Book Club: what do you want to read?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FizzingWhizzbees

ONE love, blood, life
Hi everyone,

It seems like there are enough people who might want to join a book club, so I was wondering what books people might like to read? Post your suggestions here and then we can see what books are most popular and choose what to read first.

Any ideas are welcome...books about U2, books about Ireland, authors you know the band like...whatever you can think of. :happy:

*Fizz

Well, here are a list of books I've written down that are somehow related to U2... but if you want Irish authors too... I have a list a mile long lol (Irish lit is my major in school :))

The Ground Beneath Her Feet - Salman Rushdie
The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hill
The Last Night of the Earth Poems - Charles Bukowski
The Executioner's Song - Norman Mailer
The Book of Judas - Brendan Kennelly
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
Salome - Oscar Wilde
The Bible
The Message - Eugene Peterson
The poetry of W.B. Yeats
James Joyce
Raymond Carver
The Lord of the Flies - William Golding
The Book of Evidence - John Banville
Gunter Grass - The Call of the Toad
In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
The Screwtape Letters - CS Lewis
Patrick Kavanaugh
Flannery O'Connor
Seamus Heaney
Fyodor Dostoyevsky
William S. Burroughs

hippy said:

charles bukowski. hank. yes. but i think it would have to be one of his novels, not a book of his poems. and somehow, i don't think it's gonna work, although it would be my first choice on your list.

i haven't read executioner's song yet. that's a good choice. exit was inspired by this one. wanna take charge with me, hippy, and make this our first book?

bonosgirl84 said:

charles bukowski. hank. yes. but i think it would have to be one of his novels, not a book of his poems. and somehow, i don't think it's gonna work, although it would be my first choice on your list.

i haven't read executioner's song yet. that's a good choice. exit was inspired by this one. wanna take charge with me, hippy, and make this our first book?

I'm up for it.... though it's a rough one to start with lol And it's hella long... maybe we should wait for other people's suggestions?

But I'm up for it! :hyper:

This is a great idea! :)

:lol: you said "hella" how cute you are...ok. let's think of another one if you think that choice is too tough. i'll take a look around this library that i'm stuck in right now and see what i can find.

:wave:

I'm up for the Executioner's Song...I've started it twice so maybe this will be incentive for me to finish :yes:

hippy said:

The Ground Beneath Her Feet - Salman Rushdie
The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hill
The Executioner's Song - Norman Mailer
The Book of Judas - Brendan Kennelly
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
Salome - Oscar Wilde
The Bible
The Message - Eugene Peterson
The poetry of W.B. Yeats
James Joyce
Raymond Carver
The Lord of the Flies - William Golding
The Book of Evidence - John Banville
Gunter Grass - The Call of the Toad
In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
The Screwtape Letters - CS Lewis
Patrick Kavanaugh
Flannery O'Connor
Seamus Heaney
Fyodor Dostoyevsky
William S. Burroughs

i'm up for joyce, yeats, or dostoevsky. if you guys are going to read mailer, count me out until the next book.

somehow i really don't think the bible would be the best choice...

Wow, you have loads of ideas, hippy. :happy: And you're studying Irish literature? That must be really interesting. :)

Personally I'd love to read something by Joyce (I think either Dubliners or A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man would be best, since Ulysses and Finnegans Wake are probably too long/complicated to be a great first choice) or Dostoevsky (I've been meaning to read The Brothers Karamazov for ages now). Although I'll read pretty much anything that's put in front of me, so I'm happy with whatever we choose. :happy:

Should we maybe leave this thread a few more days to get everyone's suggestions and then see what suggestions are most popular?

dubliners :up:

:shifty: i had waaay too much fun in 10th grade analyzing Lord of the Flies :shifty:

Well, if most people think Dubliners would be a good choice then I'd suggest we go ahead and read that first and then have The Screwtape Letters as the second book, unless there are other suggestions later.

Would people prefer to have some time to read the book before we start discussing it (and if so how much time do you want? The book club I was in used to give one month to read the book - is that too long/not long enough for everyone?), or would you prefer to have discussions as we're reading?

*Fizz

hippy said:

But maybe if people have questions or things to think about, they could post them?

i don't see why not. it's not as if we're reading stuff where the whole story will be ruined if so and so reads that so and so has a question about ch. 12 when tehy're still on 7...

side note: i never realised that organizing a book group was so complicated. i guess organizing anything is.
<--learned something new
(that wasn't supposed to be sarcastic in any way shape or form)

Last edited:
hey all, i am interested in joining in with the bookclub reading, but i was wondering what you true readers thought of the review of Screwtape letters that went up in "Content." It was my first review, so there is lots of room for criticism and comment! i'd not only like to hear what you thought about the book but what you think people here on interference would like to hear about the book. i sorta see the puporse of my reviews as giving non-readers a gist of the book and the connection to u2. would you say i have gotten anywhere close to that? a lot of the books posted by hippy were on my list to review...any in particular you'd like to see reviewed?

the most recent review i've turned in (hasn't been posted yet) was on "The HEart is Deceitful Above All Things" - a sad, tough book. i'm very curious to hear people's reactions to that one.

Back
Top Bottom