New multicam/SBD show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buckman?s examples are good ones. And old-fashioned trading, not one-way downloading, is the best way to root shows out of people?s closets, attics, garages, storage bins.

Example 1: (this hypothetical is in the time before the JTLA 87 spread like wildfire): X has the LA ?87 VHS master. Y has a Cork ?87 VHS master. Both will only trade for like items, and they strike a deal, agreeing only to trade for like items (and agree to consult each other before future trades). Seven months later, X mines out Z, who has the Toronto ?85 VHS master, and they do a three-way trade (same conditions). Nineteen months later, along comes W, who has the Boston ?92 VHS master; another trade is conducted (same conditions). Three years later, Q is found, who has a Dortmund ?89 VHS master, another trade is conducted (same conditions). Because people have stuck to careful one to one trading, like item for like item, there?s now more shows in the pool?in the long run, this benefits everyone. Notice that this hypothetical doesn?t assume (like some do) that it?s OK after three months to mass distribute a show.

Example 2: X has the LA ?87 VHS master, and trades it to A (with the same agreement/conditions listed above), who thinks of himself as generous and ups it on the stateless bit torrent site (or carelessly trades or gives it to someone else to ups it on the stateless bit torrent site). Within a few weeks, 500+ people have downloaded it, without ever conducting a trade. Y has no need to trade the Cork ?87 master; Z has no need to trade the Toronto ?85 master; W has no need to trade the Boston ?92 VHS master; Q has no need to trade the Dortmund ?89 master. Maybe Y, Z, W, and Q trade amongst themselves, but fewer people have the show. Maybe Z and Q are so put off by the downloading climate they decide not to trade at all. Maybe G, who has dozens and dozens of low gen footage, decides not to trade at all. No one else has their shows, and there?s fewer shows in the pool.

Example 3: X has the LA ?87 VHS master, and trades it to Z, who has the Toronto ?85 VHS master (same conditions as in Example 1). After three months, X figures he?s gotten enough trades, and becomes careless, and both shows end up on the stateless bit torrent site for 500 takers to download (without adding anything to the pool). X doesn?t realize that Z also taped the Toronto ?83 video (as well as tons of early TV footage); Z is so put off he decides not to trade any of that stuff out. Y, W, Q, and G have observed what has happened and decide to keep their shows untraded.

u2rulesmyworld is right?while it would be nice to have a porsche handed to one freely, life doesn?t usually work that way. Sometimes you can luck out and find someone who will trade the ?88 Honda for the 2004 Porsche, but that doesn?t happen often. The people who tape shows, who collected for decades and have nice tape/video collections, and who work hard to backtrack and ?find? masters and low gens of older stuff, all put in a lot of hard work, and there?s nothing wrong with them trading like quality for like quality, and trading with conditions if they so choose. Like u2rulesmy world said, it?s not as if there?s not a ton of U2 material available for those who can?t, for whatever reason (choice, circumstances) put in more effort and contributions.

bloodysunday972 said:
Believe me I do hold a lot of respect to the tapers.......I have a few friends that are tapers but they release everything they tape,Im not flaming them in anyway I just feel strongly about sharing music that's all.

but just becuase soemone doens't blast thier tape all over the universe doesn't mean their not sharing. trading like-quality for like-quality is a form of sharing, although a lot of people don't seem to understand this concept

OK, that's great you want to share like-quality stuff, but how do you suppose that people like myself, who are new to trading, can get in on this exclusive clique of yours?

I don't read any of the posters as saying it's about belonging to an "exclusive clique." Building a good collection of shows doesn't happen overnight, it takes a lot of time. Think of the tortoise and the hare story--if you're serious about collecting shows, just be patient and start doing the work required to build a collection. There's hundreds and hundreds of shows that are commonly available, so it's not that hard. Start trading with others who are starting out, and in time you'll have some nice shows.

u2rulesmyworld said:
...but when i get something rare i use it to trade for other rare things.

This is true.
Without having some 'golden nuggets' you're not going to attract trades from serious traders (and by that I mean traders who want to know exact details regarding source, equipment, even the names of U2 personnel, network staff and cameramen etc...).

But once a rarity has done the rounds of the traders/trade circles then it starts to lose it's rarity and then begins to filter down to the masses.

A belated HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all.

well i've got every elevation show on dvd...yep thats right all pro-shot....and if anyone wants them just e-mail me and i wont replie ;)
ok that was a joke....but if you belived me SUCKERS! lol

just wait maybe a few months and this show will be all over the place...like a rash

i have a VHS i could trade for it....i only have 1 copy of it and its ultra rare.....1993/11/12 melbourne VHS.....audience shot i give it 5/10 picture is exellent, just a little shaky on the camrea work...audio i give 8/10
i cant make copy of it, and i would almost be willing to trade for this show

Last edited:
thanks for the offer...i'll think about it
i really would like to get a vcd copy...i'm off on holiday for a week next week...
but i'll let you know

well it's quite good that some better dvd will surface
why keeping them rare I understand tarding them with rules
well we can understand
in the future those nice dvd will be trade freely
i'm impatient but it's the game
and i respect people who spend hour hour to do a good "job"
it's an hard work to create dvd
respect

It is nice to hear some more level headed comments in this thread, it is not like this show is rare, it has been highly traded, it is just that this show is an upgrade from the poorly mixed copy that marc did.

Daniel, great to hear about his show since I haven't seen it around. I can't put it on VCD for you, but as others have mentioned, it would be great if someone can convert it to DVD first and also a VCD for you. They should definitely give you a DVD of it if they are giving themselves a DVD of it. Actually, make sure they aren't going to be making a DVD of it to circulate in exclusive trade circles themselves *if that matters to you*.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom