I am reading "walk On, the spiritual journey of U2"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabiggestu2fan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
MY gf surprised me the other day by giving me a book called "walk on" a spiritual journy of U2 and let me tell you its so interesting! I didn't know so much about the aspect of their religion and how religion shaped their music and how the church percieved them! I mean i knew the basics like when Bono edge and larry would read the bible on the back of the tour bus while Adam would be in the front with Poul and how they almost didn't make it during October recordings but there is so much more. I highly recomend this book!

Nico

I finally tracked it down from an out of state library (where I've managed to get some other hard to find books about U2). It IS a great read.

I read it too! Great book. The more you read about U2, the deeper (better) their songs become. I was amazed at how many churches across the US are using these songs as part of their worship services!! I guess, though, we all use them in a similar way!

dabiggestu2fan said:
MY gf surprised me the other day by giving me a book called "walk on" a spiritual journy of U2 and let me tell you its so interesting! I didn't know so much about the aspect of their religion and how religion shaped their music and how the church percieved them! I mean i knew the basics like when Bono edge and larry would read the bible on the back of the tour bus while Adam would be in the front with Poul and how they almost didn't make it during October recordings but there is so much more. I highly recomend this book!

Nico

Thanks for recommendation - I need to get this book!

I've read it, twice.

I enjoyed it, I really did, but I think that it would be great if Stockman would be able to interview the band itself to get their thoughts on it all, as Steve seems to get onto a thought pattern then goes off in a tangent.

I'm a strong christian and agree with what he is saying, but he seems to just meander a bit.

Agree/disagree?

I think while it is great to get some insights about the songs...I think the book may have exaggerated a bit.

I can't find my copy amid my chaotic room, but I could've sworn there was some sort of text saying that U2 inspired Bruce Springstein. Plus, I felt the author was being way too generous with his praises of ATYCLB...but that's just me.

Other than that though, a good read.

I got it.

Quite boring for me. I hope U2 by U2 is better. I just got a gift card from Borders for my b-day so I will buy it today! :hyper:

redhotswami said:
I think while it is great to get some insights about the songs...I think the book may have exaggerated a bit.

I can't find my copy amid my chaotic room, but I could've sworn there was some sort of text saying that U2 inspired Bruce Springstein. Plus, I felt the author was being way too generous with his praises of ATYCLB...but that's just me.

Other than that though, a good read.

I'm pretty sure he talked about U2 being inspired BY Bruce. But in some ways it could be the other way around. If you watch Bruce's induction speech for the hall of fame it is not farfetched to say they inspired him. Bruce's respect and admiration of them were blatantly obvious.

Dana

I saw this book at the bookstore the other day. Not quite sure if I want to get it (yet) though. It's certainly interesting. I skimmed through most of the Reinvention section. Couldn't help myself.

I just bought this on Friday, and I finished it yesterday. :nerd: I thought it would be great if he could interview them too, but he seems to have a great knowledge of them and where they stand. The book is full of quotes from the boys themselves that he simply expounds upon which I like. I also thought he did a great job explaining the whole point of ZOO TV and POPmart which many people did not and still do not understand. All of that was showing the ridiculousness of a world that's forgotten God and become obsessed with materialism and their own power. It's a great book, IMO!

I'm not a big fan of Stockman because of how he went about this book. He's spoken at my college several times since writing the book (since it's a Christian college and we can't get U2) and is an acquaintance with one of my profs and everyone agrees he's a terrible writer, he doesn't even know the band, and he's become semi-famous for this "non-topic". I had a long talk with my prof about this (the one who knows Stockman) and it was an interesting convo being that this is a communications theory prof and he said that while Stockman is a perfectly nice guy, it's like he just woke up one day and decided to write a book about U2 and spirituality, because he's a huge U2 fan with nothing better to write about at the time, and obviously people would buy it. We agreed that people should write because of something that comes to them when they are not paying attention, not something they decide and go searching for, if that makes sense. Like it would be one thing of Stockman was a friend of Bono's and knew all these personal struggles he's had and then was so inspired, he wrote a book, but instead he was like "I'm a huge U2 fan and a writer so I'll make up a book about U2's spirituality."

I appreciate the book for what it provides for people that are either new to U2 or new to Christian spirituality, but beyond that it's nothing but a report about U2 and some personal interpretations of lyrics. One thing that bugs me is some of the assumptions he makes about certain lyrics are dead wrong based on what Bono's actually said about them.

His approach to spirituality and theology in this book is surface at best, and the information about U2 is nothing a fan couldn't find in any other U2 book or Rolling Stone article.

martha said:
:up:

Lies, I liked what you said. I haven't been able to decide why I didn't like this book, and I think you were able to say it for me. Especially the "surface" part.

