U2 Singles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cnelson

The Fly
Hey guys,

Does anyone know of a good site where I can buy U2 singles like J. Swallow to present day. I remember seeing all sorts of old U2 singles from like the Boy era on CD at HMV years ago. Of course I didn't have enough money to buy them then so I couldn't.

Thanks.

If you did, they were bootlegs. The only "official" CD single that exists for anything prior to the War singles is the 11 O'Clock Tick Tock Live 12" that contains J Swallow also. Non of the other early singles have been released on CD. I wish they would though. I would love to have a clean CD copy of A Celebration taken from the master tape instead of the vinyl single.

Blue Room said:
If you did, they were bootlegs. The only "official" CD single that exists for anything prior to the War singles is the 11 O'Clock Tick Tock Live 12" that contains J Swallow also. Non of the other early singles have been released on CD. I wish they would though. I would love to have a clean CD copy of A Celebration taken from the master tape instead of the vinyl single.

Blue Room, I think you're referring to the Fire CD-single. That single (in an ugly yellow sleeve, IMO) contained the B-side J. Swallow and live versions of 11 O'Clock Tick Tock and The Ocean.
As for A Celebration, it is legally available on CD. It's on the compilation Now 1982 (released in 1999 on the verge of the new millenium). That one is available from http://www.hmv.co.uk (do a search on the title Now 1982 and you'll get there). Oddly, the web-page of HMV does not list the song (it should be #21, between Golden Brown and A Town Called Malice), but believe me, it's on it. I ordered the album from them and I have it on my copy.
As for the rest of that album, hey, it's 1982. There are some great, nostalgic tracks on it and some awful, nostalgic tracks. If you're old enough to (slightly) remember that year it's a nice compilation. And it has the only known CD-version of A Celebration.

C ya!

Marty (who also wishes the really early singles were re-released on CD)

Thanks for the correction. You are correct it is the Fire 12 inch. Funny I always think of it for the live version of 11 O'Clock Tick Tock.

Thanks for the info on A Celebration. I will check into it. Now we just need the CBS singles released on CD. We will probebly have to wait for a box set before we see that.

Hey Nelson,
I find a lot of singles at excellent prices on ebay. As long as you're not looking for something too rare (the "Angel of Harlem" 3-inch--outbid again!), you can usually get singles for less than $10. Record stores are also auctioning off the old singles that they can't find local customers for.

Popmartijn said:

As for A Celebration, it is legally available on CD. It's on the compilation Now 1982 (released in 1999 on the verge of the new millenium). That one is available from http://www.hmv.co.uk (do a search on the title Now 1982 and you'll get there). Oddly, the web-page of HMV does not list the song (it should be #21, between Golden Brown and A Town Called Malice), but believe me, it's on it. I ordered the album from them and I have it on my copy.
As for the rest of that album, hey, it's 1982. There are some great, nostalgic tracks on it and some awful, nostalgic tracks. If you're old enough to (slightly) remember that year it's a nice compilation. And it has the only known CD-version of A Celebration.

C ya!

Marty (who also wishes the really early singles were re-released on CD)

Oh God, Marty: one more reason to run away with you somewhere tropical!!

But that fucking record costs 17 pounds!!! plus whatever shipping there is!:scream: :scream: :scream: :scream:
Damn, thatsa lotta do re mi!!!

I'll have to give it some thought.

:kiss:

Hey Nelson, if you're merely looking for some certain songs or early B-sides, I have most of them. I could burn you a CD if you're interested. Let me know. I think I have all the original B-sides, and am coming close to getting all the live B-sides... I think the ones from "Boy" are all I need.

SWEET!

Hey MixingBliss,

That would be awesome. I've always been interested in hearing the early singles like J. Swallow and all those ones off of Boy, October, War, Joshua Tree etc. Do you have an email address where I can send you my address?

mixingbliss@msn.com

Here's a small sample of what I could include:

Another Day
11 o'Clock Tick Tock
Touch
Things to Make and Do
Treasure (Whatever Happened to Pete the Chop?)
J. Swallow
Endless Deep
A Celebration
Trash Trampoline and the Party Girl

etc., etc.

Oh, as well as the aforementioned live releases of "11 o'Clock Tick Tock" and "The Ocean" (from Fire 12-inch); plus live "I Threw a Brick" and "A Day Without Me" from the New Year's Day 12-inch.

Back
Top Bottom