Melon CD question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alifbaa

Babyface
Hi there. I've a copy of the Melon CD which I'm looking to sell, but I was wondering whether anyone here can shed a little more light on the authenticity of my copy for me.

Everything seems to suggest that it is legitimate, but the only concern I have is the CD matrix number.

u2wanderer.org lists the correct matrix number as MELONCD1 10335111 01 % MADE IN U.K. BY PDO

My copy has the matrix number MELONCD1 10335111 02 % MADE IN U.K. BY PDO

Does this make any difference to the copy? Does anyone have a rough idea what I could expect to get for this?

Many thanks,

Alifbaa :)

The disc was part of someone's collection that I bought on Ebay around 10 years ago, consisting mainly of original CD singles. The cardboard sleeve and CD artwork all seem genuine, but as there's this slight difference to the matrix number, I'm not sure what I've actually got here.

If I'd received it myself with a copy of Propaganda directly from the fan club, then I wouldn't question this, but at the same time I've never come across fabricated matrix numbers before. If it was fabricated, then I don't understand why the bootleggers wouldn't have done so with the original matrix number, rather than one which differs by a single digit, and this makes me think that this is a genuine CD. I'm open to suggestions though.

Thanks for your reply Marik.

Alifbaa

Based on the matrix numbers it seems to be a genuine one. Yes, there is a slight difference, but this is more like because of pressing differences (i.e. first pressing, second pressing).
I'm not sure, but I think bootleg copies had a jewel case, so yours seems a genuine one.
I can check my copy of Melon on the weekend (when I'm home again) if you want. I know I have a genuine one as I got it from Propaganda.

Thanks for that. I'd suspected it might be a different pressing but wasn't too sure. If you get the chance to check your own copy then I'd appreciate it.

i'm also interested in what you find Popmartijn, as I have been trying to distingish between real/fake Melon's on ebay for some time now

My copy has the matrix number MELONCD1 10335111 02 % MADE IN U.K. BY PDO

I checked this weekend and my copy of Melon (which came directly from Propaganda back in 1995) has this matrix code. At least, that's what I think it was when I checked it (am away from that disc again). :shifty: I mainly paid attention to the 02% part and that's also on my disc.
I know I got the CD quite late (as I became a subscriber starting that issue, so when the ones for the original subscribers were already distributed I guess), so that might explain the 02% part.
:)

Back
Top Bottom