MERGED ----> Book Signing - NYC + Tuesday, NYC + NYC booksigning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I waited at the back door for them to arrive and I was very successful , pictures of the guys, me & Bono, he signed my eduns, and edge signed my jacket. I am glad I didnt get into the book signing because I wouldn't have my picture then.

JCOSTER said:
I waited at the back door for them to arrive and I was very successful , pictures of the guys, me & Bono, he signed my eduns, and edge signed my jacket. I am glad I didnt get into the book signing because I wouldn't have my picture then.

:ohmy: :ohmy: JCOSTER YOU GOT TO SEE THEM!!!!
WOW! I'm SOO happy for you!! :applaud: :dancing:

can't wait to see your pics! You must be floating!!!! Isn't this your first time meeting them?

that's so awesome!!!! we want details!! :rockon:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
haha no gimmie a sec... i gotta gather my thoughts and upload my pictures.

considering i haven't slept since, oh let's see, since i woke up at 6:15 am... YESTERDAY... i'd consider my abilities to opperate at a sufficent manner right now quite impressive.

Fnally someone who actually got in!

::Waits::

Headache in a Suitcase said:
haha no gimmie a sec... i gotta gather my thoughts and upload my pictures.

considering i haven't slept since, oh let's see, since i woke up at 6:15 am... YESTERDAY... i'd consider my abilities to opperate at a sufficent manner right now quite impressive.

Upload them, baby!!! :hyper:

Thanks for all the reportage last night and today (among other things), btw. :wink:

We just got home. I got in the signing, but Sarah and my son David, and my husband Mark waited by the back entrance...honestly, they made out better than me! They hung out with JCOSTER, and we are SO HAPPY for her. I've been sick, but we will post more after i get some food and water into me. We got lots of pics too. I'll let sarah share her story, but I will say that she is VERY HAPPY!

Headache's U2 by U2 Book Signing Adventure

Being a U2 fan at times like this is a very sado-masochistic thing... pain, torture... capped off with unbelievable ecstasy (how's that for poetic liscense :wink: )

I got home from work yesterday around 5:00, with plans of catching a train into Manhattan after the U2/Green Day performance. That plan lasted, oh, 5 minutes. I call up my friend Pat Bremmer (u2mart.com pat), who told me he heard from someone at the scene that the line was already up to around 40 people, and that he was on his way to the train station to head in from CT. i abandoned my previous plans, showered up, grabbed the first clean shirt i could find and headed out the door, catching a 6:30 train into manhattan, arriving at Penn around 7:15. hopped the subway down to union square and spotted the barnes and nobles.

much to my surprise, there was no one there. no one. not a soul. i walked inside, walked around, couldn't find a single u2 related person. finally after a couple of minutes of this, i asked a person at the info desk what the deal was. well, the deal was that there are TWO barnes and nobles in union square... the one i was in specialized in college text books for NYU.

great.

jogged out of the place, turned the corner and jogged another block over, and low and behold... another barnes and nobles, this one much bigger, and... tada... a line.

253656033_dd65a4f213.jpg

i signed myself up... approx. 7:45... #70 in line. 10 minutes later pat shows up, #71. we talk to a our line mates for a bit, talk to a few other people we know from the line, and then decide to make it our mission to watch the pre-game show. bars in union square are a bit touristy, so this provided to be a bit harder than expected.

we settled on heartland brewery, diagnoly across the square from B&N... went in, spotted a few more u2 psychonutjobs we know, and asked the bartenders in a place that doesn't exactly cater to football type crowds if they could pump the sound on teh TVs up.

ummm no. best they could do is turn the volume on the actuall TVs up and we could stand close to them to try and hear over the stereo system.

the antethesis of u2 patheticness... standing in a bar across from a line where you'll be sleeping on concrete, trying to hear from a mini speaker on a tv that's 10 feet in the air...

253656052_039964dc28.jpg

oh what we'll do in the name of u2...

i need to go eat my first real meal in 2 days... i'll return for part 2 afterwords :wink:

tbird said:
I just got back to my office... and after waiting aimlessly by the back door, I swung around the front.
And I had my one on one with Larry... amazing...
He signed my U2 by U2 book – while everyone was clamoring around the door, I slipped into the street and wound up on the drivers side of the car where he was slipping in… I tapped on the window and held the book. He said & gestured to “come around” the security guard let me around the passenger side and took the book, I stood at the door talking to Larry… I think I had to be shouting at him b/c I was so overwhelmed – I was telling him about the Vegas incident and the drumstick and we exchanged some “what’s?” because to of the noise and he was laughing. He said ‘sorry’ when I said I should have thought the bring the stick… amazing...
Yay tbird...sounds like you had an awesome experience :applaud: :applaud:

OK, well yeah...today was amazing. I'm pretty busy with homework right now so I'll post more later! But Bono and Edge signed my "Bono hat" and my picture of me on his back and I got a huge hug and kiss (on the head). And they signed my brother's tour tshirt too. Bono was sooo sweet! And John was extremely helpful and hilarious. My mom said it was really quick up stairs and that we made out better! :D

Part Duex...

