A Grand Madness: Ten Years on the Road with U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a-mole

War Child
heyhey :)
does anyone know this book?
"A Grand Madness: Ten Years on the Road with U2"

I recently found it and think about buying it.. so far I've obnly read Bill Flanagans "At the end of the world" and loved it to death.. especially all those stories that happened during the tours.
Judging from teh title I figured I might lik ethe book a lot

Can anyone recomend it, or give some advice?

:hug: thank you!

It sucks. It's mostly her ramblings about discovering the band in 1987 and then following them around like some high Deadhead. I checked it out of the library a few years ago, hoping for an inisder's take on touring with the band. Instead I ended up skimming most of the book while she reprinted endless journal entries about driving here and there listening to tapes and lying in wait for Bono. :rolleyes:

Don't spend any money on it. It was a vanity publication for a good reason.

:nod: 'kay.. thanks martha :)
case settled
I am very suspicious toards those celebrity books.. that'S why I wanted toknow.. I usually only trust the ones written by teh artists themself

Flanagan is a great exception.. uh I :heart: this man and his book :D

I HATED that book :down:

Same as Martha, I just skimmed through it. I normally read every U2 book I come across from cover to cover, usually more than once, but I couldn't get halfway through this one.

I didn't completely hate it, but it did get tedious.. just gushing over U2 concerts and meetings with Bono. I mean, you can get that for free on Interference. :p

I own a handful of U2 books, but I've really had no desire to check that one out. I haven't heard many positive reviews...as this thread confirms. I still may give it a read someday, but it's not high on my priority list of items to obtain.

well.. which one would you recommend then?

Is there another book by someone who actually really knows the band and has been with them like Bill Flanagan?

I orginally checked out this book from the library because I was excited that the author was from where I live (Tucson, AZ). I had very high expectations for the book. I thought that the woman actually went on tour with the band, which got me excited about it. But it's just her concert experiences..

The only remotely interesting thing in the book were the pictures. Other than that, a total waste of time. I actually read the entire thing though, I hate not finishing a book, even if it sucks.

My biggest annoyance was when the author would ramble on about useless things, like what the weather was like, or waiting at the airport for a flight..

Her concert reviews weren't too intriguing either..

:down: :down:

The negative reviews on amazon.com alone were enough to put me off. This book sounded good in theory, it's kind of dissapointing that its not as good in *actuality*

Back
Top Bottom