Thanks, I was hoping it would make some sense. I don't mean to be overly critical, because I've met enough people who actually came to God via U2 by reading this book to appreciate what it can mean to some people, but knowing more about the author and his motives helped me understand why it left a bad taste in my mouth.

PietroChocko said:

I enjoyed it, I really did, but I think that it would be great if Stockman would be able to interview the band itself to get their thoughts on it all

I agree, I believe that Bono is the heir to the great Billy Graham as the most influential Christian in Popular Culture. . . . .

Liesje said:
I'm not a big fan of Stockman because of how he went about this book. He's spoken at my college several times since writing the book (since it's a Christian college and we can't get U2) and is an acquaintance with one of my profs and everyone agrees he's a terrible writer, he doesn't even know the band, and he's become semi-famous for this "non-topic". I had a long talk with my prof about this (the one who knows Stockman) and it was an interesting convo being that this is a communications theory prof and he said that while Stockman is a perfectly nice guy, it's like he just woke up one day and decided to write a book about U2 and spirituality, because he's a huge U2 fan with nothing better to write about at the time, and obviously people would buy it. We agreed that people should write because of something that comes to them when they are not paying attention, not something they decide and go searching for, if that makes sense. Like it would be one thing of Stockman was a friend of Bono's and knew all these personal struggles he's had and then was so inspired, he wrote a book, but instead he was like "I'm a huge U2 fan and a writer so I'll make up a book about U2's spirituality."

I appreciate the book for what it provides for people that are either new to U2 or new to Christian spirituality, but beyond that it's nothing but a report about U2 and some personal interpretations of lyrics. One thing that bugs me is some of the assumptions he makes about certain lyrics are dead wrong based on what Bono's actually said about them.

His approach to spirituality and theology in this book is surface at best, and the information about U2 is nothing a fan couldn't find in any other U2 book or Rolling Stone article.

If the prof is someone who knows Stockman than he should know that Relevant approached Stockman about writing the book and that Stockman, as a known U2 fan had been constantly bombarded with people wanting to know how U2 could still be Christian when they wrote Still Haven't Found. So maybe he's not the best author in the world but I thought he did a decent job for someone who's first job is that of minister. I've read much worse from people who's first job is author. As for the lack of interviews with the band, sure that would have been great but very unlikely and Stockman actually approached the book from a standpoint of only looking at their work and publically available info which is valid. Yes you can tell what his pet peeves are because he tends to go on a bit about them but all in all it is a very good synopsis of their spiritual journey and a great reference especially for those who don't have the time or inclination to wade through hundreds of interviews and articles to get their own take on it.

Dana

If anyone is really into this book and lives in/near west Michigan, Stockman's coming back to my school to speak (I think this will be his third year now?). PM me for ticket info.

I would like to say I have read the book, but the most I can say is that I bought it, and have picked through some of it, but honestly, this guy is such a BAD writer some of it pains me to read.

I do think the book has a great premise, and may even have some good information, but the writing style just kills it for me. Bummer.:sad: Does this guy make his living as a writer??

I did just finish U2 by U2 (took quite awhile because the format makes it difficult to read anywhere but at home!), and that is a fabulous book that I would highly recommend to anyone.

Liesje said:

Thanks, I was hoping it would make some sense. I don't mean to be overly critical, because I've met enough people who actually came to God via U2 by reading this book to appreciate what it can mean to some people, but knowing more about the author and his motives helped me understand why it left a bad taste in my mouth.

I totally know what you mean. I read the first edition of it I dunnow, about 8 or so years ago when it had first come out - wasn't really into Christianity (despite my family being so...) and my older brother bought it for me. I found it interesting back then, except that I only knew a few songs so I couldn't really make a judgment on what Stockman was writing about.

So since then I've gotten into Christianity, much more into U2. And because of that I wanted to get the book again so I could cross-reference his comments with the songs and maybe get a bit more insight on them. Maybe it's because I'm at university now and a bit older with a different/better perspective on Christianity and how U2 portray theirs (which I love and admire immensely), but having just started to read it again, so far I've found it a bit insubstantial, and not trying to sound snobbish, but felt a bit uncomfortable with the familiar tone he wrote with.

I totally admire his efforts to open the more conservative sects of Christianity to the strong vein of spirituality that runs through their work and lives, and I think you're right in that it has impacted a lot of people on their way to finding God, but if you've been into the band (or God!) for a while, there are most likely more substantial things to be reading on this issue. I'd love to see a real academic probing of their songs - would be totally mad!

andberlin said:

I totally know what you mean. I read the first edition of it I dunnow, about 8 or so years ago when it had first come out - wasn't really into Christianity (despite my family being so...) and my older brother bought it for me. I found it interesting back then, except that I only knew a few songs so I couldn't really make a judgment on what Stockman was writing about.

