Wouldn't a better name for the 360 tour have been...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asr

Acrobat
The 'Space And Time' tour? Think about it. They were [initially I might add] promoting NLOTH in which there is the song 'Magnificent', which in turn has the line "in this space and time" in it. The repeated question asked throughout every gig on the tour was "what time is it in the world?" The whole spaceship stage and the astronauts' appearances on the screen to boot would have given this tour a theme concerning infinity. Yes, infinity being 'a great place to start" as the title track of the album suggested. A perfect concept and tie in to NLOTH. But noooo! This being the 21st Century U2 sans balls, they had give it a generic name alluding to the in-the-round stage which any band could come up with. To add salt to the wound, tracks from the latest had to be dropped only to end up promoting a 20 year old album which enevitably made U2 a travelling museum.

I think the original name of the tour was "Kiss the Sky" or something like that. IIRC, they change the name to U2360 coming on the heels of the very successful U23D..I think it kind of tied in with that.

And while I love NLOTH, and wish they would have stuck with it, I think the band is probably happy in hindsight that the tour name was not tied in with the album, since they pretty much distanced themselves from it half way through.

Considering how the tour ended up, a more descriptive (and accurate) name might have been "Time Machine". Of course, that was already taken. :)

Kiss the Future I think was the name. I reckon 360 is a better name since it became a huge tour after the NLOTH promo tour in 2009, so it'd be weird to still have a NLOTH promo name while the tour was essentially their whole back catalogue(sans Pop, ofcourse).

It was quite clear that time and space were the recurring themes though. But I was VERY glad to finally have them drop ialw. The only reason that stayed so long must've been the space lines. :doh:

they had give it a generic name alluding to the in-the-round stage which any band could come up with.

Sure, maybe some other band could have come up with it in describing their in the round stage, but no other band did. U2 did. And now no other band will be able to, without conjuring the fact that U2 used it first. So it's hardly generic, and it speaks also to the 360 degree nature of the visuals on the cylindrical screen, which noone else has.

I think it works.

I always liked the idea of the "Let Me in the Sound" tour... it would have conveyed the idea of the stage really encompassing everyone in the stadium and tied back to NLOTH in a more subtle way.

I always liked the idea of the "Let Me in the Sound" tour... it would have conveyed the idea of the stage really encompassing everyone in the stadium and tied back to NLOTH in a more subtle way.

they were probably going to go with a tour title based on Get On Your Boots before they realized that everyone hated that song.

they were probably going to go with a tour title based on Get On Your Boots before they realized that everyone hated that song.
Kiss the Future being that title, since it's based off a lyric in the song. But yeah, they kind of had to backtrack on everything Boots related.

It's amazing how one bad single can literally change the course of the band.

Get On Your Boots had potential IMO. The music there was pretty good, and pretty cool. But the lyrics.....

Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom