Has anyone read Ulysses??? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Every Artist Is A Cannibal, Every Poet Is A Thief
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2002, 03:21 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 06:40 PM
Has anyone read Ulysses???

I read it in english wich isnīt even my first language so it was kinda tricky but I liked it and I can also recommend Salman Rushdie,I have read most of his works....

------------------
"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Proud member of the U2 gender"

Lemonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 04:24 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:40 AM
Yes.

BTW, what is your first language?

theSoulfulMofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 01:41 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by theSoulfulMofo:
Yes.

BTW, what is your first language?
Swedish!

------------------
"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Proud member of the U2 gender"
Lemonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 02:34 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:40 AM
Im so terrible, I still havent finsihed it.
ive been reading it for so long now. I put it down for months and then come back to it in between other books.
Im a shocker!
zooropamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 12:14 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:40 AM
Ulysses is a nightmare to read, but I don't mean it in a bad way.

foray

------------------
so bounce, basketball, bounce
foray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 04:29 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I beg your pardon...

"History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."
Old 02-22-2002, 07:17 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:40 AM
I tried to read it. I was over at my boss's recently and it was sitting on the coffee table all beat up, with every other passage underlined with notes in the margins, post-its marking pages, it was a mess. My boss is in his 60's and actually sits around studying Ulysses. It was both impressive and frightening.
joyfulgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 06:31 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

update: ok, it's brilliant. Working my way through it. Gets kind of addictive, actually.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:09 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Good job...!

Keep it up...

It's always good to become a persevering English literati.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:48 PM   #10
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:40 PM

Yes, I've read it and i really do love it...it did take a LOT to get through it though... The structure of it is amazing...Joyce was such a genius. Just following what on earth he was trying to do though was difficult... Once I got past the initial utter confusion,
jkayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 10:20 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:40 PM
If you think Ulysses is confusing just wait until you try reading Finnegans Wake. They're both beautiful books though. Has anyone read Dubliners? Or A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man? (Yes, I admit I'm obsessed with James Joyce's writing.)
FizzingWhizzbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 10:21 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:40 PM
I wrote my thesis on Ulysses, if that helps.
I can email it to you. Its only 231 pages long.

U2SavesTheWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 08:35 PM   #13
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 01:40 PM
!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by U2SavesTheWorld
I wrote my thesis on Ulysses, if that helps.
I can email it to you. Its only 231 pages long.

Holy shite! I'll be writing mine next semester...
~LadyLemon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 10:37 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
If you think Ulysses is confusing just wait until you try reading Finnegans Wake. They're both beautiful books though. Has anyone read Dubliners? Or A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man? (Yes, I admit I'm obsessed with James Joyce's writing.)

fizzing whizzbees...i KNOW what that's from...i've been listening to the same two miles davis recordings all night in order to study for my history of jazz exam and the only thing my brains are coming up with is harry potter...

anyway, you guys are my heros! joyce? i made an attempt to read ulyssess and didn't manage to get through it...
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 05:12 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored

fizzing whizzbees...i KNOW what that's from...i've been listening to the same two miles davis recordings all night in order to study for my history of jazz exam and the only thing my brains are coming up with is harry potter...

anyway, you guys are my heros! joyce? i made an attempt to read ulyssess and didn't manage to get through it...
Now that your history of jazz exam is over, may I recommend some incredible leisure time jazz reading..."But Beautiful" by Geoff Dyer. Absolutely incredible. He looks at photographs of various jazz artists and imagines stories around the pictures, blending fact with fiction. It's stunning!

As for Joyce, I did read "Portrait of the Artist as a Man" many years ago back in college but I hardly remember it. In preparation for an event here next month with the colorful Irish Senator David Norris, who is also one of Ireland's leading Joyce scholars, I am going to re-read it. It's on my nightstand already and I'll begin it as soon as I finish "The Hours," which I should do tonight. Norris is presenting an evening here on The Life and Work of James Joyce. He is reportedly wildly entertaining, as well as a member of the Upper House of Irish Parliament. Quite the character, they say. Really looking forward to it.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:36 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Once in college, I took a James Joyce seminar... Had to write a 25 page paper... so I chose to write about Joyce and his racial politics... (yeah, I know... big general fuzzy)...

So I had a heavy load of courses that semester (Januarish)... so I kept asking my professor to extend my deadline... until it was well into the summer... and by the time summer started... I found out I already got an "A" before I turned in my paper.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:29 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by theSoulfulMofo
Once in college, I took a James Joyce seminar... Had to write a 25 page paper... so I chose to write about Joyce and his racial politics... (yeah, I know... big general fuzzy)...

So I had a heavy load of courses that semester (Januarish)... so I kept asking my professor to extend my deadline... until it was well into the summer... and by the time summer started... I found out I already got an "A" before I turned in my paper.
I guess he gave you an A just for contemplating tackling Joyce! Or either he was just plain out of it. I loved my out-of-it teachers for this reason.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:23 PM   #18
Acrobat

The only Joyce I've read is a short story called The Boarding House. I really must get to some otherstuff someday. Speaking of confusing has anybody here read Dostyoevsky's, The Brothers Karamazov?
Blacksword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 01:11 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

Now that your history of jazz exam is over, may I recommend some incredible leisure time jazz reading..."But Beautiful" by Geoff Dyer. Absolutely incredible. He looks at photographs of various jazz artists and imagines stories around the pictures, blending fact with fiction. It's stunning!
i'll try to check that out, thanks for the reccommend...

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

As for Joyce, I did read "Portrait of the Artist as a Man" many years ago back in college but I hardly remember it. In preparation for an event here next month with the colorful Irish Senator David Norris, who is also one of Ireland's leading Joyce scholars, I am going to re-read it. It's on my nightstand already and I'll begin it as soon as I finish "The Hours," which I should do tonight. Norris is presenting an evening here on The Life and Work of James Joyce. He is reportedly wildly entertaining, as well as a member of the Upper House of Irish Parliament. Quite the character, they say. Really looking forward to it.

i read "the dead"...and then rented john huston's film version...definetly good a read and movie.

hey! i think i read "the boarding house"...i did...yeah, it was in this huge book of short stories i found at my house, i don't remember it cos i read a more enjoyable one called "the sniper" and forgot the author's name, although the ending was a bit predicatble...liam something...
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 03:36 PM   #20
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored

hey! i think i read "the boarding house"...i did...yeah, it was in this huge book of short stories i found at my house, i don't remember it cos i read a more enjoyable one called "the sniper" and forgot the author's name, although the ending was a bit predicatble...liam something...
I've also read that sniper story. I think it was back either in grade 6 or 8 (I had the same home room teacher for both grades). Though you knew then end it was a well laid out story.

Blacksword is offline   Reply With Quote