MERGED: Salman Rushdie's TGBHF + has anyone ever read TheGround Beneath her Feet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
Salman Rushdie's TGBHF

I just started reading Salman Rushdie's "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" (my boyfriend bought it for me...what a sweetie
smile.gif
). I haven't gotten very far yet, but I like it so far.

If anybody else stumbles across this post...have you read the book? What do you think of it?

------------------
"I Can Lose Myself, You I Can't Live Without"

I've read a bit of it, still haven't gotten far into it, but it looks good... Nothing great, but entertaining.

just bought it yesterday and am into the 3rd chapter. It's definitely interesting. For some reason, I thought it might be a very dense "artistic" book that I wouldn't be able to enjoy, but so far that hasn't been the case. I must say, at the end of chapter 2, when the narrator repeats "the ground beneath her feet" etc. I felt the urge to put on the MDH soundtrack. Actually now that I think about it, I think that might not be a bad idea. Good background music to read to.
biggrin.gif

will post more as I dig into the book. Knowing me, I'll have it finished shortly...I read FAR too fast. lol.

-sula

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Just finished the book. I enjoyed it...even though I'm not sure if I totally understood it. lol. It was definitely interesting...did anyone else catch the subtle reference to U2 as a "promising quartet from Ireland called Vox Pop"?
biggrin.gif

Kind of a strange and neurotic read. I gotta say, I wasn't a big fan of Vina. There seemed very little to love in her character. But I was sooo relieved and happy that Rai ends up alright in the end, with someone that actually deserves him.

Did anyone else think that the references made to the "other" world, the one that Ormus sees through his other eye is actually the world we know, and the world of the novel is the imaginary one?

Again...interesting book, and for $6, I don't regret adding it to my collection of "U2-related" paraphenalia.
biggrin.gif

-sula

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

My thoughts on the book are pretty similar to sula's, interesting but maybe to intellectual for me. I really liked the end, my thought upon finishing the book was "wow that was a really good ending! was the rest of the book that good as well and I just didn't notice?"

And yeah, I think the "other" world is indeed our world, I thought that was made sort of obvious.

I bought the book and read I think the first 2 chapters, but i never managed to get into the story. Too confusing, too strange. I gave it to our local libary.

------------------
~ The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens ~

I'm reading it as we speak...chapter 2..it's good so far. Not my normal style of reading, but enough to keep my interest so far. And some beautiful passages...

Originally posted by wertsie:
I just bought it today. Gonna start reading tonight. I'll get back to you!

So?
tongue.gif

(Yes, I had to ressurect this thread.
wink.gif
)

I got it a few days ago.. bargain bin table because the side of the book got sunfaded and it couldn't be sold at normal price. Anyway, so far it is very good. I definitely think some people wouldn't understand it though.

------------------
"I dance much better horizontally than vertically." - Bono

Popheart.org

I have to say I started and then drifted away also. I would like to try again. I think one of the problems was little time to read a substantial portion in one sitting - which can be a very disjointed method of reading. Regardless, I'd say it's not an easy read, but couldn't be compared to, say, drilling teeth, and seems it might be worth the extra effort.

The post is already a bit older, but nevertheless:
I read The Ground Beneath Her Feet already some time ago and it's become one of my fave books! It is brilliant written like all the books of Salman Rusdie, but I haven't quite thought about Ormus' "other" world as our real one right from the beginning though it seems logical too me.:yes:
Even guys who read the book because of me think it is great - and it is indeed a big honour for the book if they say it since nobody I know wants to admit that U2 related things are fenomenal. ;)

I just started reading this book. I read Rushdie's Haroun and the Sea of Stories in the spring semester, so I'm looking forward to reading this one. Someone should have warned that there are spoilers in this thread, though. :madspit:

Wow...this thread is over a year old! *lol*

I actually was reading this book again the other day...and I agree, sula...there is not much to live in Vina's character. I often find myself thinking she is such a bitch...why the hell do you love her so much, Rai????

But...such is love...

I'm really bad...I read about 200 pages and just stopped...Hopefully I will be able to get myself back into it eventually!

I've read on an interview Salman talking about this book. It's interesting to observe that he told the book is about an old myth,
Orfeu and Euridice. If you know their story, it'll be easier to understand TGBHF. And yes, it makes sense to believe that the "real world" was actually unreal and vice versa. In this case, Ormus would be Orfeu and Vina, Euridice.

adamswildhoney said:
Im bad because i havent read the book yet!:(

*runs and hides*
:| Yes. You are bad. You are very bad. Go on and buy the book. Now. :|

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd become a book seller in the future.......

I've just finished reading it, and all I have to say is:

WOWWW!!!!!

I love it. It's so interesting (except some not really long parts which are a bit boring). Enjoy it!

I read the book and it's great... At the beginning it is veeeeery slow moving, so I'm really NOT surprised that a lot of you guys stopped reading after the first 200 pages or so... but the last 100-200 pages are GREAT. Couldn't stop reading at the end... I simply couldn't pt the book away and kept on reading all day long!

Nevertheless, I liked the SATANIC VERSES better...

asha said:

Nevertheless, I liked the SATANIC VERSES better...

I checked that book out of the library when I was like 15, and my mom saw it and returned it. :shifty: That was 5 years ago, and I still haven't read it. Mayhaps I should pick it up!

I started reading this book a few weeks ago... Takes me about an hour each chapter, on average.

I have to say, since reading "Midnight's Children", I am a very big fan of Rushdie... His narrative voice is very stylish and vigorous and vibrant. Reading his novels is like listening to a great speaker gesticulating on stage. I never get bored, unlike (coughVictoriannovelscough).

I'm on Chapter 10 or 11... I take a lotta breaks, cuz it takes some time for the material to sink in.

But man, I never cease to be amazed by his power of language. :bow:

theSoulfulMofo said:
But man, I never cease to be amazed by his power of language. :bow:

:up:

Last summer I read TGBHF and then quickly proceeded to devour Midnight's Children, The Satanic Verses, Shame, and The Jaguar Smile

The man has a way of expression that's so incredibly beautiful... sometimes I don't even pay attention to the sense of what I'm reading, I just listen to the sound. He's incredible. :yes:

Wow. I found the book at borders for $5.00 and can't wait to get at it. It will have to wait for a while though. Can't wait to read it!!:yes: :yes: :wave:

Back
Top Bottom