So since then I've gotten into Christianity, much more into U2. And because of that I wanted to get the book again so I could cross-reference his comments with the songs and maybe get a bit more insight on them. Maybe it's because I'm at university now and a bit older with a different/better perspective on Christianity and how U2 portray theirs (which I love and admire immensely), but having just started to read it again, so far I've found it a bit insubstantial, and not trying to sound snobbish, but felt a bit uncomfortable with the familiar tone he wrote with.

I totally admire his efforts to open the more conservative sects of Christianity to the strong vein of spirituality that runs through their work and lives, and I think you're right in that it has impacted a lot of people on their way to finding God, but if you've been into the band (or God!) for a while, there are most likely more substantial things to be reading on this issue. I'd love to see a real academic probing of their songs - would be totally mad!

Have you read Christian Scharen's book, "One Step Closer: Why U2 Matters to Those Seeking God"? He does a pretty in depth study of U2's work in relation to the theology of the Cross as opposed to the theology of Glory. It's a really great book but keep in mind that he is looking only at the songs not the band as people. It is a pretty thorough analysis of their work from Boy to Bomb and what struck me most is that in the end you can look at this one of two ways. Either the scope of their work covers a deliberate, planned theological message or God has worked through them to present a comprehensive teaching.

Actually I'm thinking about going back and reading both of these books together although it might be hard to combine them because Scharen's book doesn't go through the songs chronologically but rather explores the various "voices" used.

Dana

rihannsu said:

Have you read Christian Scharen's book, "One Step Closer: Why U2 Matters to Those Seeking God"? He does a pretty in depth study of U2's work in relation to the theology of the Cross as opposed to the theology of Glory. It's a really great book but keep in mind that he is looking only at the songs not the band as people. It is a pretty thorough analysis of their work from Boy to Bomb and what struck me most is that in the end you can look at this one of two ways. Either the scope of their work covers a deliberate, planned theological message or God has worked through them to present a comprehensive teaching.

Actually I'm thinking about going back and reading both of these books together although it might be hard to combine them because Scharen's book doesn't go through the songs chronologically but rather explores the various "voices" used.

Dana

I haven't read it, no, but I'd definitely be interested to. I've always wanted to read something like this, something that goes a bit more in depth. And I suppose knowing what I know about them from having read other books I can keep it all in mind as I'm reading it. But yeah, it is an interesting premise: I've always thought they're at their best when they're not being too deliberate, I suppose for me it more honestly reflects the scattered nature of our lives, and also, as you said leaves more room for God to speak through them.

Cheers for the heads-up! :up:

andberlin said:

I haven't read it, no, but I'd definitely be interested to. I've always wanted to read something like this, something that goes a bit more in depth. And I suppose knowing what I know about them from having read other books I can keep it all in mind as I'm reading it. But yeah, it is an interesting premise: I've always thought they're at their best when they're not being too deliberate, I suppose for me it more honestly reflects the scattered nature of our lives, and also, as you said leaves more room for God to speak through them.

Cheers for the heads-up! :up:

There is another interesting one called "Religious Nuts, Political Fanatics" by Robert Vagacs. It was adapted from his Masters Thesis titled "The Poet's Voice in Postmodern Culture: Heard Through the Music of U2". Don't skip the Forward and the Preface because they are as interesting as the book. He makes a comment in the Preface that he believes U2 lyrics should be listened to as well as read. That is something that I have noticed as well. My daughter and I were talking about this the other day. We were looking at some of the lyrics and I could see she was remembering hearing the songs as she read them and at first she looked kind of confused, then she laughed and said, "You know, only Bono could get away with singing stuff like that." I know that I find a big difference to the way I percieve the song going from reading the lyrics, to listening to the song, the on to seeing him perform them. Sometimes what people complain about being the cheesiest of lyrics will turn out to be the best part of the song once you've heard it or seen it.

Dana

rihannsu said:

There is another interesting one called "Religious Nuts, Political Fanatics" by Robert Vagacs. It was adapted from his Masters Thesis titled "The Poet's Voice in Postmodern Culture: Heard Through the Music of U2". Don't skip the Forward and the Preface because they are as interesting as the book. He makes a comment in the Preface that he believes U2 lyrics should be listened to as well as read. That is something that I have noticed as well. My daughter and I were talking about this the other day. We were looking at some of the lyrics and I could see she was remembering hearing the songs as she read them and at first she looked kind of confused, then she laughed and said, "You know, only Bono could get away with singing stuff like that." I know that I find a big difference to the way I percieve the song going from reading the lyrics, to listening to the song, the on to seeing him perform them. Sometimes what people complain about being the cheesiest of lyrics will turn out to be the best part of the song once you've heard it or seen it.

