Anton's book & scanning issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nerfherder

Acrobat
Please excuse the strange thread title. LOL. Anyway, I was just thinking about this the other day.

This is just a hypothetical situation, but bear with me. Let's say that someone picks up Anton's book, and actually decides to scan *every* single photo in the book (old and new) and then post the pictures on their site, on message boards, etc. Being that this is a commercially-released book, I was just curious if this would be considered the same as sharing, say, commercially-released songs off an album... I know that a good portion of the photos in the book have already been seen (obviously) but as to some of the newer, never-before-published ones... If most of the 400+ page book is scanned and shared, does that defeat the whole purpose of Anton releasing the book? Do you guys think it's the same sort of thing?

No, I'm not personally planning on doing this myself! LOL! I'm just honestly curious as to what you guys think about the issue, if it's different because it's a book, etc.

It's certainly a copyright issue for photographers. Personally, do I think that sharing images would hurt his book sales? Not really. Is it morally wrong? Depends on how bad the offense. A few images is harmless. More than that is pushing the boundaries of good taste. I think people know what's in good spirits and what crosses the line. It's a matter of using judgement.

Back
Top Bottom