Your least favorite U2 song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GRACE is the perfect closer for ATYCLB its one of the few songs in the '00s i really like. i always liked it.:up:
THE PLAYBOY MANSION is great too as the POP album is:up:
A MAN AND A WOMAN is lame and boring :down:
they stole AMAAW from George Michael. the original song is called AMAZING and this original song is just amazing:up:

You forgot that they plagiated. :lmao:

gm2.jpg

gm3.jpg

That plagiatin' Bono sure has got some nerve.

I kind of excuse ‘bad’ early songs, so don’t include anything I don’t really like off the first few albums. But then, aside from Trip, I don’t really have any major beef with any track on the mid-late 80s albums. Some are definitely on the dull side, but not bad. In the 90s, the only tracks I generally pass on are Some Days are Better than Others (just don’t dig it), and Last Night on Earth (one they really f*cked at the mixing desk). I love Playboy Mansion and Miami.

So, admittedly, and probably not surprisingly, mine is a 00s heavy.

Stand Up Comedy – Embarrassing.

Yahweh/Love and Peace – On a lot of the Bomb tracks I thought they were just pushing too hard, working too hard to try and build (rather than stumble on and grow) catchy big tracks, and it just wasn’t their natural strong point, but then between these two, I thought that maybe I was giving them too much credit and perhaps they’d just hit the end of the road. Zero creativity evident on the both of them, Yahweh is a parody of U2 via one of those pre-programmed ‘songs’ off an 80’s Casio, Love and Peace a parody of Bono that even SNL would do far better. Both mark a low point, IMO.

WITS – Full on MOR Adult Contemporary. No thanks.

Sweetest Thing – Cute song, cute clip, but it annoys the hell out of me. And like a lot of U2-between-albums tracks, it was a sign of things to come. We were warned.

Vertigo/Elevation/All Because of You – U2 just don’t do this category well at all.

I agree that Playboy Mansion, while being a great tune, kind of loses it's luster due to the lyrics being somewhat dated.

"Big Macs" and O.J. Simpson don't exactly scream cultural relevancy anymore. It's U2's version of a hip-hop song: the trends don't exist anymore.

It's amazing how many truly good songs have been labeled shit by somebody in this thread...what's even more amazing is that I'm the only one who's least favorite U2 song is LEMON

That's my favorite U2 song. :sad:

Not saying I hate these songs, but I would put Staring At The Sky, Kite, In a Little While, Velvet Dress and OOTS on my list. None of these fulfilled their potential, IMO.

I cant believe it took 7 pages to get 'A Man and a Woman' mentioned:lol:

That and whatever the song is that tries to rhyme 'intersection':tsk::barf:

Not saying I hate these songs, but I would put Staring At The Sky, Kite, In a Little While, Velvet Dress and OOTS on my list. None of these fulfilled their potential, IMO.

dont forget 'windows in the sun' in that list

Anyone who says 'Kite' gets the boys sent round:|

dont forget 'windows in the sun' in that list

Anyone who says 'Kite' gets the boys sent round:|

Maybe it's not the song itself, but the presentation. That chorus should SOAR!!!! It doesn't. No dynamics, Bass is way too in your face - fake mellotron - Larry sounds like crap. I just never liked this song. Sorry. :reject:

I kind of excuse ‘bad’ early songs, so don’t include anything I don’t really like off the first few albums. But then, aside from Trip, I don’t really have any major beef with any track on the mid-late 80s albums. Some are definitely on the dull side, but not bad. In the 90s, the only tracks I generally pass on are Some Days are Better than Others (just don’t dig it), and Last Night on Earth (one they really f*cked at the mixing desk). I love Playboy Mansion and Miami.

So, admittedly, and probably not surprisingly, mine is a 00s heavy.

Stand Up Comedy – Embarrassing.

Yahweh/Love and Peace – On a lot of the Bomb tracks I thought they were just pushing too hard, working too hard to try and build (rather than stumble on and grow) catchy big tracks, and it just wasn’t their natural strong point, but then between these two, I thought that maybe I was giving them too much credit and perhaps they’d just hit the end of the road. Zero creativity evident on the both of them, Yahweh is a parody of U2 via one of those pre-programmed ‘songs’ off an 80’s Casio, Love and Peace a parody of Bono that even SNL would do far better. Both mark a low point, IMO.

WITS – Full on MOR Adult Contemporary. No thanks.

Sweetest Thing – Cute song, cute clip, but it annoys the hell out of me. And like a lot of U2-between-albums tracks, it was a sign of things to come. We were warned.

Vertigo/Elevation/All Because of You – U2 just don’t do this category well at all.

This is the correct answer to this thread. :sexywink:

Seriously, great post as always, Earnie. Agreed 100%.

GRACE is the perfect closer for ATYCLB its one of the few songs in the '00s i really like. i always liked it.:up:
THE PLAYBOY MANSION is great too as the POP album is:up:
A MAN AND A WOMAN is lame and boring :down:
they stole AMAAW from George Michael. the original song is called AMAZING and this original song is just amazing:up:

i always thought you were a hardcore muafucka. liked achtung and that was it. you've let me down.

zoots, you too. i thought you were just going to come in and post 1000 pictures of hut dab.

I don't have just one song. I'll ignore some early stuff as they band was learning. But from TUF on, there have been some real clunkers.

For example, "4th of July" is a wonderful atmospheric song, but really just filler. Given "Three Sunrises" and some other b-sides that were there, this rather weak instrumental hurts the album. "Elvis Presley" is interesting when one knows the background of the song, but again, b-side material was much stronger.

"Trip through Your Wires" - noisy mess of a song. B-sides were better than this nonsense. While it does liven up JT a bit, listening to b-sides and other "leftover" tracks from that era show how weak this song is. I've skipped over it almost non-stop since 1987.

R&H - other than the hits, "Hawkmoon" is good, but the rest, eh. A lot of fillers on this album.

"Trying to Throw Your Arms..." - blech. Never liked it and glad it wasn't performed often. Seemed almost comical - too comical - in the midst of a really powerful album and setlist on ZOO TV. It was as if a circus clown suddenly came in out of nowhere.

"Babyface" and "Some Days..." - one of these is enough. Both on one album really hurt "Zooropa". Silly fluff songs that should have been left off.

"If God Will Send..." - boring, tedious song that was stated so much better in "Wake Up Dead Man", which of course is on "Pop". Further more, is "Pop" experimental? Is it "classic"? Or is it some nonsense slapped together? Listening to this song makes it seem the latter. A very weak song that should have been excluded. There is some other bad stuff on "Pop", but this is the worst. "Playboy Mansion" leaps out as another - a song stuck in time that lacks oomph. And I'm not crazy about songs with the titles of cities, like "Miami" (but I do like the "bah bah bah" and overall sound of the song, except the screaming).

This brings me to "New York". Sorry, I don't have the love of NY as Bono does and I don't need to hear it. "City of Blinding Lights" works because while inspired by NY, it can be about any city. The song NY fails by its exclusion. "Peace on Earth" and "Grace" are also both too much for one album. One of these is a great closer - by having both, it's like the album ended twice.

It's been said before and it merits saying again - "A Man and a Woman" - utter garbage. "One Step Closer" would have also been a fine b-side to "Sometimes...". I know there's been enough talk about "Mercy", but if song like that was waiting, why toss in those two fillers and really weaken the album?

The only song I'm not crazy about on NLOTH is "Unknown Caller". I like all the other songs, including GOYB. However, "Unknown Caller" is nowhere near as weak as the songs I mentioned above.

I love Trip. I mean, it's probably my least fav song on JT, but I still love it. It's fun...it's particularly fun to sing along with, especially when you get to throw in those yells that B does. It's not a masterpiece by any means, but it's fun in a way that Wild Honey wishes it could be.

I don't have just one song. I'll ignore some early stuff as they band was learning. But from TUF on, there have been some real clunkers.

For example, "4th of July" is a wonderful atmospheric song, but really just filler. Given "Three Sunrises" and some other b-sides that were there, this rather weak instrumental hurts the album. "Elvis Presley" is interesting when one knows the background of the song, but again, b-side material was much stronger.

"Trip through Your Wires" - noisy mess of a song. B-sides were better than this nonsense. While it does liven up JT a bit, listening to b-sides and other "leftover" tracks from that era show how weak this song is. I've skipped over it almost non-stop since 1987.

R&H - other than the hits, "Hawkmoon" is good, but the rest, eh. A lot of fillers on this album.

"Trying to Throw Your Arms..." - blech. Never liked it and glad it wasn't performed often. Seemed almost comical - too comical - in the midst of a really powerful album and setlist on ZOO TV. It was as if a circus clown suddenly came in out of nowhere.

"Babyface" and "Some Days..." - one of these is enough. Both on one album really hurt "Zooropa". Silly fluff songs that should have been left off.

"If God Will Send..." - boring, tedious song that was stated so much better in "Wake Up Dead Man", which of course is on "Pop". Further more, is "Pop" experimental? Is it "classic"? Or is it some nonsense slapped together? Listening to this song makes it seem the latter. A very weak song that should have been excluded. There is some other bad stuff on "Pop", but this is the worst. "Playboy Mansion" leaps out as another - a song stuck in time that lacks oomph. And I'm not crazy about songs with the titles of cities, like "Miami" (but I do like the "bah bah bah" and overall sound of the song, except the screaming).

This brings me to "New York". Sorry, I don't have the love of NY as Bono does and I don't need to hear it. "City of Blinding Lights" works because while inspired by NY, it can be about any city. The song NY fails by its exclusion. "Peace on Earth" and "Grace" are also both too much for one album. One of these is a great closer - by having both, it's like the album ended twice.

It's been said before and it merits saying again - "A Man and a Woman" - utter garbage. "One Step Closer" would have also been a fine b-side to "Sometimes...". I know there's been enough talk about "Mercy", but if song like that was waiting, why toss in those two fillers and really weaken the album?

The only song I'm not crazy about on NLOTH is "Unknown Caller". I like all the other songs, including GOYB. However, "Unknown Caller" is nowhere near as weak as the songs I mentioned above.

why do you hate U2 so much Dr Who?

I love Trip. I mean, it's probably my least fav song on JT, but I still love it. It's fun...it's particularly fun to sing along with, especially when you get to throw in those yells that B does. It's not a masterpiece by any means, but it's fun in a way that Wild Honey wishes it could be.
Wild Honey > Trip Through You Wires IMO. Wild Honey is fun little popsong. It's perfect for a summer evening. Trip is just like they're trying to hard to make fun.

This topic is fun.

Let me see,

- Trip Through Your Wires is a weaker song, but I don't "really" mind it much.

- I don't really Miami from Pop, forced whacky, the words are clever but overt. Zooropa the song was clever and it actually worked.

- Wild Honey. Again, fun pop tune, but just so ughhhhh. Why?
- Peace on Earth. Again, drama you think its going to be something special - and then its just sappy. Like, damn.

- Elevation. Has its moments, but the lyric is rotten. The video is just too much to watch. Its an oh my god, no they didn't moment.

- Grace. The music is good enough, all Danny Lanois and Eno, but that literal lyric is cringe worthy. But, its not a horrible song.

- Vertigo. Safe tune, boring and as Earnie pointed out, U2 do not do this category of songs well. The ipod push helped it. GYOB is more interesting if you like this genre of U2.

- All Beacuse of You is a pure headscratcher. Just way to forward.

- Stand Up Comedy. Its just bad white funk. What the F' were they thinking making this poppy? Why the hell did they use the "little old lady" lyric. Geez. Its one of their worst tunes ever in my opinion.

Love Peace or Else- My god? What the hell? Its like Edge wanted to dial up another Bullet the Blue Sky. Not necessary boys.

I actually like Man and a Woman btw. Its slinky, very 80's in that master relaxing Sade way. Its a bit Wham-ish for sure, but its got a vibe that reminds me of Unforgettable Fire. I would much rather hear this than Stand Up or All Becuse of You

U2 need to cut the bull shit pop songs. They need to listen to Danny Lanois way more and go cut a warm, dark, brooding album. I really like the David Byrne like "Kingdom" shit they play at the 360 gigs. Unknown Caller is cool too with its chorus (the words are weak) but I like what they were doing. I like lots of the latest album actaully.

U2 need to follow the ambient, soaring thing - but what they DO NOT need are Stand Up comedy's, they are a dime a dozen and STILL don't get played on the radio. The only funk line that has every really worked for U2 is Mysterious Ways. Period.

In defence of a few songs, your honour…

Songs like Wild Honey and Man & A Woman I don’t think are bad songs, they’re both, IMO, very well written, clever, creative etc, it’s just that coming from U2 within the context of one of their albums, they sound cheesy. If U2 were dropping these kind of songs out there as b-sides, they’d be embraced as a bit of fun on the side, the cheesiness likely loved to a degree, in its own way. Still never ever going to make anyone’s Best Of lists, but they’d more likely find their own place. I mean, just imagine Wild Honey was not on ATYCLB, but was just dropped out there as a b-side to, say, the heavier/’serious’ Walk On. Suddenly you already appreciate it for what it is a bit more, no? Having said that, yeah, I don’t think I’ve specifically chosen to listen to either of these individually in perhaps years.

Tryin’ To Throw Your Arms sounds comical, like a clown walking into the room? Really? I think it’s very weighty. I totally get that sonically, or melodically or whatever it’s the driest point on an otherwise mostly exciting, vibrant album, but it’s certainly no out of place filler. He’s deliberately crossed his fingers and leapt off the edge at Zoo Station, taken the Fly’s sinister attitude and pushed it too far from some self discovery into self destruction, realised he’s gone too far… Tryin’ to Throw is that moment of clarity, massive guilt arriving the next day with the hangover, and hoping it wasn’t too, too far, that what he left behind will still be there on his return. Musically that fits as well, after the buzz and excitement of the Even Better/Mysterious Ways lust chasing the night before, Tryin’ to Throw is now stumbling home in a blazing sun at 9am the next morning, feeling like utter sh*t both mentally and physically. Not as superficial as just someone on the way home after a few too many cans on the town, but someone who’s been systematically destroying themselves in some selfish search for something, only now realising where it really is, but that you might have actually pushed it away. It sounds low and gentle, but throbbing and gutless, like if Edge actually hit just one even mildly strong note, or if they even just threw an unexpected chord change in there somewhere, it would be just enough to kill the guy. So yeah, I skip it a lot too because often when I want me some Achtung I want it for some kick arse Achtung songs, but it is to me an absolutely key part of the album in a wanky thematic sense.

Rattle & Hum is okay by me. It’s not really an ‘album’ album is it? It is truly a tour scrapbook, the new songs on there a kind of just a few postcards picked up along the way. In 2009 terms, you’d look at it like a tour blog, or Edge Twittering or something. “Hello U2 fans! Here’s us doing Pride last night!” “Hello from Memphis! We were mucking around with @BB King yesterday, here’s what we came up with!” etc. I really don’t hold it to the same standard I hold other U2 albums, so it doesn’t really fail for me, overall. Especially when removed from their own too heavy hype for it (that was there real mistake – if it were dropped out there like an end of tour gift, a sort of bonus, it would forever have been treated differently). There are a couple of duds, a couple that I think are good, but that I’m not really big on personally (I actually don’t care much for Desire, aside from full band live versions where Bono hits the harmonica hard) and a couple I love (Hawkmoon, Angel of Harlem). It is what it is, and considering that, it’s pretty good.

Miami is one of my favorite songs off of Pop. But hey, everyone has their own opinion.

I know it's an unpopular opinion on this board, but I :heart: HTDAAB. Well, except for A Man and A Woman. Like I said earlier, it's the one U2 song I genuinely dislike. The lyrics aren't bad. But the song is just too schmaltzy for me. Meh, I dunno.

/brilliantanalysis

I think 'Tryin to Throw Your Arms Around the World' and 'Trip Through Your Wires' both come off as simple and different as compared with the rest of their respective albums, but their inclusion adds to the sense of evolution and journey you take listening to the entire album, Crazy Tonight fits that bill as well. Unfortunately for me Wild Honey is in the same category and at a similar juncture, but its just too fluffy even for me as an apologist, I'm telling you ATYCLB is U2's 3rd masterpiece with the inclusion of 'Levitate' and 'Ground Beneath Her Feet' excluding WH and 'Grace'.

Although in all honesty I'd put 'Rise Up' in place of Trip, in the upbeat spot, its not as bluesy, but damn the atmosphere and that bass!!! I love that song.

Also Get on your boots will come close to a nomination in a few years' time. :shame: Tried to re-do Vertigo and beat it at its own game but megaphail. And three cheers to whoever thought it was a good single (Edge, was it? according to RS). Nice one shooting NLOTH right off the bat.

Also Get on your boots will come close to a nomination in a few years' time. :shame: Tried to re-do Vertigo and beat it at its own game but megaphail. And three cheers to whoever thought it was a good single (Edge, was it? according to RS). Nice one shooting NLOTH right off the bat.

I believe the article stated that now, everyone except Edge regrets choosing Boots as the lead single. But I think they all thought it was a good choice at the time.

Until I saw Boots live, I hated the song.

Back
Top Bottom