Dana

Yikes! You're quickly becoming my best friend with all these awesome recommendations - and here I was promising myself I'd stick to rent, bills & essentials with my money! This definitely sounds like it's right up my alley, and it's so true that songs have completely changed for me after having seen them live, even after just growing up and getting a better understanding of the world. Even though I'm much more of a writery-type, it's so true that lyrics lack a real depth of meaning when they stand alone without a melody, there's something of a lifeblood in the music.

Sorry! I'm getting carried away a bit! Thanks for the recommendations Dana - I really, really appreciate them. :)

- Fiona

I agree with some of the criticism of the book. (And it's almost difficult to admit that because I love Relevant AND I became a committed Christian because of Bono's faith.

If you want to get a good glimpse of Bono's faith (and the rest of the band), I suggest reading "U2 at the End of the World," especially the last chapter, and "Bono in Conversation," which Bono gives a ton of legendary quotes as far as I'm concerened regarding his faith. His Christian view and understanding of the Bible and what Jesus was REALLY about are just astounding.

I am finally getting around to reading this book. I am about halfway through and it's OK. Like many have said there is something about it that doesn't really grab me. I am very interested in the way the band lives out their faith, it is facinating to me, but maybe the lack of interviews and even lack of extensive quotes in this book make me see that most of it is coming from Stockman's own head. I appreciate his ability to layout the religious struggle in Ireland. The lack of a Christian subculture in Ireland at the time is something that I have never thought of before and makes sense as why they were able to make as a band of Christians.

I also just finished Neil McCormick's book, Killing Bono. While most of the book is about Neil and the craziness of the music industry. The faith of the band especially Bono is portrayed through thier constant conversations about God. The way Neil writes about Bono's faith is very real, especially coming from somone like Neil who does not even believe in God. Yet he can see Bono's faith for what it is, something that is deeply rooted in who he is.

Being able to clearly see the band's faith through the eyes of a non-believing close freind, to me is much more powerful than through the eyes of a minister who does not even know them. Just my two cents!

In the introduction Stockman clearly states "This book is not a new expose of U2 or a comprehensive biography of the members' lives. It is a spiritual companion to their career. It is an attempt at telling the story of the band member's journeys of faith and exposing the underlying spiritual themes in U2's music."

Many Christians presume to make judgements on U2's faith without talking to the band directly. Stockman's book was an answer to those who were claiming that the band weren't Christian because of things like writing a song called "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" or because they use the F-word or because they drink. Stockman's book was mainly intended to point out how ridiculous that kind of thinking is when you look at the evidence already available in the band's work and interview's already available. He has stated that he did not try to interview them because as a general rule of thumb they don't talk about it with journalists. Although Bono has opened up more in the last few years, the others still consider their faith very private. I think he was correct in that assessment considering that other's who have written about the band's faith have not been able to secure interviews either, for example Christian Scharen who wrote "One Step Closer". It may be on his website he states that since the book came out he has met them and had a wonderful enlightening visit but one that is not for public consumption. So at that point if they were willing to be interviewed intensively about their faith I'm sure it would have happened. Bono and Edge have both said repeatedly that anything you want to know about our faith is in our songs and it is a mystery to me how any Christian could look through their song catalogue and not see how it is literally dripping with spirituality. Bono practically lives biblical imagery.

Anyway the point is that Stockman defending their faith without knowing them is just a counterpoint to those trashing their faith without knowing them.

To me Neil McCormick's book and the Conversations book counter the claims that Bono doesn't evangelise. Both are beautiful examples of how to evangelise without beating people over the head with your faith and from the reactions of both McCormick and Assayas you can see how much more effective this is than attacking people.

Dana

rihannsu said:

I finally got my hands on this one, and couldn't put it down! I bought it on Friday and have had my nose stuck in it since then. It's defnitely the sort of intelligent and insightful analysis I was looking for, and in examining all those different voices he does in a way expose their more personal sides - Bono at least.

Thanks once again for the recommendation!

andberlin said:

I finally got my hands on this one, and couldn't put it down! I bought it on Friday and have had my nose stuck in it since then. It's defnitely the sort of intelligent and insightful analysis I was looking for, and in examining all those different voices he does in a way expose their more personal sides - Bono at least.

Thanks once again for the recommendation!

You're welcome. I'm glad you are enjoying it. Check out the Religious Nuts one too when you get a chance. If you can't buy it try requesting it from your library.

Dana

Back
Top Bottom