Zooropa (song) Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agree with most that's been said here. To me it's like our very own Bohemian Rhapsody kind of song, in terms of structure. Three very distinct parts all very cool. But it's when the song bursts into life at 3:59 precisely that is one of the best moments in music. Very uplifting too

Great part of the song this, great lyrics. :up:

And I have no compass and I have no map
And I have no reasons, no resons to get back
And I have no religion and I don't know what's what
And I don't know the limit, the limit of what we got

Zooropa
Don't worry baby, it'll be alright
Zooropa
You've got the right shoes to get you through the night
Zooropa
It's cold outside but brightly lit
Zooropa
Skip the subway, let's go to the overground
Get your head out of the mud baby
Put flowers in the mud, baby, overground

No particular place names, no particular song
I've been hiding, what am I hiding from

Zooropa
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be alright
Zooropa
Uncertainty can be a guiding light
Zooropa
I hear voices, ridiculous voices
I'm in the slipstream
Zooropa
Let's go, let's go overground
Take your head out of the mud baby

She's gonna dream up the world she wants to live in
She's gonna dream out loud
Dream out loud
Dream out loud

The song is so great that if all three parts were actually three seperate songs, all three would possibly get in my all time U2 top 20!

My favourite U2 song! It really transcends you, and the optimistic joy in the song is so refreshing. It's the kind of song I could listen to all day :drool: And it's PURPLE. The entire song is purple. Purple space crack.

Don't worry baby, it's gonna be alright
'cause uncertainty could be our guiding light
I hear voices, ridiculous voices
I'm in the slipstream
Let's go, let's go, overground

:love:

She's gonna dream up the world she wants to live in
She's gonna dream out loud, dream out loud

:love::love:

All of those have some pretty cliche stuff, especially that abysmal aches/breaks rhyme in Walk On.

I guess I'm referring to the conceptual angle as well as the actual lyrical content, because it's time for them to go exploring again after two albums of the close-to-home stuff.

All of those have some pretty cliche stuff, especially that abysmal aches/breaks rhyme in Walk On.

I guess I'm referring to the conceptual angle as well as the actual lyrical content, because it's time for them to go exploring again after two albums of the close-to-home stuff.

Well, then your problem actually is with that "close-to-home" stuff, like you said. (I feel alone here liking HTDAAB the way I do.) :reject:
I admit it's kind of a cliché, but it really has a beautiful lyric seeing it as a whole, and not reviewing the techinique. But then again, this is something that changes with each person.

Well, then let's leave personal opinions behind and celebrate on the greatness of Zooropa (the album and the song) :D

I hope one day lyrics that good return to this band.

I think this might be one of the only times I've ever agreed with you about something :ohmy:

What I loved about Bono's songwriting in the 90s was how it embodied so much uncertainty. Zooropa best captures that, though songs like Mofo and Gone touch on it, too. Thematically, the last two albums have dealt with that same uncertainty, but not as sharply as Bono did in the past. I think the new album will be Bono's chance to prove himself as a songwriter again. He gives such powerful speeches that I know he still has it in him.

Epic song...just barely beats out Mysterious Ways as my favorite song. It is amazing; a song that is still ahead of its time. A song you can totally lose yourself in.

Let me just chime in to say that I also love this song. Despite the Euro inspiration I would assume the song came from, I always visualized hyperstimulated Tokyo whenever I listened to that song. And so, I had it playing on my ipod when I walked out into the cold but brightly lit atmosphere of Shibuya Station in November 2006, when I was in Japan to see U2 in concert for the first time.

A truly sublime moment with a truly sublime song.

Funny thing is for years I hated the entire album and I don't think I even noticed Zooropa's brilliance until about four years ago. Now Zooropa is one of my all-time U2 favorites and the album is one of my favorites as well.

I really wish it was played on the next tour, even the full version including the piano and ridiculous random voices as backing tracks would be quite nice imo.

Back
Top Bottom