A Revealing Revelation From Bono...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I just recieved 'Bono: In Conversation' as a graduation gift, and as I was reading it last night(great read btw), I came across something I found to be quite interesting: When asked what his favorite U2 song is, Bono first responds, 'we haven't written it yet', but when pressed further he says, (and I paraphrase), "maybe something like Stay(Faraway, So Close) or Please".

He cites a song from Zooropa and a song from Pop, two records that polarize U2 fans the most, as his favorites.

I shall say no more. Just don't buy into the idea that U2 are somehow ashamed of their mid-late 90s works.

hmm i think Bono likes the songs of the mid-90s just not how they turned out on the album (I love Pop, Zooropa was also my first U2 album so i kinda got into them from the weird angle:wink: )...i think he likes how they performed them live though....but in my opinion i don't think he personally was enjoying the time around Pop/Popmart, with his voice causing him problems and the bad press in the states etc

Congrats on your graduation and getting such a cool gift!

Stay and Please are great songs. I'm not surprised Bono sites them as favorites.

I always like revealing revelations. Unrevealing revelations always tend to be a bit too cyclical for me.

On the topic thought I think that the vibe about a 90's song being one of his favourites. The reason for this is probably the fact that there are a lot of songs there that are written from the peak of U2's creative process & memorable parts in there own personal lives. As well the 90's catalogue generally hasn't been overplayed to death like the 80's catalogue. I honestly think One would be Bono's favourite song had it not been played at the drop of a hat every time they perform.

I can imagine the out cry if he said Acrobat. I can hear the hypocrocy screams now.

i think he has also mentioned Kite and Running to standstill amongst his favorites....

gr@cie said:

Must really get this book. Has it been released in Aust yet? anyone know? :)

I saw 30+ copies sitting in one of the bookstores at my local shopping centre. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Although this should depend on where you are. Being in NSW it came out first obviously. Expect Victoria to me 1 or 2 days behind, as they usually are. Queensland should expect there copies sometime next month, the publishers are still adding the finishing touches to the more phonetically simplified "New Readers" edition.

South Australia will never get it, never know about it, and never care about it. Ditto for NT.

(Insert Tasmanian joke here)

As for WA they should expect it sometime in 2013... only 2 hours behind? Yea right.:wink:

Last edited:
timothius said:

I saw 30+ copies sitting in one of the bookstores at my local shopping centre. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Although this should depend on where you are. Being in NSW it came out first obviously. Expect Victoria to me 1 or 2 days behind, as they usually are. Queensland should expect there copies sometime next month, the publishers are still adding the finishing touches to the more phonetically simplified "New Readers" edition.

South Australia will never get it, never know about it, and never care about it. Ditto for NT.

(Insert Tasmanian joke here)

As for WA they should expect it sometime in 2013... only 2 hours behind? Yea right.:wink:

ha, ha. I read it a month ago. lol.

Big W had it on special a while ago. Try there first. $29.86 from memory. I think Big Dub purchased it in bulk along with their usual supply of Lady Di books :)

timothius said:

Is it worth getting if I'm a non-PLEBAtic male who doesnt worship Bono?

It's an intriguing book in its absence of enlightenment. Theres another thread around here about it. I didn't find the book particularly revealing at all. A fair bit of it I had read before elsewhere. Others have commented that Bono spoke more about his religious convictions than he normally does but I'm not religious so I didn't pay much attention to those sections.

Chapter 3 is the only section of the book where Bono discusses U2 and the other band members. Bono also discusses Africa. If you are unfamiliar with aid in Africa then that bit may be interesting (I used to work for Oxfam so I've heard most of that before, nothing new really)

It is well written, and an easy read. It's not something I would read twice though. Maybe borrow it from the library.

Back
Top Bottom