Best audio format for U2 albums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amerizoe

Babyface
It's been my experience that U2's CDs aren't mastered in the best quality; almost all of them, especially Joshua Tree and War (I think Zooropa and ATYCLB generally have the best mixes). This is a multi-part question.

First, has anyone had extensive experience with the LP versions of U2's albums? If so, what's the quality like compared to the CDs?

Second, I'm guessing that everyone will say that the MFSL Gold CD's are the best versions -- I'm working on getting the three of them. However, has anyone had a chance to compare the Unforgettable Fire Gold CD to the MFSL Half-Speed Master LP? I'm curious if analogue playback of the same mastering technique sounds any different.

Finally (sorry to be long-winded), I noticed that Amazon.com has listings for both Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree on SACD -- though neither of them are actually for sale. Does anyone know if this is because there's actually a plan to release them in this format?

Much thanks!

Exactly.

I noticed they also had a listing for Zooropa in SACD format, as well. But, again, not for sale. Odd.

So I picked up a copy of the MFSL Joshua Tree gold CD and I'm pleased. It's definitely an improvement over the standard CD release -- mostly in the mixing levels (this CD isn't nearly as quiet as the original, though it's still not at the same volume level as most current releases). The clarity difference is noticeable to the discerning ear, though the majority of my friends who I had listen to it couldn't really pick out much of a difference. It's nice to have the track for "Exit" start with the crickets and not the coda for "One Tree Hill". Oddly, my original Joshua Tree CD was tracked like this, but a replacement one I bought about five years ago started "Exit" with that coda. The only other noticeable difference in songs was that "Mothers of the Disappeared" ends slightly differently. Whereas the original release fades out, the gold disc version of the song actually gains in volume during the last few seconds and ends definitively. Kinda nice.

Still interested to hear if anyone else has any other experiences with these varying formats, and still awaiting news on the SACD's (hoping it's true).

Back
Top Bottom