Officially Allow Taping at U2 Concerts Petition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about a petition for U2 to do official soundboard recordings of each show instead? (IE Pearl Jam, Peter Gabriel, The Who, Duran Duran, Dave Matthews Band) I would rather see that and it would probebly be more plausible even though both are unlikely. Not to be a wet blanket but I can tell you with a certain degree of certainty that U2 are never going to officially endorse bootleg taping. There are many reasons as to why. Paul McGuinness has addressed this issue in several interviews.

Last edited:
I have put together quotes from all members and Paul mentioning the "acceptance" of taping. Never seen anything from Paul otherwise. Link? Quote?

I dont have the link to it, but Paul has indicated several times that while they dont really care if people tape their shows they are not going to encourage it or tell people to do it. I have had the oppurtunity to actually ask him about this in person (of course this was in 1997, so maybe he has changed his mind) and he said about the same thing to me about this subject. The
reason? Because of U2's contract Island/Interscope has exclusive license to any U2 material, live or studio which obviously would include concerts. So it really is not up to U2 on this one. The only way it would be is if they negotiated the allowance of it in their contract. First, they are not going to re-negotiate their contract for this issue. Second, they dont care enough about it to even make it an issue in their contract.

I'am not saying its impossible either, I just saying its very unlikely and while I think your efforts are noble they would be better spent towards an objective that may be more feasible and more rewarding IMO. Official soundboard boots of each show is really the wave of the future as I pointed out, alot of artists are already doing it. I know Clear Channel is pushing it with alot of their artists also. So I think there is a much greater chance of that being pulled off versus an official taping policy and who knows, maybe a huge petition for it, like the Slane one, will convince them to do it. It is a major money generator and it eliminates bootlegging. They could even donate the profits for it to charity if they wanted (like the Who did) and avoid the "selling out" flack that also might result.

I think both are unlikely unfortunately, I'am just saying the official bootleg option would have a much greater chance of success.

Last edited:
I think it will be easier to convince them to allow taping than to do the soundboards. They are so close to allowing it anyways, and given the fact they own part of Island it would be easy enough to do. Plus they have said in more than one interview (at least the edge has) that they don't wanna do the sbd show thing because they don't vary the setlists enough to do that. I would prefer the whole soundboard thing, I have bought both The Who and Duran Duran shows I attended from themusic.com (even though DD ended up editing the shows).

Obviously either would be great. Hopefully the petition will drive them in the right direction ahead of the tour.

Can't hurt to sign it, can it? ;)

Hmm, do you have a link to Edge saying this about the official board thing?? LOL I'am curious actually. I would say he has a point except that the Who's setlist was WAY more static than what U2 does, and they did it. Maybe we should get Larry on board, major money involved, he would probebly love the idea! LOL

Actually, like I said, they could donate the profits to charity and make their fans super happy. Bono could donate the profits to D.A.T.A. It just makes sense IMO, you generate money on a product that is being put out their anyway without your permission, and you virtually eliminate professional bootlegging. I guess we just need to convince the band and Paul. I think they will do it eventually as I think all artists will at some point. Unfortunately it wont be by the next tour.

Maybe you should make the petition say and/or LOL, cover all the bases because I would be happy if either happened.

Last edited:
I thought the Pearl Jam and Who idea of making official recordings - with obviously great quality - of their tour available - for a reasonable price I guess - was great! I dunno...maybe other bands will follow that - it would be one way of fighting bootlegging without harming the fans.

:confused: I have a different question: my brother who is a Pearl Jam fan bought one of their official bootlegs and there is evident sound of audience. Now, aren't soundboards (I'm thinking Washington DC or Adelaide Zoo tv shows) usually not that "generous" with audience sound?

*edit* The only question is whether band's label would allow it.

OK more questions: if U2 or their label said they're ok with taping their shows or even did what PJ did, would that interfere with RIAA's current chase for bootlegs? Is what PJ or the Who did with their tour recordings ok with RIAA? And is RIAA only after those people who have bootlegs of official band releases - like albums or singles - or do they also hunt down live unauthorised recordings?

Last edited:
A true raw soundboard has little to no audience noise. This is the type of board that is done for archive purposes or for the band to use and these seldom see the light of day. I believe Pearl Jam puts a mic to the crowd, much like what would be done if a concert was being filmed or recorded for official release. So you will hear the crowd. Also even without a mic on the crowd the stage mics can pick up the audience that is at the front, especially during quiet moments on stage (IE, the band isnt playing). Regarding your examples, Adelaide 93 and DC 92, those are technically not soundboards. They are from a pro shot video that is getting a soundboard feed to it, but it is not right off the board (this is getting technical though, there isnt a huge difference other than alot more clarity and sharpness with a true direct board, but basically the sounds are similiar)

What the RIAA is against is downloading material for free. Bootlegs are kind of a gray area with this. The RIAA doesnt like bootlegs either but that is not really what they are going after at this time. Regarding the official soundboard thing, it would be official and if people purchased the music and the revenue went to the artist or label there would be no problem. It no different than when U2 released UABRS. Except that they would be releasing every single show. Now if someone put it on Kazaa or an FTP for free download, then the RIAA would really have a problem with it.

Thanks!

