Rare VHS/DVD Transfer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rabnax

The Fly
I've recently received a VHS copy of U2 playing Glasgow on 30/07/1987. The picture is a bit jumpy but all in all the quality is pretty good. I'm fairly sure I've not seen this show on people's DVD lists before so I want to transfer it to DVD. The problem is I don't know how to do it. Can anyone here help me?

I have a 1st gen copy of this which will be getting copied to DVD with menus/chapters very soon.

when something is being considered for conversion to DVD from VHS it must be the absolute best version out there

You see Jerome, this is where I have a problem with the "Trade Police". I have a low generation copy of a VHS, cmcmc has a 1st generation copy which he plans to put on a DVD and you tell us that a master copy is circulating and, presumably this goes for cmcmc too, putting a higher generation copy onto DVD would be an act of pollution.

The thing is Jerome, this is one of those shows that circulates in "rare" trading circles. Unless someone has a considerable collection (like you) they will never get their hands on it. I don't expect you, or any other collector, to give away copies of their rare stuff for nothing but don't whinge if a rare show does get circulated. I know that the source I got this from (who I believe to be either the taper or close to the taper) has no problems in my putting the show onto DVD. I've got a fairly small dvd collection at the moment and I wouldn't have a cat in hells chance of getting some of this rarer stuff and neither would the vast majority of other traders. So the question is: Which is the lesser of two evils? Do you have a master copy of a hand held audience show that only 15 people ever get to see or do you have a slightly inferior version that's available to the masses? As long as I don't try and pass my copy off as a master copy where is the problem?

rabnax said:
You see Jerome, this is where I have a problem with the "Trade Police". I have a low generation copy of a VHS, cmcmc has a 1st generation copy which he plans to put on a DVD and you tell us that a master copy is circulating and, presumably this goes for cmcmc too, putting a higher generation copy onto DVD would be an act of pollution.

The thing is Jerome, this is one of those shows that circulates in "rare" trading circles. Unless someone has a considerable collection (like you) they will never get their hands on it. I don't expect you, or any other collector, to give away copies of their rare stuff for nothing but don't whinge if a rare show does get circulated. I know that the source I got this from (who I believe to be either the taper or close to the taper) has no problems in my putting the show onto DVD. I've got a fairly small dvd collection at the moment and I wouldn't have a cat in hells chance of getting some of this rarer stuff and neither would the vast majority of other traders. So the question is: Which is the lesser of two evils? Do you have a master copy of a hand held audience show that only 15 people ever get to see or do you have a slightly inferior version that's available to the masses? As long as I don't try and pass my copy off as a master copy where is the problem?

Bingo. If you want your master copy to be the one circulating, then circulate it. Otherwise you can't claim "pollution".

This very thing happened with a Tenancious D video I had been working on. 2nd gen VHS (The best that was around) was made into a DVD, while I was working on one from the master. Well, I had taken far too long to finish the DVD, the 2nd gen one got circulating. The only thing I could do, was spread the word, AND the master DVD one, as fast as possible. Now that is the one most folks have.

rabnax said:

I couldn't agree more. As long as people are honest about their source info I don't see the problem either.

There is a group of us working to locate the best possible sources for these shows and 'hoarding' is not in our vocabulary.

Please try and refrain from transferring generated VHS to DVD without researching if there is a better source to transfer. anything that is 2nd gen VHS or worse should not be transferred. If you have not made an effort to locate a better source you should not be transferring it.

This show is not exactly rare, it is simply lightly circulated, that is going to change. Think I am kidding? go to sharingthegroove.org and look in the DVD torrent section and you will find 6 or 8 u2 DVD's with more to come.

Soulrock2 said:

I couldn't agree more. As long as people are honest about their source info I don't see the problem either.

The problem is that the next guy down the line might not be so honest about the source and things can spread VERY quickly in todays trading enviroment.

Everyone would rather see the best possible quality, so be a little patient. My Dad use to tell me anything worth having is worth waiting for.

I will try and be more diligent about posting Bit Torrent links on this board

Are you the same person who torrents all these amazing dvd's? U2, Berlin, Briney Spears and more? Well, I don't download them (no bandwith) but you and your group are definately heroes of mine!

People can't advertize sharingthegroove.org enough IMO.

So here you go. One more time: www.sharingthegroove.org. For all people who like to share good live music. Please be honest and upload the same amount as you download or offer B&P.

P.S. I have patience. Actually I am taking a break from trading lol :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom