Your favourite live intro to Where The Streets Have No Name?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DU2

The Fly
Where The Streets Have No Name has a long tradition of epic intros, or epic transitions. There have been plenty of them in the last 25 years, and they've been constantly changing on every tour, since this awesome song has always been part of the setlist.
I was listening to Pittsburgh 2011, from 360 and Hallelujah leading into Streets gave me chills just beyond words.
But as I said before there's a really big variety of these intros/transitions.

Just to rub them up for anyone who's reading, we all remember the epic openings of the Joshua Tree Tour shows, or the poems/lyrics/excerpts Bono used to recite over edge's guitar on Lovetown. Then we have ZooTV with the awesome transition covered in smoke from Running To Stand Still, with all those confused sounds of interference vanishing into edge's riff. Popmart, instead had the transition from Please, that was great too. On Elevation we had a lot of them, like the one from 40's chorus or the majestic Bono's cry from Slane Castle, a U2 live classic. Vertigo may be my less favourite, I never loved the flags instead of the red screen, and for example on the Chicago dvd I literally cannot stand Bono shouting randomly over edge's riff.
I must admit my favourite ones are from 360, and I've counted three of them that I really love and that I really hope will be re-used on the next tour. I'm talking about Amazing Grace, Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow and Hallelujah. The last one could be my all time favourite.
Here's the video of it from Pittsburgh.
So what's your favourite? Of course you're free to add any performance or bootleg I didn't mention, beacuse we all know there are thousands of them.
Looking forward to your opinions.

U2 (HD 1080) Where The Streets Have No Name - Pittsburgh 2011-07-26 - Heinz Field - 360 Tour - YouTube

Easy, Elevation Boston. Best version of Streets I've ever heard...the red screens, the intro coming in from Bad with "How long to sing this song", followed by the first, rising chimes of Edge's guitar, then joined by "I'm gonna give back to God...", the quickening tempo, Bono's lap around the heart...gives me chills every time. And then the end..."This is all we can do"...fucking brilliant. The spirt was with U2 on that tour.

As far as official releases from Elevation go, I much prefer the Slane Castle show in general, and otherwise think the Boston show is just OK. But the Boston version of Streets starting with that intro just enters orbit.

There are so many versions of that song on high quality boots it's hard to sort through them all, but after Elevation, generalising it by tour, I'd rank them as follows:

1) Lovetown (Nailed it, and little different almost every night..just perfected from JT)
2) JT Tour (The standard by which all others are judged...walking in front of the red screen in R&H...iconic)
3) (Tie) ZOOTV (Punchy as hell)
3) (Tie) 360 (Soaring...a really expansive sound on this tour that filled up the stadium. Love the Amazing Grace versions)
4) Vertigo (African flags? Really? And sounded like they were going through the motions)
5) Popmart (Disco Streets? Um, no. Partially redeemed by great segue from Please. Actually this one may be better than Vertigo because at least on Popmart they played it with passion)

Even when this song isn't that good though, it's still great. All those versions kick ass in one way or another...it's hard for them to fuck up this song, except on nights they just don't care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg5wfabsjnY

26/12/1989 no question. Excellent vocals ''trampleeeeeed in duuuuust'' + Larry really attacked the drums those days.

1) Elevation Tour -- Boston & Slane, specifically. Doesn't get any better than that, especially Slane. Epic.
--
2) U2 360 -- Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow snippet, during the 2nd North American leg, which I saw live. Sent chills up my spine, especially when the stage started turning red. Such a rush of energy. Of course, there were other snippets (Amazing Grace, Hallelujah, etc.), but this was my favorite.
--
3) ZooTV
4) Popmart

Vertigo was my least favorite - quite bland intro, in my opinion.

1) Elevation Tour -- Boston & Slane, specifically. Doesn't get any better than that, especially Slane. Epic.
--
2) U2 360 -- Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow snippet, during the 2nd North American leg, which I saw live. Sent chills up my spine, especially when the stage started turning red. Such a rush of energy. Of course, there were other snippets (Amazing Grace, Hallelujah, etc.), but this was my favorite.
--
3) ZooTV
4) Popmart

Vertigo was my least favorite - quite bland intro, in my opinion.

Ye dude I was at the Chicago show in 2011 that snippet into streets was spine tingling

Lots of great non-Vertigo Tour choices here, but I think I will always be partial to the ZooTV version coming out of Running to Stand Still. It's hard to make that intro more theatrical than it already is on its own, but that fade with the lights dimming, Bono slowly walking off of the B-stage, and the red screens fading in? There may not be a better live U2 moment than those two songs back-to-back.

26 December 1989, Dublin. There's no competition.

It was the only time Bono recited a verse of Wordsworth's "Resolution and Independence" over the intro. It's absolutely fucking perfect.

Lots of great non-Vertigo Tour choices here, but I think I will always be partial to the ZooTV version coming out of Running to Stand Still. It's hard to make that intro more theatrical than it already is on its own, but that fade with the lights dimming, Bono slowly walking off of the B-stage, and the red screens fading in? There may not be a better live U2 moment than those two songs back-to-back.

While nothing can top it beginning most JT tour show (still get chills thinking about, it what a way to start my concert career!) for me, what you describe above ranks a close 2nd for me. I am partial to the reworked Running to Stand Still in the first place, with that mournful guitar....and then Streets? Fuck.

:up:

Popmart deserves a mention. Beautiful transition from Please.

26 December 1989, Dublin. There's no competition.

It was the only time Bono recited a verse of Wordsworth's "Resolution and Independence" over the intro. It's absolutely fucking perfect.

That reminds me... the 27th of December 1989, actually, is the best one. :wink: I'm a fan of the On the Road quote.

Nothing tops the original from R&H Tempe. Red screen with the lightning flashes.

Most versions of Streets in person are spine tingling. It is just a great live song. But the R&H version gives that to you by just watching it.

I also think audio wise the December 26th Lovetown version deserves a mention.

Regarding the Vertigo tour. The song was still great but the pacing leading into it and the flags made it the worst version. Bono did not want to play it on Vertigo. He was probably correct. Then again, he is the one that came up with the flags and decided they needed to play it. :shrug: It needs have the red screen or it does not seem right.

That reminds me... the 27th of December 1989, actually, is the best one. :wink: I'm a fan of the On the Road quote.

I like the On the Road snippet, but never found it as evocative as the Wordsworth one. Wish he'd done it more often.

The Kerouac intro on Lovetown was pretty good. As was Auld Lang Syne. Amazing Grace worked quite well on the 360 tour, although I preferred When Will I See You Again. And the "What can I give back to God?" intro was great on the Elevation tour.

But I agree with the sentiment that Bono reciting Resolution and Independence (Dublin 26th Dec 1989) is just absolute perfection

The December 26th Point Depot version is incredible in every aspect, and I agree with the intro poem being wonderful. I seem to like the ZooTV intros the best. That Bullet-RTSS-Streets run and the way they were performed is among the best sequences in live music ever.

Something about the simple organ intro of that song in any version is just magical.

Easy, Elevation Boston. Best version of Streets I've ever heard...the red screens, the intro coming in from Bad with "How long to sing this song", followed by the first, rising chimes of Edge's guitar, then joined by "I'm gonna give back to God...", the quickening tempo, Bono's lap around the heart...gives me chills every time. And then the end..."This is all we can do"...fucking brilliant. The spirt was with U2 on that tour.

As far as official releases from Elevation go, I much prefer the Slane Castle show in general, and otherwise think the Boston show is just OK. But the Boston version of Streets starting with that intro just enters orbit.

There are so many versions of that song on high quality boots it's hard to sort through them all, but after Elevation, generalising it by tour, I'd rank them as follows:

1) Lovetown (Nailed it, and little different almost every night..just perfected from JT)
2) JT Tour (The standard by which all others are judged...walking in front of the red screen in R&H...iconic)
3) (Tie) ZOOTV (Punchy as hell)
3) (Tie) 360 (Soaring...a really expansive sound on this tour that filled up the stadium. Love the Amazing Grace versions)
4) Vertigo (African flags? Really? And sounded like they were going through the motions)
5) Popmart (Disco Streets? Um, no. Partially redeemed by great segue from Please. Actually this one may be better than Vertigo because at least on Popmart they played it with passion)

Even when this song isn't that good though, it's still great. All those versions kick ass in one way or another...it's hard for them to fuck up this song, except on nights they just don't care.

U2 - Where The Streets Have No Name - Live - Elevation Boston 2001 - HD - YouTube

I agree, this was absolutely incredible. It was shown live on NBA on NBC. I personally credit this moment as one of the points that lifted U2 back to the top in the public conciousness.

The ZooTV sydney version was extraordinary with the transition theatrics.

Wow, a lot. Super Bowl's scripture thing was awesome. Amazing grace was amazing. My favorite "song" to transition into Streets was Will You Still Love Me in Denver. But the most epic full performance has to be Sydney's RTSS and the herion hallelujahs...just gives me chills thinking about it.

I'm definitely going with Boston Streets. My dad brought home the DVD when it came out. I was six and I've loved the band ever since. I remember running around my house just like Bono did around the heart. It's an absolutely perfect intro and it's what made me a fan.

All I want is you into Streets on Elevation, in particular the emotional howling intro on Slane.

RTSS --> Streets from ZooTV for me. my favorite live moment, I think.

Enjoyed Hallelujah --> Purple Rain --> Streets in Minneapolis on 360. Fun when he adds some local flair.

Same as everyone else here.

Vertigo way below all others. The rest are all incredible for very different reasons.

My top 3, in no particular order:

1.)Elevation- From 40 (Boston) or All I Want Is You (Slane), unbelievable.

2.)Tie Zoo TV and JT: Running into Streets and Tempe style red screen. Too good in too different of a way to compare, but are equally brilliant in my mind.

3.) 360- all intros were excellent, but Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow was far and away the best. I saw Amazing Grace and Hallelujah as well and though both were awesome, neither came close to the Will You...? at the 1st Montreal show in 2011.

then joined by "I'm gonna give back to God..."

He's actually saying "What can I give back to God...for the blessings he's poured out on me?"

It's a question, not a statement. It's from Eugene Peterson's translation of the Psalms. Psalm 116, specifically.

From what I've seen my favourite is definitely Zoo Sydney's RTSS..Streets moment closely followed by Popmart's Please..Streets. These are some of the greatest musical highs I have experienced!

That Bullet-RTSS-Streets run and the way they were performed is among the best sequences in live music ever.

This^

The pacing and sequencing of the entire 92/93 show is perfection. Not just perfection for U2, but perfection for live music.

He's actually saying "What can I give back to God...for the blessings he's poured out on me?"

It's a question, not a statement. It's from Eugene Peterson's translation of the Psalms. Psalm 116, specifically.

Hmmm, interesting. Yeah, I knew it was from Psalm 116, but I always just thought Bono flubbed it a little...actually I think I assumed he was twisting it a bit intentionally (an affirmation rather than a question). But now, listening to it again, he does say "What"...good ears. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom