U2 Bootleg Urban Legend Thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kennerado

Refugee
Ok, so I stole this from someone on the Vertigo Audio/Video board. Anyway I will get the ball rolling.

Melbourne Zooropa 13/11/1993: Audience Shot Video.

I know for a fact that this exists. I have been told that it was shot from the stands somewhere. The unfortunate thing is that the taper wont share it with anybody.

Sydney Lovetown Proshots.

You know the MTV Lovetown Special? Well, I have also been told that Richard Lowenstein filmed not one, but THREE Sydney shows complete. This is the ULTIMATE holy grail of proshots as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
What about the Outside Broadcast El Paso, TX show? That show featured the MTV North America winner who had the show broadcasted to their home. Has that pro-shot ever surfaced?

kennerado said:

You know the MTV Lovetown Special? Well, I have also been told that Richard Lowenstein filmed not one, but THREE Sydney shows complete. This is the ULTIMATE holy grail of proshots as far as I am concerned.

Three were filmed?, Wow, I knew 11/18 was filmed in its entirity.

I think the third show in NYC on the 3rd leg of the Elevation tour (it was one of the 3 october dates) was filmed professionally too.

^ :scratch: South Bend, IN, as in the University of Notre Dame. U2 played there on October 10, 2001 and the whole show was webcast.

There were actually 5 feeds total, the band members and then one wide angle full stage shot. I'm sure all angles were captured. What the quality is like on them or whether they were spliced together to make one DVD is another story. Not sure thats an urban legend as all of those feeds were broadcast to the general public openly. :shrug:

Blue Room said:
^ :scratch: South Bend, IN, as in the University of Notre Dame. U2 played there on October 10, 2001 and the whole show was webcast.

There were actually 5 feeds total, the band members and then one wide angle full stage shot. I'm sure all angles were captured. What the quality is like on them or whether they were spliced together to make one DVD is another story. Not sure thats an urban legend as all of those feeds were broadcast to the general public openly. :shrug:

U2bloodredsky.com used to have real player files in quite crappy quality (I think there was some backstage stuff, and the band members)

The Bonocam DVD is excellent quality, but it makes you strain your neck trying to look off the picture for something other than Bono for the whole 2 hours!!!

Can make you feel a little claustrophobic (spelt right?).

2001-10-25 NYC proshot
2001-10-16? Chicago proshot (Bonocam) - might be the 15th
Denver & Tempe '87 complete proshots
1989-09-27 & 1989-11-18 Sydney proshots (we have partials)
1989-12-31 Dublin proshot (pretty sure this one's BS, but imagine...)
1992-10-27 El Paso proshot
1997-09-30 Tel Aviv proshot
1984-11-21 Dortmund complete pro
197-05-15 East Rutherford pro (the likely source of the 5 sbd tracks from that gig)

I'm sure some of these exist, and most likely some don't...

Belfast 1981-01-23 (full U2 set)! - It exists somewhere... :huh:

Last edited:
CTU2fan said:

1989-12-31 Dublin proshot (pretty sure this one's BS, but imagine...)

There's at least Streets from this show floating around. I believe I put it up a while back in the Save File Thread. The fact that there's part of it out there gives me hope that the whole thing exists.....

Utoo said:

There's at least Streets from this show floating around. I believe I put it up a while back in the Save File Thread. The fact that there's part of it out there gives me hope that the whole thing exists.....

Oh, the whole thing exists. Do any U2 traders have it? Highly unlikely. The rumor that it is out there is most likely simply because the Streets clip and part of I Will Follow were broadcast on TV. People jump to conclusions and/or rumors get started as a result. I would apply that to 90% of what I see listed on this thread. :shrug:

Blue Room said:

Oh, the whole thing exists. Do any U2 traders have it? Highly unlikely. The rumor that it is out there is most likely simply because the Streets clip and part of I Will Follow were broadcast on TV. People jump to conclusions and/or rumors get started as a result. I would apply that to 90% of what I see listed on this thread. :shrug:

I know what you're saying - we need some proof guys!

In another thread I argued the case for a couple of shows based on their sound and the fact that the whole boot is available in this particular sound - to quote myself...

U2mixer said:

To add fuel to the pro-shot rumour surrounding the 19th (I realise that most, if not all, shows were filmed for possible inclusion on RAH) that bootleg I mentioned above is touted as a soundboard, but it sounds too much like the feed from a pro-shot.

If we look at the sound of other 'unreleased' pro-shots (Adelaide, DC, Syracuse and Stockholm to name a few) they all have a very similar sound ie low crowd noise, flat sound, poor stereo (due to no remastering which is usually done after the recording) which leads me to believe that the Tempe 19th show DOES exist as a pro-shot.

Fans have to realise that other 'soundboard' claimed sourced bootlegs are often mistakenly referred to as soundboard when they are usually, but not always, ALD, IEM, television or radio broadcasts and even audience recordings where the guy has got near to a speaker, monitor, stack etc. To add to this confusion, there are numerous great sounding matrixes out there which are usually ALDs or IEMs mixed with good audience.

I'm going to kick myself here, but I'd stick my neck out and say that the famous Rotterdam 15-6-92 exists as a pro-shot and so does Adelaide 27-10-89 - both shows I've yet to see on traders lists.
Why?
1. The quality and sound of the source (see above)
2. The sources showed up as audio bootlegs which were taken from the circulating videos of the shows
3. These shows were professionally filmed (as were all shows 87 onward)

I'm not just throwing 'myths' into the wind here because I think I make a good argument.
I could name more, but let's leave it at that for now because the only proof that I have is circumstancial.

I'm not keen on fans just 'guessing' or 'wishing' because this instigates the rumours that lead fans on wild goose-chases.

The 31st proshot is an example of this in the fact that the 2 circulating videos of the band performing were broadcast, but there is no full concert audio bootleg (nevermind video) of the same audio/feed source. The circulating bootlegs are ALL radio broadcasts and not soundboard recordings as some traders state - some are clean others are a bit rough.

So some proof to back up your 'legends' guys.

Yeah, I'm gonna walk into Lowenstien's office and ask for his master tapes. I know those Sydney shows were filmed because I have heard reports from fans in attendence that at least one camera was set up on a ramp at the front of the stage.

I personally would love to see the full UF Meadowlands show on DVD. There is a clip of Wire from the show out there that looks really sweet.

kennerado said:
Yeah, I'm gonna walk into Lowenstien's office and ask for his master tapes. I know those Sydney shows were filmed because I have heard reports from fans in attendence that at least one camera was set up on a ramp at the front of the stage.

The band have filmed virtually ALL their shows since 87 so there WERE most probably cameras and ramps, but that doesn't mean that the recording is out there - which is the point of this thread.

Every Zoo, Pop, Elevation and Vertigo concert was filmed, but that doesn't mean that they're out there in trader-land.

What we need is proof that a pro-shot is circulating and therefore attainable to fans.

Here's a few others with a bit of info

Cork Opera house, 05/10/1979 - this was broadcast by RTE on 06/12/1979 and repeated on 21/01/1980, the programme was called 'Bogey Boys'. RTE's betacam master was stolen from their library in 1995

SLF & U2 Play Belfast, 23/01/1981 - 4 songs from each artist were broadcast on 12/08/1981, I will Follow was also broadcast as part of Sounds of the 80's on 16/02/1996. The full show does not exist in BBC's London library but may exist in BBC Belfast library, i'm currently waiting to hear back from them. An unknown high gen source of the full show did surface in 1987.

Victoria Apollo, London, 18/12/1983 - Granada TV filmed the whole thing for future release, it was going to be a Greenpeace benefit video with all artists similar to the Stop Sellafield video but was scrapped.

Europe Oct/Nov/1984 - Several shows were recorded for a planned live album/video release which was also scrapped, some of the footage was used for Bad & Sort of homecoming videos,

Meadowlands, 15/04/1985 - BBC did record the full show, only part of Wire was shown, no longer in their vaults.

Dublin, 31/12/1989 - RTE did film the full show and the 1st 2 songs were broadcast live, there were plans to show more footage which never materialised, RTE no longer hold any of the footage.

There is also a lot of newsreel footage floating around leading to rumours of full concerts existing. In most cases it was only the 1st 3 songs that the tv station received, there are too many of these to list.

ISO: 'Rock Follies', Beursschouwburg, Brussels, 10/02/1981 - broadcast on RTBF Belgian/French channel on 14/02/1981, any further help tracking this down will be appreciated

cmcmc said:
Here's a few others with a bit of info

Cork Opera house, 05/10/1979 - this was broadcast by RTE on 06/12/1979 and repeated on 21/01/1980, the programme was called 'Bogey Boys'. RTE's betacam master was stolen from their library in 1995

SLF & U2 Play Belfast, 23/01/1981 - 4 songs from each artist were broadcast on 12/08/1981, I will Follow was also broadcast as part of Sounds of the 80's on 16/02/1996. The full show does not exist in BBC's London library but may exist in BBC Belfast library, i'm currently waiting to hear back from them. An unknown high gen source of the full show did surface in 1987.

Victoria Apollo, London, 18/12/1983 - Granada TV filmed the whole thing for future release, it was going to be a Greenpeace benefit video with all artists similar to the Stop Sellafield video but was scrapped.

Europe Oct/Nov/1984 - Several shows were recorded for a planned live album/video release which was also scrapped, some of the footage was used for Bad & Sort of homecoming videos,

Meadowlands, 15/04/1985 - BBC did record the full show, only part of Wire was shown, no longer in their vaults.

Dublin, 31/12/1989 - RTE did film the full show and the 1st 2 songs were broadcast live, there were plans to show more footage which never materialised, RTE no longer hold any of the footage.

There is also a lot of newsreel footage floating around leading to rumours of full concerts existing. In most cases it was only the 1st 3 songs that the tv station received, there are too many of these to list.

ISO: 'Rock Follies', Beursschouwburg, Brussels, 10/02/1981 - broadcast on RTBF Belgian/French channel on 14/02/1981, any further help tracking this down will be appreciated

Granada TV also filmed the first Croke Park show in 1987. They used the concert footage for their documentary U2: Anthem For the 80's.

Also in regards to the prior posts about Sydney 89. All three of the final Sydney shows were filmed. I remember reading an interview or article about it back in that time frame. They obviously only ended up using the 11-18 show though for the documentary. So those all existed at some point. Again, whether a U2 fan or trader is in possession of them is highly doubtful.

What a great topic for a Thread - I want to thank you all for this information.

chrissybaby said:
how do you know that rte no longer have the 31st? Did they have to give it back to McGuiness?

I know that that RTE don't have it any more because i tried to buy the show from them.

I actually believe I have that Cork Opera House gig, lemme check...

YES I HAVE THE 5.10.79 PERFORMANCE (audio) OF THE CORK OPERA HOUSE! Ten songs, not the best quality, but it's the boot, hey.

And how bout the fact that U2 was supposed to release Vertigo shows on iTunes?

The above is true. Richard has the tapes and is asking something like $5,000 Australian for the tapes

oscar08 said:
The above is true. Richard has the tapes and is asking something like $5,000 Australian for the tapes

If this is true - and no offence but I doubt he'd ask for a measly $5000 - then I'm up for putting £10 English (whatever that is in Aussie dollars) so all I need now is another 500 fans and we can attain the Holy Grail of Lovetown shows for only £$10 each.

:wink:

oscar08 said:

So you are in contact with him and he offered them to you for that price? Otherwise it sounds like more internet BS.

whoahhhh!!!! Can we get some clarity on this please??
Oscar, how did you get in touch with Richard?
$5000 for what exactly, does he actually have these pro-shots in his collection, and could he legally sell them?

Please respond, this could be one of the biggest finds in U2 history if true...

Back
Top Bottom