Your U2 Essential Collection (LP, Singles, DVD, Compilations)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Valkeerie

Babyface
I think we need to be selective towards U2 in any decade. Some LP are not as strong as a whole, but they could have the best sounding singles, or maybe live versions on a DVD that sound better. The Best Of compilations should also be taken into consideration.

Here's my essential collection:
- Under a Blood Red Sky (DVD) - I think it really sums up the best of U2's early years with their strength: playing live;
- The Joshua Tree;
- Rattle and Hum (DVD) - Great live performances of B-Sides, covers, UF, JT and new songs. Despite its flaws, it gives a better sense of continuity than the album of the same name;
- Achtung Baby;
- ZooTV (DVD) - whatever Zooropa song that was worth playing live made it to this DVD. It also includes some nice B-sides performances, an alternate Running to Stand Still, and the first time Bullet the Blue Sky took off live;
- Best Of U2 90-00
- Vertigo/SYCMIOYO/Original of the Species singles - I don't think the album is as cohesive as I would like, and these are the essential songs, in my opinion, released as singles.

I'm waiting for the next tour to see if they include my favourites from No Line on the Horizon, but Songs of Innocence has become a favourite already. I'll probably purchase it and see if I can ignore the singles from the previous album (Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, If I Go Crazy Tonight were uninspired choices...)

A good contender for the essential collection, but that I'd rather leave as a bonus, is the U2 Go Home DVD. You can't go wrong with ATYCLB singles being played live, and an overall great mood from the band. It holds a place in my heart, but I don't know what about you.

Back
Top Bottom