Bono In Conversation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think its a matter of personality clash...to me...people like you look too far back. I happen to be on a similiar page to Bono regarding navel gazing...I often see it as representative of self interest...I'm more interested in progression. I still think religious world view plays a role in this. My friend who is a counselor and I often have it out regarding counseling..I feel that its often selfish...that the advice given by counselors is sometimes good for the person...but not the best choice for the people in the person's world. Navel gazing is fine...to recognize your faults and seek forgiveness..repentance...but after that...I often feel it goes to far....

I dont disagree. Navel gazing can go too far, it can be a trap to fall into. But a little bit can be beneficial.

As for progression, how can one progress if that person is bogged? Sometimes a stop and reassess before continuing on may be required.

I agree about the chemical imbalance/drug correction and counselling issue.

I also believe society plays a role. I used to work for Oxfam and find that the average African (bland generalisation) are happier than the average Australian. The average village society appears more comforting, and more aware of a member stumbing, than the average suburban isolation bunker. (Not that I have travelled to Africa, just my noting from Africans here and observance)

Bono does not appear to comprehend my understanding of depression. (lol) There are people like he describes, people who enjoy wallowing in their own misery, and become "pickled" in themselves but I disagree that that is the case for the majority of depressed people.

Same with suicidial people. Yes, ultimately it is a selfish act but crap if you have been down there, really down, down, down there sometimes it can seem like the only way out is death . Bono is correct in the just hang on for a few more hours and it will pass scenario. I dont disagree with that. I also believe thats a shit load easier said than done. And the ones that don't make it back up aren't selfish, they just didn't make it back up. Some people don't. It's not a failure, nor is coming through it a reason to congratulate oneself either.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reasoned response beli. I pretty much agree with what you posted here. I have to admit that my personal experience( regarding my father's depression) with counseling has soured me on it. It seemed to have a biased world view that I just couldn't agree with. My father was in counselng and undergoing medicinal treatment but all it seemed to do was make him dwell on his depressed state.....

There are good and bad counsellors, just as there are good and bad members in every profession. I have experienced some inappropriate counsellors myself.

Sorry to hear your Dad had a dud counsellor. One of the most difficult things is to realise help is needed, reach out and ask for it, and then realise the person aiding is actually hindering. Sometimes life sucks, and then it sucks some more.

beli said:
There are good and bad counsellors, just as there are good and bad members in every profession. I have experienced some inappropriate counsellors myself.

Sorry to hear your Dad had a dud counsellor. One of the most difficult things is to realise help is needed, reach out and ask for it, and then realise the person aiding is actually hindering. Sometimes life sucks, and then it sucks some more.

Agreed...I've seen both sides in this area as well with people that have had counseling...If you get a good person and they mesh well with the person looking for guidance, it can be very helpful. The wrong combination can be really bad though.

I don't know, I'm certainly no clinical expert about depression. Like others have said here, it's not all chemical imbalance.
I think maybe Bono still doesn't want to have to face certain things about his family and childhood, I don't think that's uncommon and I understand it. Also losing his Mom like that when he was so young must be a profound thing to have to make peace with. I haven't finished the book yet so I'm not sure about all of it, he does confuse me many times :wink:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Yesterday I read the part where he talks about Adam whipping out his.. willie at every opportunity when they were young, and how he peed near Ali's leg

:giggle:

Haven't got there yet and I'll be so excited when I do :lol: What a fabulous book.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I don't know, I'm certainly no clinical expert about depression. Like others have said here, it's not all chemical imbalance.
I think maybe Bono still doesn't want to have to face certain things about his family and childhood, I don't think that's uncommon and I understand it. Also losing his Mom like that when he was so young must be a profound thing to have to make peace with. I haven't finished the book yet so I'm not sure about all of it, he does confuse me many times :wink:

Ive nearly finished the book. I believe Bono has no clue about depression. Perhaps hes one of these 'keep all the plates spinning so I dont have to deal with it' types. Either way he is insensitive to this issue.

beli said:

Ive nearly finished the book. I believe Bono has no clue about depression. Perhaps hes one of these 'keep all the plates spinning so I dont have to deal with it' types. Either way he is insensitive to this issue.

I find it rather strange, especially since, in the McCormick book, Bono is quoted as saying he had suicidal thoughts when he was a teenager. He's definitely a "not look back" kind of person.

He's also a person of deep faith, and a recent study at the U. of Chicago indicates that faith actually curbs depression. I think this is a factor in his attitude, perhaps because it's what worked for him in the past. I don't think he's lacking in empathy.

(Hi Beli!:wave: )

I agree, Bonos faith has a heck of a lot to do with it. Although I havent read the University study about faith vs depression I'm sure the findings would be faith helps curb depression.

