" version of the book will be available on June 28. At the bottom of the ad it says you can pre-order at relevantstore.com, but I searched and couldn't find it on there yet.

Yep, I'm a sucker who has the first edition who will be buying the second edition :tongue:

If your library does not have it, check the Inter-Library Loan policy they have with other libraries. They should be able to get it for you!

SunBloc said:
If your library does not have it, check the Inter-Library Loan policy they have with other libraries. They should be able to get it for you!

:lmao:
You know if it wasn't for that there's loads I would never have been able to read. I use it pretty frequently...maybe a little too much ;) I think sometimes I drive the library ladies nuts, but they are really helpful :)

Am I the only one who finds this book more useful as toilet paper? :reject:

I haven't read the new version yet, but you can find my scathing review of the old one on Amazon.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Am I the only one who finds this book more useful as toilet paper? :reject:

I wouldn't make that strong of a statement, but I do mostly agree with your review on Amazon. I think we can see the root of the problem (i.e., why the book doesn't deliver on its title) in the following description of the author given on Amazon:

"[Stockman] has been using the work of U2 in his sermons and writings for 20 years. "

That is, it seems to me that Stockman uses what he knows or thinks he knows of the bandmembers' histories and the music of U2 to support his own points. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but it seems to me at the very least misleading for the words "The Spiritual Journey of U2" to appear in the title of book that's more about the author's spirituality.

My other complaint about this book is its moments of anti-Catholicism, but they weren't pervasive, just occasional irritations.

I'm sure I'll read this book again, simply because I own it, it's an easy read, and it deals with two of my favorite subjects, but it doesn't deal with either one of them well enough to be a book I'd strongly recommend. That said, I'm happy for any and all who have made progress on their spiritual journeys through Stockman's work.

PoPrika said:

That said, I'm happy for any and all who have made progress on their spiritual journeys through Stockman's work.

I agree here. Like I said, I think it's a terrible book (terribly written, nothing new about U2, author doesn't know them and never interviewed them, nothing that challenging as far as religious issues), but I have a pretty bias point of view being that I probably know 10 times more about U2 than the average person buying this book and know 10 times more about Christianity than the average person becomming interested in Christianity because of this book or U2.

My brother grabbed the new edition for me for xmas.

Its an easy read. But its definitely just a book written by a fan, i found it poorly organized, and really nothing special. Spelling Gandhi wrong was appalling too.

Not that spectacular of a read.

tuwie said:
is this a Bono-heavy book?

Well, I wouldn't call anything about it "heavy"...more like shallow, surface, empty, bla bla bla.....

...but yeah, based on what you mean, it's "Bono-heavy" considering any discussion of lyrical interpretation is based on Bono's lyrics.

The world needs more writers that don't write their own spiritual interpretations of the lyrics written by people they've never even met, let alone know personally.

The world needs more writers that don't write their own spiritual interpretations of the lyrics written by people they've never even met, let alone know personally.

I don't necessarily agree that one has to know personally or even have met artists to write valid interpretations of their work.

However I do agree with you that most of Mr Stockman's observations are not particularly original.

PoPrika said:
My other complaint about this book is its moments of anti-Catholicism, but they weren't pervasive, just occasional irritations.

From my recollection of reading this book, where he criticizes 'the church', either directly or by implication, he seems to be mainly referring to the Christian church in the broader sense, rather than the Roman Catholic church specifically.

financeguy said:

I don't necessarily agree that one has to know personally or even have met artists to write valid interpretations of their work.

However I do agree with you that most of Mr Stockman's observations are not particularly original.

Most are not original in the slightest and the ones that are original are sometimes laughable.

I understand what you're saying w/ your first comment, but consider that most people who read this book are people who are Christians and don't know a lot about U2, or are people who know a lot about U2 but not Christianity. In those contexts, I think the book is somewhat dangerous. People fitting those categories whom I've spoken to about the book have really odd ideas of who Bono is/U2 are or how Christianity and U2 effect each other. For someone like me, I can read that book and go "huh...ok, sure, whatever" and think it was an interesting point of view but I don't agree, etc. but the people I know who've read that book without much prior knowledge of U2/Bono often come away thinking Bono's on some mission from God and U2 is actually a contemporary Christian band disguised as a rock group. :barf:

financeguy said:

I'm going back to this comment because I was talking to one of my communications professors who've I've only known now for two weeks and he is a friend of Stockman's. Interestingly enough, this prof. also agrees that the book is shit. Mostly because of the poor writing, but also he noted that he got a sense that you can tell how much Stockman really idolizes U2 even though he's never met them. It's like if one of the PLEBA girls were to write Bono's biography. It would be better if someone that wasn't such a big fan would take a stab at this subject because while Stockman admits to never interviewing the band, he never really overcomes that.

I'm going back to this comment because I was talking to one of my communications professors who've I've only known now for two weeks and he is a friend of Stockman's. Interestingly enough, this prof. also agrees that the book is shit. Mostly because of the poor writing, but also he noted that he got a sense that you can tell how much Stockman really idolizes U2 even though he's never met them. It's like if one of the PLEBA girls were to write Bono's biography. It would be better if someone that wasn't such a big fan would take a stab at this subject because while Stockman admits to never interviewing the band, he never really overcomes that.

I'm not defending the book as such as of the 6 or 7 books I have read about U2 it is probably one of the weakest, and I agree with much of your review.

The best book I have read about U2 is probably 'Race of Angels' by John Waters. At the time that he wrote it (early to mid '90s) Waters was certainly a U2 fan, although he has expressed dissatisfaction with their more recent output.

Also Niall Stokes who wrote 'Into the Heart' is almost certainly a fan or, at the very least an admirer of their work, but I do not think it detracts from his book. That said, both of these writers interviewed U2 extensively for their books and this was certainly an assistance to them.

John Waters is a good writer, as you would expect from someone who is a career journalist - Steve Stockman is not a writer by profession, and it shows.

Last edited:
financeguy said:

Also Niall Stokes who wrote 'Into the Heart' is almost certainly a fan or, at the very least an admirer of their work, but I do not think it detracts from his book. That said, both of these writers interviewed U2 extensively for their books and this was certainly an assistance to them.

I agree. Not only does Stokes include many, many quotes from the band and his own interviews, but even where there's not a concrete explanation for the lyrics, he gives great info on the general context in order to shed some light on what MIGHT have influenced the song. It's a great book just for the history of U2 and what else was going on in their lives and just in the world in general when the songs were written and composed.

The author, Steve Stockman, is currently in the U.S., and is giving a lecture at Ohio Wesleyan University tonight.

DELAWARE, Ohio -- Rev. Steve Stockman will present "Crumbs From Your Table," a lecture on social justice and U2 front-man Bono on March 2 at 8 p.m. in the Hamilton-Williams Campus Center's Faculty and Staff Dining Room (40 Rowland Ave., Delaware). "Crumbs From Your Table" is sponsored by Ohio Wesleyan's Chaplain's Office.

Stockman, author and chaplain at Queens University in Belfast, Northern Ireland, will present his research and personal work regarding the issues of poverty, the fight against AIDS and racial reconciliation in South Africa. In addition, Stockman will discuss his upcoming work on the humanitarian efforts of Time's "Person of the Year" Bono.

Stockman is the author of Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2, with an updated version having been released in June. He has written two books on popular culture and religion, one book of poetry, and hosts "Rhythm and Redemption," a weekly radio show on BBC Ulster.

For more information, contact Lisa Ho, assistant chaplain for Christian ministry, at 740-368-3083 or via e-mail at llho@owu.edu.

Back
Top Bottom