Some good quality bootlegs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Hey folks,

I'm doing a bit of a trade with my friend and I thought I'd ask for your help. Basically, he's buying some old stuff of mine off me because he really wants it, and because he can't pay the full price because he's mildly out of cash (heh, and this is with a bit of a friend's discount too!), I told him I'd agree to him making up the shortfall by giving me some U2 bootlegs instead. Thus, I have a couple of questions;

1. Is this an OK trade, or does it break the idea of not making a profit? (I personally don't feel it does, but I'd like to hear some other thoughts) Basically, my friend, because he has a high-speed Internet connection and a CD burner and I have neither of those (maybe soon, but not now), will download the concerts and put them on CD for me.

2. What bootlegs would you recommend? I'm particularly looking for good quality stuff from the Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, and ZooTV eras, and even more particularly with very good performances of 11 O'clock Tick Tock, Gloria, and Bad (and they don't have to be from the eras I stated). (As a sidenote, I already have 13/12/81, 28/02/83, 31/12/89, 23/09/97, and one containing the San Francisco "Save the Yuppies" concert plus six tracks from other concerts) One prerequisite is that this concert must be available somewhere online so that my friend can download it and put it on CD for me.

Thanks for any help/opinions.

- Andre/Axver

ok i'll help you out with the quality of some good shows.....

ok lets start with
Joshua Tree (b/c i havent got my hard drive full of boots yet and dont have much from 80-85)

1987-09-28 New York 1987 i havent got this , but its rated 4 of 5
1987-11-07 Caught On 35mm Black & White Sounboard Ex
1987-11-24 Fort Worth VG audience (famous show where "when love comes to town" on R&H Video)

now for some
ZOO TV :drool:
1992-03-27 Pizzas For Everybody VG auience
1992-06-11 Dancing Zoo TV EX Audience (Possibley the best audience recording ever! + a top show!)
1992-06-15 Zoo TV From The Mixing Desk Ex Sounboard Great show)
1992-08-13 East Rutherford 1992 (2B) VG Sounboard
1993-08-11 Wembley Nights Volume 1 & 2
1993-08-12 Wembley Nights Volume 3 & 4
1993-08-20 Wembley Nights Volume 5 & 6
1993-08-21 Wembley Nights Volume 7 & 8
1993-08-28 Zootopia (Amazing Sounboard)
1993-11-12 Melbourne 1993 (1A) (Good Audience, bot not great...but a great show)
1993-11-16 Adelaide 1993 (EX Sounboard)
1993-11-27 Zoo TV Live From Sydney (includes "trying to thorw your arms around the world A+++ show)

hope that kinda help :wave:

That's great, thank you Bono_man. I have one song from the 28/09/1987 concert, Exit, on mp3, and it's great. One thing I've seen before that's confused me then and confused me now - what do you mean after Melbourne 1993 when you say 1A?

By the way, that hard drive of boots sounds absolutely incredible. I am quite the envious one.

I think it's ok regarding the profit issue since you used a friend's discount.

Joshua Tree - obviously Rock's hottest ticket is great, :yes: to Back in Denver 7th November 1987, also 25 April San Francisco show is really nice

From Zoo TV - Zoo Europa 28 August 1993 is the most famous one, Dancing Zoo TV is a really good band sound, for audience participation I really like Wild horses in Milan 22 May 1992.

Thanks U2girl. Anyone else got any recommendations? Anywhere I can get these shows online?

Axver said:
what do you mean after Melbourne 1993 when you say 1A?

By the way, that hard drive of boots sounds absolutely incredible. I am quite the envious one.

by melbourne 1A , well U2bloodredky his a system going....the 1 is for First date of that tour and the A for recording number.....
so there might be 4 boots from one date titled Melbourne 1A, Melbourne 2B and Melbourne 2C

about the hard drive, if you want after christmas i will resmue trading, you could send me a hard drive and i could do they same to you as what i'm getting, i suggest get a 160 GB off ebay...there cheaper and thats where i'm getting mine...
that goes for everyon here too, if you want a drive just let me know and we can work something out

:wave:

also if you can find a bootleg of Brisbane 1993 that would be extra special becase its REALLY rare.......but its not even known if it was recorded in the first place

Ah cool, thanks for explaining about '1A'. I'm not sure if I'd be able to do a hard drive trade with you, though I'd love to ... roughly how much would I have to pay total (assuming here that I have to pay for postage as well as the hard drive)?

I believe I once read that Brisbane 1993 is the one concert from which no bootleg has ever surfaced from (or at least from the recent era; obviously few have surfaced from the early years). I think there's only two ZooTV concerts that are problematic in regards to boots: Brisbane, because there is none, and Christchurch, because the entire recording of the show is basically un-listen-to-able, although someone did record 60 minutes on a handheld video camera or something. I've got the New Year's Day snippet from that recording on mp3, and it's not too bad.

yeah i have that vcd of the christchurch show....very distant but great sound...

a hard drive you can buy brand new (160 GB) which in australia will cost you about $300 :(
i'm getting one off ebay....which is going to cost me about $150
incuding shipping
but i'm getting it shipped to america then australia, and its a bit harder to find people who ship to australia from amercia (for hard drives anyway) though i've seen a few that do....
so it may end up costing you $200 or there abouts.....but its sure worth it, your saving $150 and up if you buy one in australia....

No recording for the Brisbane 93 show has ever surfaced. So you are correct on that. Surprisingly there are a couple of shows from the Zoo era that were not recorded or were recorded and never shared.

9-9-92 Detroit (no full version has ever surfaced)
9-15-92 Chicago
Brisbane 93

Detroit and Chicago are killers for me as I was at both and So Cruel was played at both. Of course recordings of these do exist but they are in the vaults at Principle.

Blue Room said:

9-9-92 Detroit (no full version has ever surfaced)
9-15-92 Chicago
Brisbane 93

Those crappy midwest tapers...

icon12.gif

Wow, I can't believe that Detroit and Chicago haven't surfaced. If you'd given me a list of ZooTV shows and asked me to pick the three that hadn't surfaced, those are two I definitely would not have picked.

And I'd love to do a hard drive trade with you, Bono_man, but $200 is a bit out of my price range right now. Once I get a job and have put enough money away to cover costs for the next U2 tour, then I might be able to. Wish I had a rich relative to borrow some money off ...

Would it be at all possible to do a trade or B&P of that Christchurch show when you resume trading? Being from NZ, I'd love a recording of any live show from there.

sure, i dont have a complete copy of the christchruch show....i have the incomplte vcd.....but i have the complete Auckland shows which is a nice audience
i'll let you know when i'm trading again (i really need a job too ;))
but it should be early new year

Randomly posted early. See below for proper post.

Last edited:
Shame trading U2 stuff can't be a well-paying job for me. If I stumbled across Brisbane 93, however ... :wink:

When I have the money available, I'll definitely do a hard drive trade with you. I just wish I didn't have to wait!

And yeah, I'm aware the Christchurch VCD is incomplete, but it would be fantastic to have, and thank you for the Auckland offer! I hear the complete Christchurch bootleg (audio only) is nearly unlistentoable, which is a real shame.

you have the complete christchurch show!!!
it doesnt worry me that its unlitenable....its just soon i will have almost all of zoo tv (beside the unrecorded ones and the ones yet to surface into trading)

Oh, sorry Bono_man and anyone else who may've got their hopes up, I just worded things poorly. I don't have the entire Christchurch boot. Just a bit on my computer. I'm TRYING to get it, though. If I do manage to get a copy, I'll gladly B&P a copy with anyone who wants it.

And Marty McFly, you have to be kidding. If you aren't, would it be at all possible for me to have a copy? B&P?

Ooo, Brisbane ZooTV photos. Now if only a bootleg would surface ... I just wish U2 would open their vault and let us have a copy.

And can anyone provide any information about this u2holland.nl person? They've got bootlegs I thought didn't exist. Are they just full of crap, or could they actually be genuine?

Marty McFly said:

How interesting... Considering I taped both of these myself.

Yeah right, if you are serious (which I highly doubdt) send me an email.

Bono_man, the Detroit recording you have found is probebly not complete. There is a partial of about the first 6 to 7 songs from the show that is from the MTV satellite transmission.

Yeah, I'm serious. But let me guess, in order to prove it I have to send you my source tapes, which you PROMISE to not spread now that you have some of the rarest tapes in your possession, right? No thanks. If you don't believe me I'm quite O.K. with it.

I don't think he cares if we believe him or not. I mean, why does he have to prove it? But I am curious why he wouldn't want to put the recordings out here for people to share.

Let's just say I paid an inordinate amount of money for a relatively rare U2 item which has since been spread freely by the guy I bought it from. Plenty of my recordings from 1984 to 1989 are circulating, I no longer feel a need to dump them into the cyber-sea. On the off chance something extremely rare floats by me I might consider trading one of them, but odds are pretty long that will happen.

the zoomerang tour is probably the leg that interests me the most. As it has the best setlists U2 have done, excellent balance of AB and Zooropa material

I cant remember the url but 'Keith's U2 Trading' (i think thats the name) has a full boot of the Christchurch show on CD. But he claims it is unlistenable and one of the worst quality boots he has.
It was never uploaded onto the bloodredsky servers.

The Christchurch VCD has good audio, but the visuals are distant. On my one there is a blue outline around everyone, one good thing about it is the great view you get of the Zoo stage in its entirety. If the guy had known about the set list he could have probably rationed the 60 mins better. Eg i would rather see a song than the zoo confessionals.

Its a shame about the Brisbane show never surfacing, you would think out of 50,000 punters someone had a tape player.

Hoarders, what can i say.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom