MERGED --> MERGED --> I was Bono's Doppelganger + "Killing Bono" discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've just started it and am enjoying it very much. It's funny and easy to read, and it's interesting so far to read about U2's very very very early days, when they were still in school!

I did receive my US version yesterday, so now have both. The covers are different and the US does have pictures in it that the UK doesn't, but nothing incredibly significant. There is one of U2's first gig - but it's very far away so a bit tough to really see much. Haven't looked super-closely, but the text itself seems to be the same.

Anyways, for anyone who has gone through the music business- it's a horrible place and absolutely has been throughout history. As Elton John said "the best book about trying to make it in the music biz". I have read lots of books and this is by far the best one. I am also one of the biggest U2 fans ever

example, Every label passed on the Beatles the first time

Most bands are always passed over and given the standard form (thanks but not right now)

I have had 3 record deal offers in 5 years with my old band
each time, some unforseeable thing happened to ruin it
1. A&R guy gets fired in contract negotiations
2. Manager has fight with head of legal. deal off
3. This is the worst.. Big Big label ends up folding

I am not bitter nor cynical . I just refuse to play by their rules and for those who are trying to get signed.. just remember to always have a clear vision , don't compromise artistically and never give up.

So is the general consensus that it's good, the book? I mean, say, compared to Flanagan's? (That's the only bit of U2 literature I have, so it's my only point of comparison.) If y'all tell me it's good I might just go out and buy it...

I thought it was very good - but you need to understand, it's not really about U2. It's about Neil McCormick's struggle to make it in the music business - he's an old friend of Bono's and so Bono makes appearances now and then in the book. I really enjoyed it, though.

Well, I'm not so crazy that I can't enjoy a good book if it doesn't have Bono in it. :wink: I'll take your word for it, though.

book called "killing bono"

anyone ever heard of it? a friend of mine said she swore she had heard something about it...

"i'm not sure if it was true...i missed that part, but it's about a guy who grew up with bono and was trying to get into the music business as well"

anyone?

I read this a few weeks ago - couldn't put it down. I finished it in about 2 hours, with much giggling along the way. It's a great book.

You'll love it!

I actually think I should read it again soon. :hmm:

I have so much other stuff I need to read too though! I've got stacks of stuff on my bed. Mostly magazines, but those are important too. :wink:

I actually was looking for this yesterday in Borders but couldnt find it. (Maybe i should use Amazon...:reject: ) I once used to buy Hot Press like a mofo and I always loved his articles. I always knew his book would be good and reading your comments certainly confirms it.

I love this book. Bought it for U2, but ended up loving it for the way Neil McCormick talked about sex, drugs, and the trials and tribulations of making it into the music business. Couldn't put it down.

Read this cover to cover last night (till 2.45 am) and absolutely loved it! I always loved Neil's articles in Hot Press (second only to the great Bill Graham) and just knew he would write a special story.

Reading those final chapters, I was bawling! He took me on a journey that had amazing highs and so many horrible lows. And his portrait of Bono was just perfect - he didn't try to glorify him, nor did he try to knock him down. Brilliant book!

I've been blessed, in that I have been able to find End of the World, Bono in Conversation, and Killing Bono all at the libraries in my area, because I wouldn't have been able to afford to buy them. They are great books.

Back
Top Bottom