(I think some of Dublin's Lovetown shows are soundboards, and Back in Denver...?)

Pearl Jam's official bootlegs are still grey area with this. The band stated the shows are not for trading as long as they are for sale. But... all shows were torrented and that site never got busted. It's really weird... I think this is because the band couldn't care less. It's the record company who cares... Really grey area.

BTW, on this topic I agree with Blue Room: official soundboards are the future and the way to go IMO.

Back In Denver is from a Pro shot video, I believe the Dublin 89 shows are all direct boards (except 12-31-89 which is an FM broadcast).

Ah I see...I noticed the sound on the mentioned shows is different than most others so I thought maybe all of them were soundboards. Oh well. ;)

So technically if majority - or at least the most relevant bands - went along with official recording of tours, would that at least in some way disable RIAA's hunt? (at least for bootlegs)

Blue Room said:
What the RIAA is against is downloading material for free. Bootlegs are kind of a gray area with this. The RIAA doesnt like bootlegs either but that is not really what they are going after at this time. Regarding the official soundboard thing, it would be official and if people purchased the music and the revenue went to the artist or label there would be no problem. It no different than when U2 released UABRS. Except that they would be releasing every single show. Now if someone put it on Kazaa or an FTP for free download, then the RIAA would really have a problem with it.

But the RIAA doesn't have a leg to stand on if the band allows taping/trading? See PJ as an example. They released the SBDs, people can trade them (Both the 2000 and 2003 shows are OK to trade once no longer available in stores) So how can the RIAA come after you for trading/sharing/downloading shows that the band has said OK with?

I read in NME that Every Lovetown Show was recorded and the Band would listen to various bits and bobs to go over certain bits. That's the only example of that subject that I know of.

To my knowledge the Entire Zoo TV was Filmed, Popmart was all Recorded at the Soundboard but Elevation, I'm not sure. Please don't jump down my throat for any of the comments in the post, I'm only repeating knowledge I've read over the years. Not my fault, if I'm wrong.

Chrisedge, I never said the RIAA would come after you for trading. They have bigger fish to fry than people engaged in that activity. But they would never support it either. They dont even go after the pro bootleggers that often. So that was not what I was trying to say. I was just trying to answer U2Girl's question about them.

Paddy, every U2 show and soundcheck since the October tour has been recorded from the soundboard.

REALLY?! WHOA! That's a heck of a library! I never knew that! Cheers for that info, there! :) I think I'll mention that in my Project (U2 Boxset- Graphic Design)

Seriously...whoa.

Also, I believe every single concert since The Joshua Tree has been filmed.

filmed or not.... the fact that they could release every show is a great thing....
-no more probootlegging
-greater quality of soundshows
or a way to download online for this or this show....with a price to pay by paypal or else....it's an idea just an idea....

U2 (or their management ) will NEVER consent to selling every concert as an official 'bootleg' or DVD.
The nearest to this we may get is -

1 : When the band split because this will still earn them money, but there still won't be that many made available - 10s rather than 100s.

2 : When U2 agree that selling an official concert recording of a specific gig (no, not like Slane) will benefit a charity/cause rather than lining their own pockets.

But also remember guys, that if 100s of concerts were released then this doesn't mean that they're going to be great sounding.
Many sound mixers don't get it right on the night and even though they can 'remaster', or overdub a recording, if the engineer doesn't get it right then there's no replay - recording a gig is a one off happening.
Sound recording is an art, and no engineer will allow a release of a show that he/she is unhappy with without it runing into legal ranglings - and who wants all that hassle!

Axver said:
Also, I believe every single concert since The Joshua Tree has been filmed.

Nope, the entire third leg was filmed and portions of the first and 2nd leg. But not the entire tour. The whole tour was recorded however.

I wouldnt say its impossible for U2 to do the official soundboard thing. It seems to be the trend now. But I think its unlikely. Alot of bands though under Clear Channel are moving to it. The Who, Peter Gabriel, Duran Duran, Dave Matthews Band, Barenaked Ladies, Phish and some others as well. The Rolling Stones were also considering it on the last tour but never made up their minds. I would bet though knowing Mick's love of money that they will be doing it on their next tour.

U2's excuse is that they dont change their setlist enough to warrant it. Thiey might have a point but The Who did it and their setlists are identical. Also if this were the case, there would be no demand for U2 bootlegs and they are one of the most highly bootlegged artists out there. So there is obviously a demand for the shows.

Blue Room said:

U2's excuse is that they dont change their setlist enough to warrant it. Thiey might have a point but The Who did it and their setlists are identical. Also if this were the case, there would be no demand for U2 bootlegs and they are one of the most highly bootlegged artists out there. So there is obviously a demand for the shows.

Which is an extreme cop out. So what if they don't vary the setlist? As you mentioned, U2 is one of the most bootlegged bands out there. An official recording of each concert is the ultimate tour souvenir. Not to mention im sure most die hard collectors would buy most of them anyways.

What about that itune bootleg article in U2News section? Think that might happen?

I think it's more likely than officially allow fans taping...

*edit* AFAIK, JT tour and Zoo TV tour had changes in their setlist - latter shows definitely were different to the earlier ones. Even Popmart had some changes, as well as Elevation where they played more songs than ever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom