Zoo TV WOWY / COBL connection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dal975

The Fly
Just read something interesting from a comment on youtube- the gorgeous edge outro solo on zoo tv versions of with or without you (i.e. 4:46 of washington 8/16/92) is noted by a poster to be the same as the signature sound in city of blinding lights. Of course, they are remarkably similar sounds, perhaps not exactly, but has anyone ever heard of or read edge or the production team purposely bringing that sound back for COBL? And/or the sound of COBL having its beginning in WOWY? And for guitar folks, is the infinite guitar implicated in one or both? And how much of that sound is a backing synth, as opposed to edge creating it on the fly (no pun intended)?

That beautiful part of WOWY live has always fascinated me and I find it so disappointing that, to the best of my knowledge, it has never reappeared in the tours since then.

sounds like Edge's shimmer sound to me, which he uses for With or Without You and CoBL, and a host of other songs: All I Want I You, The Unforgettable Fire, Miracle Drug, Still Haven't Found, Running To Stand Still (ZooTV, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, and a few others.

Well if you listen to the Shine like stars solo, it sounds like similar effects, has the same 'ring' to it. :hmm:
Never really thought about it!

Back
Top Bottom