U2 Laserdiscs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neenie

War Child
Hello Interferencers :wave:

Today, I come across a ZOOTV live from Sydney laserdisc at a second hand record shop. I was thinking whether to get it or not as I don't have a player, but I wouldn’t mind setting up a small laserdisc collection of U2 stuff not on DVD. The Zootv VHS tape looks very ordinary on a video projector, and the Zootv screens look very blurry.

Does anyone here have U2 laserdiscs? Is the quality comparable to the snippet on the Boston DVD?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
People still have lazer discs?

I'd wait till it came out on DVD...
Laserdisc / DVD is like LP / CD: analog vs. digital. Some purists believe that analog video has a better quality to it.

Like LP's, Laserdiscs are still being manufactured for people who own a player. They can be bought in the bigger stores and on the Internet.

Laser discs are not being pressed anymore, at least not in the U.S. I can't recommend any kind of an investment on your part unless you just can't live without it.
ZooTv is actually a 2 disc set. Three sides. Yes it's a disruption to have to change discs but there is a plus side. Noncompressed digital audio. So the sound is great but the picture, while better than vhs, is disappointing compared to U2's dvds.
The framing is 1.33:1 with 2 track stereo only. Given a video remastering, a surround 5.1 soundtrack and maybe 'Trying to Throw Your Arms' added back in, I would expect the DVD to be worth waiting for.

INDY500 said:
Laser discs are not being pressed anymore, at least not in the U.S. I can't recommend any kind of an investment on your part unless you just can't live without it.
ZooTv is actually a 2 disc set. Three sides. Yes it's a disruption to have to change discs but there is a plus side. Noncompressed digital audio. So the sound is great but the picture, while better than vhs, is disappointing compared to U2's dvds.
The framing is 1.33:1 with 2 track stereo only. Given a video remastering, a surround 5.1 soundtrack and maybe 'Trying to Throw Your Arms' added back in, I would expect the DVD to be worth waiting for.

Thanks...I know there are players out there that play both sides of a disc (although changing sides doesn’t bother me for quality). But seeing that the picture quality of the Zootv LD is "disappointing" I'm glad I didn't get it. I'll wait for the DVD.

I think U2 will be releasing much more on DVD. Alot of their live shows are already available on this format. I can't stand laserdiscs since you have to flip them midway through.

kingofsorrow said:

am i hate burst your bubble, but you don't have to flip an LD. the players automatically do that.

Not all players are dual sided. Most are at this point that are still around, but my first player didn't.

I currently have 3 working players and ALL the official U2 releases (except the 2nd version of Rattle and Hum).

Chrisedge said:

Not all players are dual sided. Most are at this point that are still around, but my first player didn't.

I currently have 3 working players and ALL the official U2 releases (except the 2nd version of Rattle and Hum).

you need to get rid of that old thang. get you one of them brand new, completely used, slices, dices, waterproof, flame-retardant, radar jamming, collapsable, inflatable, fuel efficient, less thread wear, environmentally safe units.

Back
Top Bottom