ZOOTV (The Fly) jacket!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2mikie

The Fly
Hi guys!

I`m just wondering if anyone else has the jacket Bono wore on the ZOOTV tour (The Fly jacket)

I first saw U2 live in 1993 here in OZ, and became obsessed with that jacket!
I went to a few leather stores here in Melbourne around 1994 with the idea of getting one made and showed them books and pictures of the jacket, and most of them said i would never find that shiny type of leather, apart from one store in the suburb of Toorak. It was only a small store, with not alot on display, as they mainly did custom made leather clothing.
Anyway, upon looking around the store i saw a hat (Beret) on display, in what looked to me like the same exact type of shiny leather as the jacket.
I explained and showed the owner of the store (who was French if i remember correctly) what i wanted to have made. He then told me that he got that leather somewhere in Germany and that it was called Patent leather, i immediately had these thoughts that maybe Bono got the idea for the outfit because of something he saw while they were there producing Achtung Baby...he he! So it was a good vibe...!
He said he could make the jacket for me and that he would have to order more of the leather to do it.
I gave him some pics of Bono in the jacket from all angles and also gave him a video to watch. Anyway, after a couple of weeks of going in for fittings it was finally done, and it came out beautiful! Exactly the same as all the pics and videos i have of Bono wearing it! The work he did and the detail were amazing! It wasn`t cheap though...cost me around $600 AUD (i think), because of the type of leather and the work.
I wore it a few times, but it really made me stand out as the leather was so shiny! It has been at my parents place stored away in the cupboard for the last few years. I now live with my fiance and yesterday i was thinking about the jacket, so earlier today i went and picked it up. It was zipped up in a suit bag and was still as i remember it!
When i think about it i`m not sure if i would wear it out now...he he! Maybe it would look better displayed somehow, with my other U2 stuff!

Just thought i`d share my story!!

Cheers,
Mikie.

Got any pics Mikie?

The fly jacket he wore on stage appears to be different than the one in the vid. The stage version looks more like PVC, while the fly vid looks leather and much nicer.

I still have my "Fly Suit" that I wore to the 2001 Elevation shows. Hoo boy it doesn't fit me anymore (32X32 waist..I'm a 36 now :( ) and the jacket is probably a small or medium...it's in my closet somewhere. Got it for around 100 bucks I believe. I'll dig it out.

Back
Top Bottom