Fictionalized U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wertsie

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Does anybody know of any works of fiction that talk about U2 (as U2 or by another name). Of course, there's TGBHF...But others? I'm just curious because I'm a writer and I'm currently working on a novel with a fictionalized U2, since they're such a big part of who I am.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Well, it's not about U2 directly, but they're in there. It's basically about this girl who's kind of fed up with everything. Nothing's really going the way she wants it, but then she meets this up-and-coming rock band and gets to know the members, particularly the drummer. It's mostly going to be about the two of them, but U2 (or my fictionalized version, Feedback...haha) is her favorite band and I'm going to add U2ish references where appropriate.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Originally posted by wertsie:
particularly the drummer.

is his name barry?
wink.gif

------------------
Rebel with a cause....and a red car.

1.) Jeremy is an evil name.

2.) Have you ever read any U2 fan fiction? You might want to look into that. Try the U2 fanfic at fanfiction.net.

There are a lot of fan fiction sites that are around and sites that have fan fic pages! I would seriously try those and also u might want to look at PLEBA!:tongue:

Jeremy isn't an evil name! I like it!

I haven't read any fan fiction yet...What I'm writing isn't really fan fiction though...

Yeah, true...It WOULD be interesting to read how other U2 fans that are writers treat the subject...Okay, I'm sold...I'm off to read some stuff!

Just for the heck of it, I looked up the meanings behind the names of my two main characters:

Jeremy: Hebrew. Appointed by God. Hmmm....
Renee: Latin. Reborn (which really sort of fits my idea, btw! Cool!).

Fanfiction

You might be pleasantly surprised - a lot of fanfiction stuff deals with the U2 beloveds, but not actually their lives. Maybe look at some alternate reality stuff, which is normally very good.

Or for the idea of the band interacting with other people, good quality stuff is written by SunRazor, Likeamadonna,water hyacinth, leelah, Caz, Altagracia and Kelski.

Not that the other's aren't good, because they are :yes:, but these dudettes have a lot of history of quality. And I'm RogueWriter, so if you read any of my stories, I demand reviews! :wink: Yes, yes I do.

Reviews are like U2 :drool: - twice as addictive as heroin :evil:

Rogue x

not to pressure you, wertsie, but i wrote some stuff for fanfiction that included u2...but didnt mention them by name. I also wrote a story about what they would be like NOT in the band. people definitely liked that one best.

here is the link to all my stories there:

http://www.fanfiction.net/profile.php?userid=138022

The one that mentions U2 is called "peace" and the one where they are not a band is called "the prime of their lives."

have fun!

I thought about starting a new thread for this, but then I thought, "no, I'll just continue with this one."

Okay...Still working on my book. Almost done with the first draft (yay!). But I have decided that I don't want to call the band Feedback. I would feel too disconnected...So it's going to be U2...So it's a book about a beginning band named Desert Sky whose favorite band is U2. But now I have a couple issues...

You know how with some novels, the author might select a quote from another famous author or a musician to put before chapter one? What if I wanted to quote U2 lyrics that way, or quote them throughout the novel, for that matter?

Also...Now I have another problem. The drummer for Desert Sky is named Jeremy Mullen...But now it seems pretty obvious that I have to change his last name. Any suggestions?

wertsie said:
I thought about starting a new thread for this, but then I thought, "no, I'll just continue with this one."

Okay...Still working on my book. Almost done with the first draft (yay!). But I have decided that I don't want to call the band Feedback. I would feel too disconnected...So it's going to be U2...So it's a book about a beginning band named Desert Sky whose favorite band is U2. But now I have a couple issues...

You know how with some novels, the author might select a quote from another famous author or a musician to put before chapter one? What if I wanted to quote U2 lyrics that way, or quote them throughout the novel, for that matter?

Also...Now I have another problem. The drummer for Desert Sky is named Jeremy Mullen...But now it seems pretty obvious that I have to change his last name. Any suggestions?

Well, do you want to have a slightly U2-related last name, or are you just looking for general last name suggestions? If you are looking just for general suggestions, I recommend checking out this site:

http://www.kaeori.net

They specialize in unique and unusual names, but they do have several pages where they list slightly "normal" names, but with twists. And they have a general name index.

If you are looking for a U2-related name.. :scratch: that site may be useful for that, too. You could see if there is any variations on their names.

i really like the idea of using lyrics to start chapters.

the shipping news does an interesting thing and starts each chapter with quotes from a book about knots....very cool.

so what's the time period of your book?

It takes place over a summer. I don't ever specify a year, but I'm thinking that it's this summer, the summer of 2002.

Does anybody know what types of copyright things I would have to do to use lyrics? :question:

There a book that came out a few years ago called "A Sort of Homecoming" (yup, you've guessed it--TUF...) by Robert Cremins. There were a few quotes from Zooropa and The Unforgettable Fire albums.

I haven't read it, but I understand it's kinda a ultra-cool hip version of Joyce's Ulysses meets Easton's Less Than Zero... all based in Dublin, Ireland.

theSoulfulMofo said:
There a book that came out a few years ago called "A Sort of Homecoming" (yup, you've guessed it--TUF...) by Robert Cremins. There were a few quotes from Zooropa and The Unforgettable Fire albums.

I haven't read it, but I understand it's kinda a ultra-cool hip version of Joyce's Ulysses meets Easton's Less Than Zero... all based in Dublin, Ireland.

Cool! I will have to check that out! I'm always interested to read stuff by U2 fans in the literary world.

I was thinking it would be cool to name each chapter with a line from one of their songs or something...It would be a line that fits the mood of that chapter, most likely. Ah...First it would be a good idea for me to finish the first draft! :happy:

2.5 chapters to go.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom