Dunphy book

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PopDaisy

Acrobat
I don't pop into this corner of the forums often, but since I'm realizing that the VMAs are a total waste of my time tonight, I'm going to ask a long-intended question.

I own a copy of Dunphy's Unforgettable Fire. Aside from the fact that it's not great literature, I also know that the band and McGuinness promptly distanced themselves from it upon release. Among fans it's not regarded as a highly accurate source either.

Perhaps this question has been asked before; I did look back 8 pages of posts in this section and nada.

But I would really like to know exactly WHAT is incorrect or misleading in this book.

Is it totally erroneous information? Enhancement of the parents' stories? Wrong performance dates?

If it has been addressed previously, a link to the thread would be welcome. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

PopDaisy

Pop Daisy, you should also read through this recent thread here, as the book is alluded to in several posts:

http://forum.interference.com/t136995.html

Incidentally I don't remember the book saying that McCormick was ever a member, but I think the US edition was different to the Euro one.

Re: Re: Dunphy book

Popmartijn said:
Here's a link to the original review in Hot Press (done by Neil McCormick) which should answer some of your questions.
http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=4001

:)

Wow. I never read that review before, I see now what people are talking about with regard to the inaccuracies (in the book).

Still and all, it remains the only published book (that I am aware of) that deals extensively with the early years of the band members.

Hmmmm, interesting little anecdote about Adam in the review, he was lucky to get away with that one so lightly if it really happened as described. :|

Thanks so much for the link to the McCormick article and to the corresponding thread.

U2 fans are the best.

:cool:

PopDaisy

Back
Top Bottom