After the GD/U2 performance ended we headed back to the line and sat down for a while. This is where we began to realize that the people directly in front of us weren't exactly the prototypical u2 fans. it didn't take very long to figure out that they were autograph scalpers, and of the most unsavory variety at that. every other word out of their mouths was "f this" and "f that." they had bragged about doing this for paul mccartney & bill clinton, as well as staking out various other big celeb spots in new york... letterman, daily show, trl, etc, and they had a nice discussion with each other about their various arrest records. wonderful.

a half dozen or more people kept joining that group as the night went on, causing some complaints from the rest of the group, but frankly, they did not give a crap. the only thing that would have made a difference was a physical confrontation, and none of us really wanted to get arrested over such low life pieces of crap, so that wasn't really an option. and besides, they readily showed that they had no problem with physical confrontation, considering that many of them couldn't stop fighting with each other... one particular ruckuss brought on the arrival of an NYPD cruiser and an NYPD van to defuse the situation. needless to say, sleep was not much of an option.

about 15 minutes or so after the cops had finally left, i noticed that i was missing my cell phone. i asked around, and one of the guys sitting behind us said that he saw a cell phone fall to the ground durring the scattering when the "fight" first happened, and that he picked it up and asked if anyone dropped it, and one of our lovely neighbors claimed it as his. this fine gentleman... who would take breaks in line to go smoke up, and by his shakes and constant scratching and nose rubbing, i highly doubt pot was the worst of what he was doing... disapeared when the cops left.

at this point i had found out from the guy in line that he had found my cell phone and given it to crack head guy. i proceeded, very nicely, to ask the rest of their group if they noticed a cell phone, which of course they did not. half an hour later crack head guy returned, and the guy in line who gave him the phone asked him about it, and he kept walking, returning 5 minutes later with the phone, claming that he was a "man of honor" because he returned the phone that he had already stolen. yup... man of honor.

about the only highlight of the evening was peeking through the windows of barnes and noble at 3ish in the morning and seeing the U2 by U2 books being unloaded.

253656208_2fd8a4e1ee.jpg

Bring it on!!! Have you fallen asleep or what????

Pat says Hi from I95....like the river, er highway!

btw...sooooooo happy for you guys!!!! Mission Accomplished!

Last edited:
part three...

as the sun finally rose, we were greated by the oh so quietness of a street sweeper, a group of fire trucks and a garbage truck...
253656332_fbd83e3a1b.jpg

253656370_381e6660da.jpg

at this point everyone's nerves were a little rattled from a night on concrete with minimal sleep. finally around 7ish some security and police slowly started to arrive. first some people went by with clickers, counting up all the people... i overheard the lady with the clicker tell her partner that they "simply didn't have enough" for all the people on line.

so we sat there, cramping up, sore, jacked up on caffeene and no-doze, as the B&N staff tried to get control of the line. one of the managers was ready to go exactly by the list and numbers, to the T (the one in the tie in this picture), but apparently was called off by his superior (no tie) who claimed that they couldn't do that because it wasn't recognized by the store...
253656631_6d8e2be4fd.jpg

this obviously caused some more friction between a group of antsy, tired people... esp. between those true fans and those who were admittedly there to earn a quick buck. at one point a mother with her son and husband cut in line behind us and were called out on it. she claimed to have #84, had been there since 3am and was sleeping in her car because of her young son... which may have worked as a story except for the fact that to get #84 she would have had to have been there no later tha 9pm... 3 am would put her in the mid 100s at least. so one B&N guard kicked them out of the line... only to have another B&N guard put them back in... 40 spots ahead of where they were kicked out of. you figure it out, i can't.

there were some very anxious moments as 9:00 approached... around quarter to they closed off the line at the back of our section, claming that only the first 100 were getting in, but not taking into effect the number system. this let some who were over 100 in, and some who were at or a little under 100 out. unfortunatly those who were left out were mostly the true fans, while the autograph scalpers ended up getting in. of the 100 fans let in from the initial line, i'd say about 30% of them were autograph scalpers. such a shame. i felt horrible for those who were left out, but at the same time estatic that we got in... my number was 77 out of 100, pat's was 84th.
253656858_d46a29c078.jpg

253656927_3758dd6b7e.jpg

253657064_6a270848ee.jpg

253657122_c90f860d8e.jpg

part whatever the hell part it is, i'm tired, i forget

so the day went on... and on... and on... for what seemed like forever. now on 30+ hours without sleep, it was getting harder and harder to keep focus. a stir would happen in the crowd and you'd get your second wind thinking something was finally happening, but then nothing did, and you crashed again. my back was cramping up, my legs were killing, my eyes were burning from having my contacts in for waaaaaaay too long... overall, i felt, and probably looked, like shit. the only thing keeping me from falling over was knowing that eventually u2 would be here, and i would get to meet them.

the press started flowing into the room, which obviously got everyone's hopes up that things were finally happening... well, other than some photo's of the crowd, and a few interviews with fans by NBC and VH1 (which included pat, that kiss ass in the bono shades :wink: )... nothing really happened.
253658173_20fd9d364c.jpg

253658277_65c0110815.jpg

one thing i did notice as we waited was that once that u2.com winners were let in, the number of autograph scalpers in the room was dwarfed compared to the true fans... the 20-30 looked like a lot in the first 100, but when you add in 200+ more real fans, it didn't look quite as bad. still a shame, though...

anyhoo... finally around 2:30 the band, whom were doing promo stuff in the back, out of sight, made their way into the main part of the room. they did some press shots in front of the stack of books that was set up to the left of the crowd... our view was blocked by press, but you've seen all the pics on yahoo already... this is what we saw
253658709_7c5c786f24.jpg

finally they made their way onto the stage and the book signing began
253658792_90b9db474b.jpg

253659052_4ae65d5100.jpg

253659514_08a237f089.jpg

253659171_9b5928878d.jpg

So the bottom line is if you didn't sleep on the pavement for 30+ hours and were not a :censored: ebay seller/person whatever, you weren't getting in unless you won? That just really sucks, I would've been crippled for a week sleeping on the sidewalk :crack: It seems like no one got in, that just wrong!

Thank god I didn't take the day off :mad:

wow Headache - what a story. Very happy for you and can't wait to hear more, if you haven't already passed out. Congrats :happy:

And Sarah & Mom - can't wait to hear more from you guys as well. Congrats to you too :wink: :up:

you give the staff your camera as you approach the stage, and they take pictures for you as you have your book signed. hey... works for me!

as i started stepping on the stage, the excitement was at an amazingly high level. i kept trying to think of what i was going to say to them (you'd think i had thought ahead on that department).

so i get up on stage, and edge is first.

now before i go on with this story, i first must tell this one. as many of you may or may not know, my name is shannon. yes, a guy named shannon. for some that is strange, for some it isn't. anyhoo, i've spent a large part of my life repeating my name to people over and over again, who assume when i said shannon that i actually said something else.

so here i am, face to face, hand in hand with the edge. and he asks me what my name is... to which i replied, out of no where... "shannon... like the river." the edge chuckled, signed my book, and it's on to the B-man...

253659650_5a9e841f8d.jpg

253660247_2520710735.jpg

so here i am face to face, shaking hands with my hero, bono... looking quite bad ass with his pop-esque hair cut, i must say. so bono decides to draw a picture in my book, of what, i still don't know. when he finishes, he asks what my name is... to which i reply, in the biggest 12 year old giddy kid voice i could possibly do... "uh... shannon... like the river."

like the river??? what the fuck am i thinking! do i mention my webpage? of course not... i say my name is like the river... twice. great. thank you sleep deprevation lol.

so as i finish telling bono that my name is like the river, he looks at me, tilts his head a little, and replies... "uh... right then" and turns and goes on to the next signee, ugh lol.

(stupid staff guy took my picture right as some douche walked in front of my camera)
253659767_a4c28c514b.jpg

253660290_59551cc928.jpg

i move on to larry, who gives me the classic larry face, shakes my hand, signs my book and gives me a simple "slainte" and moves on to the next. adam was his usuall cool self, thanked me for coming and off the stage i go... security ushered everyone out of the room immediately after they left the stage so as not to get any lingerers.
253659853_ab3a066976.jpg

253660442_683285cae6.jpg

253660372_8ba5c7ca27.jpg

now as i'm at the bottom of the escelators on the third floor, i hear a "wooooooo" go up from the crowd above on the 4th. i don't really think anything of it until 2 minutes later when pat comes down, with the same 12 year old girl at an n'sync concert grin on his face.

as pat walked on to the stage (i was told... couldn't see 'cause they push you out so quickly), bono started eyeing pat's blue bvlgari's, and a few seconds later, motioned for pat to swap sunglasses with him... they later swapped back.

now of course, i am not the only tounge tied doof who was too giddy to speak with any sort of intellegence... pat tells bono of u2mart.com, to which B replied that he will have to check it out. simple enough... but when pat explained to him his webpage, he tells Bono... "U2Mart, you know, like Pop Mart" as if bono wouldn't have figured it out on his own lol. ah what these guys do to us.

253659972_0720fea04e.jpg

anyways... i'm tired, i wanna go to bed... but alas, what would a headache story with pictures be, without a celebratory pint and a celebratory drunk headache face

253660161_ea4c03890a.jpg

Sliante!!!

i never knew headache was such a fanboy :sexywink:

you should so sell that book on ebay

Back
Top Bottom