Help Me Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a book - I think it was published by Guitar World magazine - that is basically a list of great guitarists. The listing that mentions The Edge - it has a fantastic write up about his playing style. It is 2-3 paragraphs long, I think. Can anyone here post it - or tell me if it's online somewhere?

Thanks!

zebox.com/walkingwounded

Here it is:

"Few players have done more than U2's The Edge to define the post-modern guitar style. The Edge showed how texture & rhythms, rather than riffs of chord progressions, could provide the main guitar interest in the song. A master of contrast, he often juxtaposed scratchy rhythms that resonate with Celtic grandeur. He created a universe of soaring, echoing reverb timbres. Within U2, The Edge is the principal colorist."

Being a guitarist for more than 2 decades, and a big fan of feeling over flash, I am often frustrated when I hear music lovers or so called "serious" guitarists put down The Edge. I have a hard time trying to relate what I like about him. The quote above nails it.

What's funny is that the "real" guitarists who put down Edge can never emulate what he does. They might easily figure out Edge's guitar work, but never even get close to fooling me if I close my eyes & listen to them.

Well, I've enjoyed this conversation with myself. At least there wasn't an argument.

zebox.com/walkingwounded

Back
Top Bottom