You've Never Heard U2's 'The Joshua Tree'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One Tree Hill's performance is what takes it to the next level, but it always surprises me that it works as well as it does. The lyrics are pompous and overblown, repeatedly taking the scenic route to say something that could cut deeper when spoken frankly. Also, the song is melodically dull, running through the same two chord progressions over and over. Then they shine the fuck out of it with unnecessary, slightly dated electronic accoutrements.

Bono though, damn. He sells every word he spouts, flowery nonsense or otherwise, and the song builds in intensity, almost literally climaxing during the outro. And, as much as the studio production leaves me cold, it's a different beast live. Those Lovetown performances are about the closest Edge ever came to catching fire, and a lot of the polish is scraped off.

So, I guess I do sort of love the song, there are a number of great attributes here, but it's an example of U2 at their most self-important, trying their best to pay tribute to a fallen friend, but going WAY over the top to do so. It used to be one of my favorites, but it hasn't aged too well for me.

Jeez, this is pretty much exactly how I think, although I don't believe the song ends quite as well as you described, except maybe in the key Lovetown versions. If only Bono could hit that elusive rain note more often. Whatever that is.

I still like it, and indeed, pretty much all the lyrics on JT are overblown rain desert nonsense, so that's no reason to specifically hate on OTH.

Ummmmmmm Streets, Still Haven't Found, WOWY, RTSS, RHMT, MOTD, etc, are overblown desert nonsense???? You can disagree with my liking OTH, but come on. Some mention rain sure, but IGC is the only desert related song and its a heartfelt song at that.

If I didn't know what OTH was supposed to be about, what it's paying tribute to, I'd probably like it more than I do. All of the songs you named off are flowery and pretty ridiculous, but in context work a lot better. Still Haven't Found is meant to be a modern hymn, and yeah, hymns ARE flowery. RTSS takes on a sensitive topic without tacking on a rousing chorus of HERRRAAWIIIINNNNNNNN. IGC is just a bunch of random imagery that sounds cool. WOWY, well, at least it's not "I miss you/I feel so blue/Boo fucking hoo/With or without you."

Something about OTH though...it just rubs me the wrong way, I dunno. It reads better than it's sung, or something.

Streets-->WOWY, RTSS and MOTD are amazingly passionate in their performance, and I think they're some of Bono's best lyrics, the first couple are definitely the pinnacle for their songs that were aiming to be big.

OTH is growing on me lately but it's it still isn't at the awesomeness level of Streets or RTSS.

streets. i know, i know, but it really is my favourite. as much as i like 90s u2, streets is possibly the quintessential u2 song.

Seconded, though it's 2nd place for me. That song is just magical, just the organ gives me shivers down my spine.

Every time some random idiot who isn't even a fan claims One is U2's best song, they kill a kitten on the streets with no name. :tsk:

Streets is great, but there is no U2 song owing more to its live performances. They never really got it right on the album.

Streets is great, but there is no U2 song owing more to its live performances. They never really got it right on the album.
Well, to me the single version is a big improvement with the added backing vocals. The only thing I would want to add to that is the clicking of Larry's drumsticks in the intro and add the longer intro and outro from the album version.
If it had that? It'd be perfect imo.

:lol:

I should use this quote on my signature!

Would be the first time I get quoted. :wink: I'd be honoured.

But it's still true. :sad: THINK OF THE KITTENS!

streets is okay, but it's no in god's country.

to me streets is like bad. it's really nice and all, but because of it's awesomeness live i really don't dig the album version as much.

it's still better than running to stand still on the album.

Not to take anyone on here but I feel that the terms pompous and overblown completely do not apply to One Tree Hill. There are certainly other U2 songs that venture into that territory, but not this one.

Thing is, while the song was dedicated to Greg Carroll, half of the verses in the lyrics are directly/indirectly about Victor Jara, and Jara was himself a lyricist who used very vivid imagery to get his point across. Bono uses similar imagery, and gets quite direct in the latter part of verse 2 and into verse 3. Other artists who have paid tribute to Jara have described him and his fight in similar rich imagery. Therefore I feel it fits the context and emotion perfectly. So I'm not sure how much more "frank" Bono could get with it.

But even going on an assumption that the song is mostly only paying tribute to the death of a friend, I can't imagine how one could call the song overblown or pompous. These are Bono's thoughts (graciously shared with us) at the time of a significantly painful event for him, and as a result we have one of U2's most beautiful songs, studio or otherwise.

..speaking of overblown...anyone listened to Mercy lately? :wink:

Not to take anyone on here but I feel that the terms pompous and overblown completely do not apply to One Tree Hill. There are certainly other U2 songs that venture into that territory, but not this one.

Thing is, while the song was dedicated to Greg Carroll, half of the verses in the lyrics are directly/indirectly about Victor Jara, and Jara was himself a lyricist who used very vivid imagery to get his point across. Bono uses similar imagery, and gets quite direct in the latter part of verse 2 and into verse 3. Other artists who have paid tribute to Jara have described him and his fight in similar rich imagery. Therefore I feel it fits the context and emotion perfectly. So I'm not sure how much more "frank" Bono could get with it.

But even going on an assumption that the song is mostly only paying tribute to the death of a friend, I can't imagine how one could call the song overblown or pompous. These are Bono's thoughts (graciously shared with us) at the time of a significantly painful event for him, and as a result we have one of U2's most beautiful songs, studio or otherwise.

So if a lyricist writes song about close friend who died/a highly admired political matyr, we're not allowed to have an opinion on it that isn't completely positive?

Jesus, I didn't realise My Chemical Romance had so many masterpieces.

she's totally right about Red Hill Mining Town and In God's Country sounding like the same song.

a lot of U2's songs sound exactly like each other. for example, these pairings:

All I Want Is You/Mofo
No Line On The Horizon/MLK
The Fly/Heartland

there's many more...

I agree! For example:

Numb/The Hands that Built America
Elvis Presley Ate America/One
Gloria/Wake Up Dead Man

It just goes on and on.

:sexywink:

Truthfully, the songs on JT do tend to blend in with each other (barring "Bullet" and maybe "Trip"). One could say that's a good thing as this is what makes it a great album. However, I always felt that the songs were a little TOO close together in sound/style, which is why JT does not rank amongst my favorite.

As for anyone who hasn't heard of U2 or this album by now, clearly only enjoy the current flavor of the month. I would advise these people to keep growing musically and explore more. Still, even Jay-Z, Alicia Keys, Mary J. Blige and will.i.am are big fans of Bono/U2. Hot new groups, like KOL and Snow Patrol, opened for U2. U2's current tour is massive. So unless one loves the likes Hannah Montanna, I find it hard to believe that someone hasn't been exposed to U2, but such is life.

As a follow-up... I just read the guy's comments and came across this statement,
"Exit" begins with a beautiful hymnal chorus that's bordering on gospel. Then the song takes us to the eerie nighttime depths of the synthesized ocean, where Bono is Poseidon and The Edge rides on the back of a giant winged dolphin, surfacing from time to time to whip up a minor guitar-driven monsoon.
That first line makes no sense. "Exit" staring with a chorus? Then I realized that he got the f*cked up version of TJT where "Exit" starts with the end of "One Tree Hill". No wonder this kid is all confused.

What's really odd is that I bought TJT on CD back in '87 and my version was not messed up. So when did this error occur?

I agree! For example:

Numb/The Hands that Built America
Elvis Presley Ate America/One
Gloria/Wake Up Dead Man

It just goes on and on.

:sexywink:

Truthfully, the songs on JT do tend to blend in with each other (barring "Bullet" and maybe "Trip"). One could say that's a good thing as this is what makes it a great album. However, I always felt that the songs were a little TOO close together in sound/style, which is why JT does not rank amongst my favorite.

As for anyone who hasn't heard of U2 or this album by now, clearly only enjoy the current flavor of the month. I would advise these people to keep growing musically and explore more. Still, even Jay-Z, Alicia Keys, Mary J. Blige and will.i.am are big fans of Bono/U2. Hot new groups, like KOL and Snow Patrol, opened for U2. U2's current tour is massive. So unless one loves the likes Hannah Montanna, I find it hard to believe that someone hasn't been exposed to U2, but such is life.

the funny thing about the "songs sound the same" argument is that you could say that about pretty much any great album that flows well. would she curse Achtung Baby for having that same industrial/murky sound throughout? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom