MERGED->U2 by U2 + U2's Book Delayed due to "punishing schedule"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, we've talked about this book a few times before. It was announced over a year ago, with a different author, and it's been delayed and delayed. McCormick says it's taking him a lot longer to put together than he thought. Glad to see it's finally been listed on Amazon. That's somewhat promising. At least we know it wasn't a figment of our imaginations!:wink: Here's the first announcement I recall seeing about it, from last year:

"Publishers got a sneak peek the past few weeks at what is poised to be one of rock's big publishing events of 2005, an anthology by and about U2. Planned as a full-color photo retrospective, "In the Name of Love: U2 by U2" is proposed to coincide with the release of the band's next and 10th studio album, and timed for the 25th anniversary of the group's first LP, Boy.

The proposal, which was shown to prospective publishers in the past few weeks in the form of a blad — a selection of pages of text, photos and illustrations — includes previously unseen photos of the band throughout its career, such as from album-cover photo shoots with Peter Rowen, the boy who posed for the cover of War and other releases. "It's meant to show the band not just in the context of a rock band, but as figures in world culture," said one publisher who took a look.

The bandmembers themselves did not take meetings to shop the book, but sent out their longtime manager, Paul McGuinness, in their place. (McGuinness' office did not return calls for comment.)

Jim Henke is the proposed writer for the book, since he has had a long history with U2, first having lobbied his bosses at Rolling Stone to feature the group on its cover in 1985 (with the headline, "Our Choice — Band of the '80s"), and then creating an exhibit in 2003 on the band at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, where he is now chief curator. Much of what was included in the exhibit, titled "In the Name of Love: Two Decades of U2," is expected to make the finished book. One of the most extensive exhibitions on one act ever to be displayed in the museum, it included the band's first drum kit, costumes from years of stage productions, the Zoo TV Tour sign, photos by longtime band lensman Anton Corbijn, the first U2 T-shirt, early rejection letters from record labels, meticulous notes by producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois from a couple of recording sessions, and handwritten lyrics.

"Most bands don't have their material tied in as cogently as that," said the publishing source, who asked not to be identified so that negotiations to procure the anthology wouldn't be jeopardized. "If a publisher can make the book work as an event or tie it into a loyal fanbase, there's some gold in them thar hills."

He predicted that the U2 project would command a multimillion-dollar deal once the bids are collected on Monday (March 1)."

I remember this book being talked about last year and I even remember a prototype sitting on a bookshelf in a picture of Neil McCormick that was on U2log a while back (Beli made a game of guessing things on Neil's bookshelf). I just didn't know if this Amazon posting was a new thing or not.
I thought since the book hadn't been released with the album (or even mentioned since it's release) that they had decided not to do it. I'm glad to see it's still a possibility.

Re: U2 by U2

Originally posted by U2dork

It has a release date of September 13.

Interference News Article 3/17
" New In-Their-Words U2 Book For Release... hotpress.com "

This article states the release date as September 9.......

Oh great !!! Now we have to figure out which release date
is "accurate"????? This book's release is probably gonna be
pushed back too, just like "U2 & I" is getting "shuffled around"
release dates. Sometimes I think they should just surprise us...
and not inform the fans about new books being released, then
there wouldn't be any communication barrier. And if a new book
is then delayed in being released, at least we all wouldn't wonder where it is or what happened to it !!!!

I heard a limited number (500?) will be signed. Any ideas how that will be handled? Preorder?

It looks like the book has been delayed again...by ONE YEAR :|

http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/microsites/U2/updates.aspx

With our tour starting imminently we have, quite simply, run out of time to give our book the attention it deserves at this crucial stage in its development. We have therefore decided that the book will be best served by publishing in September 2006 rather than September 2005. In doing this we will be able to spend more time together working on the book, and also, on publication, we will be able to promote it with the time, energy and commitment it deserves.

U2's Book Delayed due to "punishing schedule"

hi I saw this news about the new U2 book being delayed according to mtvnews.com (USA)

... U2's forthcoming book, "U2 by U2," which was set to be released this year, has been postponed. Harper Collins has delayed what was to be the September publication of the book due to the "punishing schedule" of the band's current world tour. ...

The link to this is here http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1500261/20050415/snoop_dogg.jhtml?headlines=true

I dont like hearing they feel punished because we are not punishing anyone they are just in demand.

Just a way of saying that the book isn't a top priority at the moment, I am sure. No big whoop. We have plenty of other things to keep us occupied - album, tour, Anton's book, as well as the soon-to-be released 'In Conversation' book with Bono.

Good times.

Back
Top Bottom