But, I do think Bono lacks empathy of depression. I have reread that section to see if its just the way it was written but I dont think so. Bono has previously said some odds things about Michael Hutchences suicide.

Just my thoughts.

(and hello :wave: loll)

Originally posted by georginabono

I just got U2&I, it's amazing!!!! everytime i look through it i enjoy it more and more, you'll love it

I just got it yesterday ... My order finally came in !!
You're absolutely right !! These are fascinating photographs ...
it's truly amazing how Anton managed to photograph these pictures with such precision !! They're GREAT !! :drool:

Last edited:
Whilst waiting for Beli, I found an interesting quote from Jim Sheridan, the film director. He's known Bono since he was a teenager. Here's what he says:

"For such a public person, Bono is amazingly private. You may think you know a lot about him, but you don't really. He has that rare ability to hide in plain sight."

Even his friends find him a mystery!

I have read the book through, and I enjoyed it.

However.....

I too think he was very guarded at times.

I guess I would have liked to hear more about his personal life. Not in a tabloid sense, more in just a general kind of way. I don't know...

I mean, eg Ali is mentioned about twice throughout the whole book!

I guess I thought it was all very 'professional'.

What about you? What were you hoping for more of?

Originally posted by imogen

I guess I would have liked to hear more about his personal life.

Yeah, I guess I would have too ...
What they do for Holidays ?? Birthdays ?? ... That sorta stuff !!
Truthfully, Bono's family life has always been rather private, because his wife has worked very hard in keeping it that way ... So, I'm not really surprised that there's NOT alot about his family mentioned in this book !! Although, it would have been nice ... it just didn't happen !!

Maybe he just needs to keep his family stuff private, it sort of makes it even more special.

I know what you mean, but the rest of his life is so public so I understand his reasons

I like that quote biff, I've always felt that way about him actually. Maybe that's what makes him so fascinating, in addition of course to many other qualities.

Page 135 (in the Australian edition)

It's a very real illness, depression. I understand chemical imbalance and all that. But I do think its prevalence has a lot to do with a lack of perspective on your life and a lack of empathy of what's going on in other lives

Thats one quote. Im still looking for the other.

I disagree with the above quote. Some people may become upset about things that may well be deemed a lack of perspective. eg there was a girl in my accounting class who I bumped into crying after an exam. Her bank reconciliation didn't balance. She still received about 90% on the exam but she cried for about a month, she was seriously distraught. That is a lack of perspective. Her emotional turmoil had very little to do with chemical imbalance nor having an unfortunate life. She had had a sheltered childhood and freaked out when she entered the big bad world at Uni. Her pain was very real, and valid, but not depression by my definition.

Some depressed people when brooched about the subject of starving Africans or wotnot might well say "Take my food, take my water, they can have it". It can be a complete lack of self worth. I don't believe sucidal people are spiteful, or necessarily ignorant of the plight of many Africans.

Perspective is not relevant to depression. There will always be someone worse off than oneself. Same as there always will be someone better off than oneself. Thats not the point.

Depression is the inability to climb out of a hole. If a person stops digging, as Bono suggests, they possibly may not sink any further but they are still sitting in the mud and need to do something in order to climb out of the hole.

The person who suggested Bono uses his faith to cope with life may well be right. Bono may so easily use his faith as a crutch that he is not aware that people without such a strong faith have a more complicated path back to sanity. Actually I believe Bono is probably aware of this. There is a Bono quote something along the lines of "If I didnt have my faith, my wife, and my friends, I may have ended up like Michael Hutchence" (or something to that effect, I'm paraphrasing)

Im rambling. In a nutshell I believe Bonos strong faith gives me a lack of perspective on depression.

Did that make sense?

I also agree that the In Conversation/Bono on Bono book actually reveals little about the real Bono. (Im not refering to lack of stories about his wife and children. I wasn't interested in that aspect of his life anyway. ) A number of the stories had been told before, and Bonos answers to other questions were, as the author occasionally suggested, evasive. There wasn't a lot of substance to the book. Bono is still the man behind the glasses. Saying a lot but revealing little.

In Australia we have the expression "he's a parrot" meaning that person reflects back what he sees, repeats what others have done. Bono is very good at mimicking Jim Morrison, John Lennon, Neil Diamond, etc. As for the real Bono? I don't believe we have seen him or if we have, it was a long long time ago.

Last edited:
Thanks for this interesting discussion because you may have hit on the head what I found strange about this book. I bought it and the McCormick book 2 weeks ago and while I read that in a night (and loved it!), I got about a third way in, stopped and havent' gone back yet. I don't feel I've read anything I haven't already suspected. It's like he took that quote from Achtung baby "I'm learning to lie" to heart!

Well, maybe not outright lying but a lot of talking around the truth. Maybe he feels this is the only way he survives being a celebrity. Which then makes you wonder why he agreed to go ahead with the book. :rolleyes: Then again, it might be just me, I don't share in any of Bono's beliefs regarding faith so I can't be arsed to read 200+ pages of him going on about it!

As for his views on depression, I do remember old interviews back in the 80's where he would be more ambiguous, more willing to talk about the dark side of his life, his faith, his battles with figuring out who he was, ie the song "Unforgettable Fire" about being alone, drinking too much, being depressed. Now he's older, he has a "mission" in life to accomplish and to work towards for the rest of his life, does he now feel more secure in himself, he has no time to "navel gaze" cos he's working to solve world poverty? Who will ever know what the real answer is?

Oh well, I'd better go back and have another attempt! :wink:

Last edited:
Beli: I think the key word in that quote from Bono is "prevalence". There is an "epidemic" of depression right now, with huge sales of anti-depressants in all western countries. I think that's what he's talking about. Not all people taking anti-depressants are clinically depressed. There's something else, a malaise, that explains this prevalence.

As to why he decided to participate with this book, I think it might have to do with how he wishes to be perceived. He spends a great deal of time in the book explaining what he's doing with his campaign, and why he's doing it. I suspect (and I wouldn't blame him) that he's really sick of hearing that he's only doing this work so he can get his name in the paper, or sell his latest album. These comments are made all the time, and it must be very galling, as we know how hard he's actually working, and how (painfully) earnest he can be. It's his chance to set the record straight, and show that he's a serious, thoughtful person, not the egomaniac he's often made out to be.

biff said:
Beli: I think the key word in that quote from Bono is "prevalence". There is an "epidemic" of depression right now, with huge sales of anti-depressants in all western countries. I think that's what he's talking about. Not all people taking anti-depressants are clinically depressed. There's something else, a malaise, that explains this prevalence.

Bono was also refering to a psychiatric hospital and the inpatients lack of interest in assisting in a local disaster cleanup scheme. People in psychiatric hospitals are depressed. They wouldn't end up/be admitted if their woes were simply malaise.

I don't disagree with Bono in that some people are "pickled". Not in reference to every depressed person but to some this term may be applicable.

But still, there are depressed people, clinically depressed people, people who are aware of the plight of people worse off than themselves but are still depressed.

My opinion is still very much that Bono does not show empaathy in his understanding, or lack thereof, ofdepression.

biff said:
He spends a great deal of time in the book explaining what he's doing with his campaign, and why he's doing it.

When I was at Amnesty there was a saying that people need to hear or see about a disaster/situation 17 times before they will react on it. Even though Bono is not saying anything new, and the relief schemes/concepts he discusses have been around since at least the 1980's (ie thats when I became involved and the concepts were not new then but I have no idea how old they are) he is still working for the planet. And perhaps, just perhaps, he may be someones 17th time of hearing the same story. :up:

beli said:
I also agree that the In Conversation/Bono on Bono book actually reveals little about the real Bono. (Im not refering to lack of stories about his wife and children. I wasn't interested in that aspect of his life anyway. ) A number of the stories had been told before, and Bonos answers to other questions were, as the author occasionally suggested, evasive. There wasn't a lot of substance to the book. Bono is still the man behind the glasses. Saying a lot but revealing little.

i agree completely with what you're saying, beli. i definitely got the sense that bono uses his advocacy about africa as a shield very much like the ubiquitous sunglasses--it's a way for him to be real, direct, and personal without being personal at all.

i found myself wondering if bono isn't burying himself in other projects to avoid dealing with his own issues. maybe his lack of empathy for depression stems from his own experience? his fixation on not looking back and not "navel-gazing" makes me wonder if he's not running from himself.

i found it a bit bizarre that a man who has so much compassion for humanity in africa has so little for people who suffer from depression. maybe his point was that people who suffer most on this planet do not have the "luxury" of being depressed because they're too worried about surviving, but still, it's an odd contrast.

Perhaps he means that he sees life as very precious. And the fact that he's personally seen so many just fighting to live... it makes it difficult for him to understand why someone would want to throw it away.

I don't think he has a lack of empathy for depressed people...but that's just how I interpret it. :shrug:

Last edited:
bonoishot said:
this might be a stupid question:wink: but has this book been published in the UK yet? i can't seem to find it :coocoo:

if it hasn't i can order it off amazon

thx :wink:

Search on the authors name- Michka Assayas. The book has different names in different countries. In Australia - Bono on Bono. Who knows what its called in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom