Anyone else read "Bono in Conversation with Michka Assays?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babydoll

Blue Crack Addict
Wow is simply all I can say. I started reading it at 1 am and was up till 5 am and read it in one go. It was unputdownable. There is just so much insight into this wonderful human being.

His faith is explained clearly as he feels it to be: "My relationship with God is that I pray and I sort of get this instictive feeling, a voice telling me whats right and wrong..." etc.

The author asked about his fidelity(He's amazed that Bono has been faithful to Ali for 20-something years and asks him how, being a rockstar, when there's "just so much tempatation: (his words!) Bono replies, "Sure we have groupies, but to me that is a turn off. Granting a sexual favor to someone in exchange for proximity to a rockstar is bullying, it's not fair to the woman, its not an equal relationship."

It's a wonderful read about a truly great individual. The only part I disliked was, the author asked Bono how he envisioned his own funeral. :| And he also tells Bono, "You have more years behind you than in front of you now." That was stupid in my opinion but Bono responds by saying something to the effect of "Yeah, I can't wait to see what is out there! My life is getting better year by year. I'm thinking of being around for a long, long time to come yet!"

His charity work, his drive, he's just so polite and genuine all the time. He says "I am always me, always real. I've never pretended to be someone I'm not. I'm not a celebrity, I've never ever misused my name. I don't let anyone who works for me misuse it either. I was never interested in making money. When I did start to get some cash, I thought it was far too much than I deserved. I try to give away to the less fortunate as much as I can and tell my children this too."

Bono inspires me. He inspires me to be a better human being, in every way. I want to at least attempt to be like him, and that can't be bad because he has great morals and principles. I really admire the man. He has a heart of gold, he's just so honest, genuine and truly caring. He's so positive and generous in every way. He is so humble, he's never been misguided by his larger than life status. I love him. Not because he is hotter and sexier than hell(haha, that's still something!) but because he is to me, someone worth admiring. He is a gift sent to this sinful earth to teach us some stuff! Thank you Bono. I love you.

Sorry for the gushfest, but I just had to let my feelings out.
:heart: :kiss:

Last edited:
Sorry for the gushfest, but I just had to let my feelings out.

:hug:

I read the book last summer, in an afternoon and even if I had already heard a lot of the things there, I enjoyed it lots!

It's fascintating... You could talk with Bono about any issue for hours...
I mean, some of the questions Michka asked... I don't think you could ask them to anyone!

And it was so sweet to read here and then that Bono's kids were around!

Yes this book was indeed very good. I read it this fall, my sister bought it and sent it on to me when she finished it (books are so expensive anymore so we share) Mischka asked some very in depth questions and not only Bono's raw and honest answers or explanations but Mischka's writing and descriptions of the various settings where some of their writings and meetings took place whilst putting the book together were entertaining as well. I felt Bono had a wonderful opportunity to discuss his faith in near great detail, on very personal level, and to relate how his faith spills over into his lyrics and music. That is fascinating to me and inspiring to me as well. The man is very well read, intelligent and basically brilliant. Wish I'd been Mischka's microphone during those sessions! :wink:

I have it sitting on my dresser, but I haven't had time to read it. I read a bit of the beginning and loved it. I really need to start reading it after I finish my book for school.

It's a really good book, though I sometimes wish he'd reveal a bit more about himself in-Often in inverviews you hear the same stories, anecdotes and this is better than most of the regular print interviews it but still left me wanting a bit more insight.

I loved this book too! I got it earlier this summer, and stayed up all night to finish reading it. It was so wonderful, and I'm glad Bono allowed Michka to interview him for this.

I knew Bono was intelligent and well spoken before reading this, but the book totally confirmed that, and blew me away. He is one incredible individual!

Great read! :up: :up:

LOve the book. I found the whole thing with the bees hystericlly funny - and typical Bono. "Eh? Bee sting? Whatchu tam' 'bout, woman?"
Makes me wonder if any of his kids have given his dad that revenge he was looking for.:p

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:
It's a really good book, though I sometimes wish he'd reveal a bit more about himself in-Often in inverviews you hear the same stories, anecdotes and this is better than most of the regular print interviews it but still left me wanting a bit more insight.

I have been a social worker for over 25 years now. I believe that every human has a right to privacy. I as everyone want to know as much as possible. I respect him for not discussing things he is uncomfortable with...he does have children to consider. I found the book to be so BONO and funny yet very enlightening.:wink: :wink:

ArrogantU2Fan said:

I have been a social worker for over 25 years now. I believe that every human has a right to privacy. I as everyone want to know as much as possible. I respect him for not discussing things he is uncomfortable with...he does have children to consider. I found the book to be so BONO and funny yet very enlightening.:wink: :wink:

Oh I agree he has a right to privacy and I'm not expecting to read 'The Dirt". I would have liked to see a bit more information about the band, a few more memories of recording the past albums, past tours etc. Still I enjoyed the book.

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:

Oh I agree he has a right to privacy and I'm not expecting to read 'The Dirt". I would have liked to see a bit more information about the band, a few more memories of recording the past albums, past tours etc. Still I enjoyed the book.

yeah i am with yas there no doubt....Susan

It took me a little over a week to read it. I found the subject matter (around 70% religion and politics) a little too heavy to read for more than an hour or 2 at a time.

Michka did a good job at times, though I found he cut Bono off (or digressed) just when Bono was going in the direction I wanted him to go. I also found Michka a little pretentious at times.

Overall: insightful, definitely "Bono", but left me a little thirsty for more childhood & U2-related subject matter.

I've read parts of this at Amazon.com by searching inside the book and reading about four pages at a time (don't worry; I plan to actually buy it someday :wink: ). It was interesting when he talked about what it was like at the other band members' houses when they were kids. Also how he said that Adam and his brother had "English potty humor." :giggle:

But I think the most profound things in this book are the parts where Bono "spells out" his faith in a way that leaves no room for people to say that he is a phony or to make gusses about what he believes. :up: There had been too much of that going on before, in my opinion.

Last edited:
i got this for christmas, and it became an instant addiction. before reading it, i had some issues with bono - he was never my favorite member of the band. but then, i read this book and absolutely fell IN LOVE with him! seriously, i just sat there going 'awww that's so sweet!' or 'omg bono is so smart!' or 'wow, i did NOT know that!' etc. it was extremely insightful for me and completely changed the way i view bono.

I'm just reading it, I finished the part about B's funeral...I found it pretty funny, anyway....But I really liked Michka's approach to some questions. For example, he didn't ask directly what the other members of the band like, but he asked that headhunter question....Edge as a surgeon, Adam as a landscape gardener, and Larry as an actor and Bono as a insurance salesman... I think it perfectly expressed their character!
And also when he asked Bono to describe his experiences in El Salvador and Ethiopia as a screenplay. I enjoyed these kind of questions a lot! Well done, Michka!

I had read parts of this book at the bookstore but refrained from purchasing it because I knew I would be up all night reading it if I took it home...so I asked for it for Christmas and read it in its entirety a couple of days ago.

Some random thoughts/comments about the book:

I had to laugh to myself at one point...I was really enjoying the chapter "Add Eternity to That" when they bring it to an abrupt stop as Assayas has "No idea" if people are going to be interested.

I found that Bono was less dodgy (albeit sometimes due to Assayas's prodding, hats off to Assayas for that) than Bono can (and has the right to) be.

I didn't know about Elevation Partners and though Bono kept insisting that business affairs take him only one day a week, I had a hard time buying that. The only letdown from reading the book was that it really sunk in for me that frontman for U2 is only one of many hats Bono wears, from which I conclude that it's unlikely we'll ever see U2 "dream it all up again" - but of course I hope to be proven very wrong on that!

It really is a good and interesting read, and one in which you are guaranteed to learn new things about Mr Hewson. Bono and Mischka got along famously, which is pretty clearly noticed when reading the book. I enjoyed reading at great length and depth about Bono's spirituality and his talk and feelings about religion. It was also very awesome realizing just how many ventures the B-man is involved in outside of U2. It really is amazing how much this man does, when does he find time to sleep and for family? I highly recommend this book. :up: :up: :up:

The book was really interesting, a good read. However, Bono seems to like using 100 words when 10 will do, in parts he goes on a bit.... :blahblah: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom