Year-end "Rank the U2 albums" after SOI honeymoon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Achtung Baby
Joshua Tree
Zooropa
Boy
War
October
ATYCLB
The Unforgettable Fire
Pop
Rattle & Hum
Songs of Innocence
NLOTH
HTDAAB

Achtung Baby
Zooropa
The Joshua Tree
Passengers
Pop
The Unforgettable Fire
Boy
War
Rattle & Hum
October
No Line On The Horizon
All That You Can't Leave Behind
Songs of Innocence
How To Dismantle Your Fucking Legacy

After 33 votes:

Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
The Unforgettable Fire
Zooropa
Pop
Songs of Innocence (tie) All That You Can't Leave Behind
Boy
War (almost tied with Boy)
No Line On the Horizon
Rattle and Hum
October
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (almost tied with October)

After 33 votes:

Achtung Baby

The Joshua Tree

The Unforgettable Fire

Zooropa

Pop

Boy

No Line On the Horizon

Rattle and Hum

October

It saddens me to see Bomb so low! I really enjoy this album. I know my tastes are different from the majority in this forum but this album made me really excited when I first heard it.

Vertigo- I remember hearing it on the radio and it was the first time I heard the song (yep, didn't hear it on a YouTube channel or a website but caught by suprise on the radio...now THATS is rare!). I was like "is this....no way....no fing way!" I was blown away by this song.

Miracle Drug- other than the "top of a new born baby's head" line, I really like this song. Especially when Edge starts singing.

Love and Peace- the guitar is killer and the solo at the end is really cool how they muff the sound and then let it loose.

COBL- very good song, classic U2

All because of you- rocking tune although the chorus was sung out of tune (perhaps on purpose)

One Step Closer- love this song...very mellow and one of my favorites

I do agree that the production of the album was over cooked but I really enjoy this album!

Oh well......

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

After 33 votes:

Achtung Baby

The Joshua Tree

The Unforgettable Fire

Zooropa

Pop

Boy

No Line On the Horizon

Rattle and Hum

October

Yeah. Let's take October to the top!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
PoP
Songs of Innocence
Zooropa
Boy
Rattle and Hum
The Unforgettable Fire
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
War
October
No Line On the Horizon

The great
JT
AB

Almost there, very good albums
SOI
UF
War

good
Zooropa

average, if inconsistent song collections
NLOTH
HTDAAB
ATYCLB

some good moments, but overall a mess of a record
Pop
Rattle and Hum

weakest
Boy
October

To be honest while I enjoy the work of the 80s, I would be nowhere near the fan I am with strictly that decade of work.

Sent from down the rabbit hole

Over this past weekend doing a bunch of errands here and there I listened to SOI in its,entirety including Lucifer and Crystal with Invisible thrown in for good measure and must say this crochety old U2 fan still really digs this album. I'm actually starting to think it's my favorite going back to Pop.... see you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Over this past weekend doing a bunch of errands here and there I listened to SOI in its,entirety including Lucifer and Crystal with Invisible thrown in for good measure and must say this crochety old U2 fan still really digs this album. I'm actually starting to think it's my favorite going back to Pop.... see you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Well said. This album is wonderful and I am sure I will still feel this way about it years from now.

Bump

After 36 votes:

Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
The Unforgettable Fire
Zooropa
Pop
Songs of Innocence
Boy
War
No Line On the Horizon
Rattle and Hum
October

Wow! I haven't even thought about ranking U2 albums for a decade or more.

This should be fun (even though I've only heard the new one a handful of times):

1A: The Joshua Tree
1B: Achtung Baby

3A: War
3B: The Unforgettable Fire

4A: Boy
4B: Rattle & Hum
4C: Zooropa
4D: Atomic Bomb

9: All That You Can't etc.
10: Songs of Innocence

11A: October
11B: Pop

13: No Line on the Horizon

I do like the new album. It's only those final three on my list that are, relatively, fairly disappointing, but even they have their great moments. U2 have been pretty good at not releasing crap.

5A: Boy
5B: Rattle & Hum
5C: Zooropa
5D: Atomic Bomb

FTFY

btw, I thought you really disliked the new albums, probably I'm confusing you with someone else, but that was my perception for some posts a few weeks ago.

Bump

After 36 votes:

Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
The Unforgettable Fire
Zooropa
Pop
Songs of Innocence
Boy
War
No Line On the Horizon
Rattle and Hum
October

1-4 are pretty much revered in fan circles...Pop is kind of in-between that and the rest of the Very Good category (which includes SOI, if nothing else).

After that, it's a lot of albums with a decidedly mixed reception around here. Bomb and October have no real supporters. October is mostly ignored & forgotten while Bomb is mostly detested.

War's placement probably sticks out the most in a weird way. That's a consistently great album from start-to-finish and I think Side B is the most unfairly maligned thing around here.

Bomb and October have no real supporters. October is mostly ignored & forgotten while Bomb is mostly detested.

I love Bomb but I stay quiet about it because there is some real venom for this album. It's like the poster child for millennial U2.

I have some great memories of Bomb. But when I take away nostalgic value, it just hasn't held up for me. However, I'm in the minority when I day that I think "Yahweh" is a great track. Still moves me the same as it did 10 years ago!

October is underrated. ITABTAW is to me one of u2s great classics that I wish they would resurrect!

I love Bomb but I stay quiet about it because there is some real venom for this album. It's like the poster child for millennial U2.

I love Bomb, too. I think I was nuts about it when it first came out, then I may have cooled (but only slightly) and now, I love it...not that I think they are necessarily the very best songs that U2 have ever done, but I think that it is unduly shit upon here and so I probably hold it in higher regard than most, but also for me is the nostalgia factor. I have so many amazing memories associated with this album that it's hard to separate the songs from the memories. Either way, I don't care, I think it's a very good album overall.

I think Atomic Bomb is a very, very good collection of great songs. As a batch of songs, it's better than most of their albums (I'm one of apparently 3 humans on earth who thinks 'All Because of You' is great.) The problems with this album are: 1) the production, and 2) Bono's faux-cool but sounds like a total dork spoken intro to 'Vertigo'. *

* and obviously it's over-worked and over-calculated, but so is every U2 recording since 1995

Year-end "Rank the U2 albums" after SOI honeymoon

Bomb and October have no real supporters.

Bullcrap! I'm a huge October supporter and I very much like Bomb.
October is by far their most under appreciated album and it has some great songs on it.
Bomb is solid. Nothing amazing, but nothing bad either. Much like SOI imo.....It's just that SOI is much better produced.
NLOTH is by far their worst album. Some really high points and some flat out atrocious points. Arguably the 3 worst songs they've ever recorded all on the same album (Breathe, SUC, and UC). It blows my mind that it's ahead of Rattle and Hum (another underrated album).

I think Atomic Bomb is a very, very good collection of great songs. As a batch of songs, it's better than most of their albums (I'm one of apparently 3 humans on earth who thinks 'All Because of You' is great.) The problems with this album are: 1) the production, and 2) Bono's faux-cool but sounds like a total dork spoken intro to 'Vertigo'. *

* and obviously it's over-worked and over-calculated, but so is every U2 recording since 1995

I like ABOY. :shrug: I like it very, very loud.

1 - Achtung Baby
2 - Pop
3 - The Joshua Tree
4 - Songs of Innocence
5 - Zooropa
6 - All That you Can't Leave Behind
7 - The Unforgettable Fire
8 - War
9 - No Line on the Horizon
10 - Boy
11 - Rattle and Hum
12 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
13 - October

I'm pretty okay with Bomb too. I love Miracle Drug to death, and the first half of the disc is pretty good. There's no real clunkers on there, just OSC and OOTS bore me to tears... heck I even like Yahweh.

Back
Top Bottom