Wow, the Irish Times really hates U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this is the wrong forum for that, but, yes, read it this morning. I was really upset. U2 seems to get a lot of bad press in Ireland. Not that I care much but some of this is just bullshit. Ok, the writer likes Bruce and doesn't like Bono, fine, I guess he's not alone with his opinion. I guess the Bono bashing train is an easy and comfortable one to jump on.

Some people just don't get it. At least the guy thought Boots was pretty good.

Sometimes I wish Bono would just sing and walk off stage. He sounds like a good guy, but he makes it way too easy for people to bash him. I've been annoyed with him myself lately. I wish he wouldn't be so involved in politics and would stop spouting insanely cliche'd blurbs about love and peace and dreaming in a country he's not even from.

I don't think Bono cares much. If you're starting to care about bad press in his situation you go crazy. He's too famous, people are jealous.

They probably feel sorry for the rest of the band to be associated with him.

You do have to admit there have to be times the rest of the band members do shake their heads, roll their eyes, and mutter "ah Christ!" at some of the things Bono does. :lol:

Of course they have also probably been doing that since junior high school, so they knew what they were in for. :wink:

It's only been pointed out like a million times that Bono is non-partisan because he has to meet with whoever is currently in power in order to lobby for debt relief. I don't see why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

Oh, and he's in favor of peace for all people. What an asshole.

Of course they have also probably been doing that since junior high school, so they knew what they were in for. :wink:

True. Still, they've had 35 years of putting up with Bono's crap -- you can't help but feel a bit sorry for them! :D

I think of the band members' relationships with each other as akin to that of siblings. Most of us with brothers and/or sisters can understand that you can love your sibling dearly, but still sometimes think "Ah, jeez Fred could you please just shut the fuck up?!"

This man is just jealous because he thinks Bono loves America more than Ireland, I know it sounds silly, but it's not the first time he writes things like this and the common fact is always that.
I sometimes don't like watching Bono with some politicians, but I have to remember it's his life, not mine, he can do whatever he chooses. If you wish he just goes onto stage, sings and walks off, you're choosing the wrong band, and I say band because I know they agree on what it's said on stage, Bono's lobbing group is something apart, but on stage they are U2.
They made me feel very proud of them for having a word for people suffering in Palestine the other day.

I found myself agreeing with a lot of the article (some parts were quite amusing, too), but the Bruce stuff just seemed irrelevant. Considering what he campaigns for, there's a reason why Bono takes a bipartisan approach to his public politics.

after reading the comments in this thread, i think it's safe to say the reaction to this article is what's ridiculous, and not the article itself.

bono's fascination with america is sickening... i'll always go back to that disgusting display on the elevation tour when he took an american flag and cried in it. fuck off already, bono. if you want to be this ultra-patriotic american, fucking just pick up your shit and move there already.

this article was gentle on bono, and i believe echoes many peoples sentiments on the man.

does this mean bono's a bad guy? no, and they never said that. i'm sure one to one, he's a fine man... but that's not what this is about.
his endless pandering to be loved by the united states drives every fan who's NOT from there absolutely mental.

after reading the comments in this thread, i think it's safe to say the reaction to this article is what's ridiculous, and not the article itself.

bono's fascination with america is sickening... i'll always go back to that disgusting display on the elevation tour when he took an american flag and cried in it. fuck off already, bono. if you want to be this ultra-patriotic american, fucking just pick up your shit and move there already.

this article was gentle on bono, and i believe echoes many peoples sentiments on the man.

does this mean bono's a bad guy? no, and they never said that. i'm sure one to one, he's a fine man... but that's not what this is about.
his endless pandering to be loved by the united states drives every fan who's NOT from there absolutely mental.

Hey, I don't know if you're talking to me especifically, but just in case I tell you: I'm not American, I'm Spanish and I didn't say that Bono loves America more than Ireland, I said this is what this guy is always complaining about.

"Bono's fascination" for America doesn't drive me mental, I don't care very much about, in some way I can understand it, when you live in a country for long periods of time, maybe you learn to love it and its people and it doesn't mean you love your country the less for it.

Bono has been fascinated with America for as long as I can remember. :shrug: If he had been fascinated by another country for most his life that would be fine too, but we would have a different band than the one we are fans of now.

Not Bono, but the whole band has had a long history of fascination with America.

So now it's "sickening" to be fascinated by a country? As far as I know Bono has never said America is better than any other country or that he prefers it over Ireland.

I'm sure you wouldn't call it "sickening" if he was fascinated with, let's say Japan. Or Australia.

I have a fascination with other countries and cities as well and God knows I have a lot of BAD things to say about the city I'm living in, still I continue to live here, because there are many things I don't want to miss out.

As far as I know Bono isn't dissing Europe, the EU or Ireland. In fact, he has always been pretty fair when it comes to acknowledging all countries' contribution to African aid.

The media are blowing things out of proportion. Of course it's a welcome issue to Bono bashers on this forum. Why do we see so few positive articles on Bono, and if they appear here, they disappear quickly again because there isn't much response.

You certainly are on an "all you fools are overreacting" kick today, aren't you? :rolleyes:

It is kinda cute reading your whining though. :)

You certainly are on an "all you fools are overreacting" kick today, aren't you? :rolleyes:

yeah, pretty much. i'll admit that, between this and one or two of the threads at free your mind, i've come to hate humanity that much more.

LOL JUST KIDDING

Clearly the author has more respect and admiration for Bruce than Bono or U2. But I found most people in Dublin or across Ireland to be quite blase about U2 in general. They're not considered or treated as huge megastars there. I've felt from time to time over the years that Bono's over done it in some of his campaigning for various causes he's come involved with and we all know he's caused some strife within the band for the time he spends trotting around the world meeting with world leaders and VIPs. But I do believe he especially has a soft sopt in his heart for America, he has at least one home here.

Some of the biggest u2 haters are from ireland. They have the Marmite syndrome going on over there. Personally...i think its a national sport to be Irish and bash em. Just sounds like catty-ness to me

I'm not Irish, but I don't think that irish people like to bash. It's like that everywhere. There's always someone who will bash U2, and there's always someone to praise them. But bash attracts a lot more media than praise. That's it.

Back
Top Bottom