Has anyone read Ulysses???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonboy

Refugee
I read it in english wich isn?t even my first language so it was kinda tricky but I liked it and I can also recommend Salman Rushdie,I have read most of his works....

------------------
"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Proud member of the U2 gender"

Originally posted by theSoulfulMofo:
Yes.

BTW, what is your first language?

Swedish!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Proud member of the U2 gender"

Im so terrible, I still havent finsihed it.
ive been reading it for so long now. I put it down for months and then come back to it in between other books.
Im a shocker!

I beg your pardon...

"History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."

I tried to read it. I was over at my boss's recently and it was sitting on the coffee table all beat up, with every other passage underlined with notes in the margins, post-its marking pages, it was a mess. My boss is in his 60's and actually sits around studying Ulysses. It was both impressive and frightening.

update: ok, it's brilliant. Working my way through it. Gets kind of addictive, actually.

Good job...!

Keep it up...

It's always good to become a persevering English literati.

Yes, I've read it and i really do love it...it did take a LOT to get through it though... :huh: The structure of it is amazing...Joyce was such a genius. Just following what on earth he was trying to do though was difficult... Once I got past the initial utter confusion, :up:

If you think Ulysses is confusing just wait until you try reading Finnegans Wake. They're both beautiful books though. Has anyone read Dubliners? Or A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man? (Yes, I admit I'm obsessed with James Joyce's writing.)

!!!

U2SavesTheWorld said:
I wrote my thesis on Ulysses, if that helps.
I can email it to you. Its only 231 pages long.

:censored:

Holy shite! I'll be writing mine next semester...

FizzingWhizzbees said:
If you think Ulysses is confusing just wait until you try reading Finnegans Wake. They're both beautiful books though. Has anyone read Dubliners? Or A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man? (Yes, I admit I'm obsessed with James Joyce's writing.)

fizzing whizzbees...i KNOW what that's from...i've been listening to the same two miles davis recordings all night in order to study for my history of jazz exam and the only thing my brains are coming up with is harry potter...

anyway, you guys are my heros! joyce? i made an attempt to read ulyssess and didn't manage to get through it...

IWasBored said:

fizzing whizzbees...i KNOW what that's from...i've been listening to the same two miles davis recordings all night in order to study for my history of jazz exam and the only thing my brains are coming up with is harry potter...

anyway, you guys are my heros! joyce? i made an attempt to read ulyssess and didn't manage to get through it...

Now that your history of jazz exam is over, may I recommend some incredible leisure time jazz reading..."But Beautiful" by Geoff Dyer. Absolutely incredible. He looks at photographs of various jazz artists and imagines stories around the pictures, blending fact with fiction. It's stunning!

As for Joyce, I did read "Portrait of the Artist as a Man" many years ago back in college but I hardly remember it. In preparation for an event here next month with the colorful Irish Senator David Norris, who is also one of Ireland's leading Joyce scholars, I am going to re-read it. It's on my nightstand already and I'll begin it as soon as I finish "The Hours," which I should do tonight. Norris is presenting an evening here on The Life and Work of James Joyce. He is reportedly wildly entertaining, as well as a member of the Upper House of Irish Parliament. Quite the character, they say. Really looking forward to it.

Once in college, I took a James Joyce seminar... Had to write a 25 page paper... so I chose to write about Joyce and his racial politics... (yeah, I know... big general fuzzy)...

So I had a heavy load of courses that semester (Januarish)... so I kept asking my professor to extend my deadline... until it was well into the summer... and by the time summer started... I found out I already got an "A" before I turned in my paper. :silent:

theSoulfulMofo said:
Once in college, I took a James Joyce seminar... Had to write a 25 page paper... so I chose to write about Joyce and his racial politics... (yeah, I know... big general fuzzy)...

So I had a heavy load of courses that semester (Januarish)... so I kept asking my professor to extend my deadline... until it was well into the summer... and by the time summer started... I found out I already got an "A" before I turned in my paper. :silent:

I guess he gave you an A just for contemplating tackling Joyce! Or either he was just plain out of it. I loved my out-of-it teachers for this reason.

The only Joyce I've read is a short story called The Boarding House. I really must get to some otherstuff someday. Speaking of confusing has anybody here read Dostyoevsky's, The Brothers Karamazov?

joyfulgirl said:

Now that your history of jazz exam is over, may I recommend some incredible leisure time jazz reading..."But Beautiful" by Geoff Dyer. Absolutely incredible. He looks at photographs of various jazz artists and imagines stories around the pictures, blending fact with fiction. It's stunning!

i'll try to check that out, thanks for the reccommend...

joyfulgirl said:

As for Joyce, I did read "Portrait of the Artist as a Man" many years ago back in college but I hardly remember it. In preparation for an event here next month with the colorful Irish Senator David Norris, who is also one of Ireland's leading Joyce scholars, I am going to re-read it. It's on my nightstand already and I'll begin it as soon as I finish "The Hours," which I should do tonight. Norris is presenting an evening here on The Life and Work of James Joyce. He is reportedly wildly entertaining, as well as a member of the Upper House of Irish Parliament. Quite the character, they say. Really looking forward to it.

i read "the dead"...and then rented john huston's film version...definetly good a read and movie.

hey! i think i read "the boarding house"...i did...yeah, it was in this huge book of short stories i found at my house, i don't remember it cos i read a more enjoyable one called "the sniper" and forgot the author's name, although the ending was a bit predicatble...liam something...

IWasBored said:

hey! i think i read "the boarding house"...i did...yeah, it was in this huge book of short stories i found at my house, i don't remember it cos i read a more enjoyable one called "the sniper" and forgot the author's name, although the ending was a bit predicatble...liam something...

I've also read that sniper story. I think it was back either in grade 6 or 8 (I had the same home room teacher for both grades). Though you knew then end it was a well laid out story.

Blacksword said:

I've also read that sniper story. I think it was back either in grade 6 or 8 (I had the same home room teacher for both grades). Though you knew then end it was a well laid out story.

yeah it was well laid out. Liam O'Flaherty. that's who wrote it.

yay Joyce!

I'm currently in the middle of an entire semester of Joyce :D

I find his work fascinating :yes:

This is the second time I've read Dubliners all the way through, it's an incredible book... next up it's Portrait and then Ulysses for about 3/4 of the semester... good times :)

Oh yeah, and when I graduate I'm headed to Ireland for postgraduate work in Anglo-Irish literature :yes:

So if anyone EVER wants to talk Irish lit, you know where to find me :)

I borroed a book which contains "Dubliners" and "Portriat of the Artist as a Young Man". Have yet to read it. I heard the librarian mutter "pretentious bastard" as she checked out my books.

I borrowed Dubliners from my local library. Don't know if I can make it through though...I always seem to borrow more books than I have time to read. I flipped through Finnegan's Wake once and wondered what the heck he was writing until I figured it was probably some stream-of-consciousness phonetic Gaelic or something.

I haven't read Finnegans Wake yet, but I have done research on it...

Finnegans Wake is NOT Gaelic, phonetic maybe.

From what I understand, Joyce was trying to infuse similar looking/sounding words into one, then you would have a multi-colored words with many possible meanings.

Finnegans Wake should be read phonetically outloud though... kinda like how one would read Chaucer in the original Middle English-- just sound it out... and then it should read perfectly.

Anyways... I'm getting ahead of myself :wink:

i made an attempt to read ulyssess and didn't manage to get through it... [/B]

I know this post is absolutely ages old...but for anyone who's read Ulysses and then abandoned it in frustration (I know I did about fifteen times!), try reading either Dubliners (which is short stories) or A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. They're both less...bewildering...than Ulysses, but are absolutely amazing books. :happy:

Back
Top Bottom