what's the difference between...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I'm correct, there isn't. An earpiece recording is the same as an In Ear Monitor recording.

:wave:

Marty (who thinks U2girl's sig is addictive)

Anyone know how earpiece recordings get out into the trading world? Just curious....

Thanks Marty.

I'm curious about that too, cdparky. It's strange enough that soundboards get out, but earpiece? Those are probably even harder to get by. (do you think the band use different sets of earpiece during a tour or is it just one earpiece for each tour?)

All you need to know is the frequency that each earpiece is being broadcast at, then you can record it. (It's not quite that simple, but that's the basic idea). It is illegal which is why the taper will not want his name associated with the recording in any way.

That's also why they take so long to 'leak'. They get traded in the rare trading circles and don't get out for ages, if at all.

Yes, I believe it is actually illegal to record earpiece feeds, as opposed to audience recordings, which are not allowed by arenas, but not technically illegal. Unless a jurisdiction has a particular law against fixing live images and sounds (I don't know of any that do), you cannot get in legal trouble for taping a show from the audience. On the other hand, I am fairly certain that there are serious legal issues involved with intercepting broadcasts intended for others.

Thanks U2Lynne / Buckman. Is the same sort of thing true for ALD recordings? Again, just curious to know.

ALD recordings are actually pretty easy to do. All you do is ask the information or help desk at the arena for an ALD then go to your seat and hook up a DAT to the ALD device. I believe the device itself is just a small metal box, about 4" x 2" x 3". Sometimes they never turn on the feed, sometimes it's really bad quality, but sometimes you get great stuff (Cleveland 01).

Basically, if you are a smart taper you should take in 2 DAT decks and have one checking the ALD device and one getting a regular audiece recording in case it doesn't get turned on.

BTW, this is information that is very much out in the public, as the New York Times did a big article on ALD recordings.

Digital Audio Tape

It's like a normal compact cassette, only the information on it is stored digitally (Doh!) and in very high quality (better than CD). DAT recorders are expensive though ($700+ and not counting any extras like additional microphones, battery boxes, etc.).

:wave:

Marty

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom