Would you say that Invisible is one of 2014's best songs so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thread title

• Yes.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • No.

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • U2 released music this year?

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Since U2's greatest fear is to fail to release noteworthy singles, I'm curious to see how their own fanbase feels their one and only 2014 offering compares to everything else released this year.

I'm going to go with "no."

It's hard for me to say, considering how negative this entire thing has become. Unfortunately, Invisible ends up in the middle of the whole debacle and it's hard to remember the good times in a vacuum.

That being said, is it amongst the best songs of the year? Maybe if I was doing a top 25, rather than a top ten. So, I'll go ahead and say yes.

what other 2014 songs are there?! :lol:

oh you mean by other bands, clearly - i should read the smallprint :lol:

Id say yeah it is one of the best but most people wouldnt and most people outsids the USA wouldnt even know u2 had a song out

Id say yeah it is one of the best but most people wouldnt and most people outsids the USA wouldnt even know u2 had a song out

Why wouldn't most people outside the USA know that U2 had a song out?

Why wouldn't most people outside the USA know that U2 had a song out?

Cause it didnt get any promotion in the uk at all. More or less 100% of people i know didnt know u2 had a song out.

It got played a few times in bbc radio 2 but thats about it

I'd definitely say that Invisible is one of the best songs of 2014 so far... if I was using crack on a daily basis.

If I was that guy in Boogie Nights who jumps everytime the Chinese kid in his pad lets off firecrackers.

For the people saying yes, is that because the dearth of U2 music is making inflating your opinion of the one song they've put out this year? Like, it's a decent song, for sure, but it really isn't spectacular. Half of NLOTH was better.

For the people saying yes, is that because the dearth of U2 music is making inflating your opinion of the one song they've put out this year? Like, it's a decent song, for sure, but it really isn't spectacular. Half of NLOTH was better.

I think it has more to do with the music of 2014

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Cause it didnt get any promotion in the uk at all. More or less 100% of people i know didnt know u2 had a song out.

It got played a few times in bbc radio 2 but thats about it

It was in the charts in the Netherlands for quite a while, Germany and Belgium too if I recall correctly.

And I answered No as well. I guess it depends on how you define best songs, haven't heard that many truly great songs sofar this year. I like Invisible, but it's a good song at most. Nowhere near the best I guess. Then again, if you'd ask me for an example of a great song released this year.... wouldn't be able to tell you a song from the top of my head.

Invisible is a nice enough song, but there's plenty of better music that's been released. Unless this song really meant something to you, you're probably not listening to enough new music if you think it's one of the best songs.

Over the weekend i had "U2" tattooed on my forehead ("666" would have cost too much + i wanted to be original). Now everywhere i go, people stare at me funny. If i sneeze in public they say "bless you" and i respond in kind with "bless you too". Then it gets awkward after that...

On the opposite end of the spectrum, i know a guy who had "U2" tattooed on his butt, with the "U" on his left cheek and the "2" on the right. He said that every time he farted he had just created a new U2 song. I asked him what happens when he took a dump, he said he really wished Bono would get back on his diet.

Invisible is a nice enough song, but there's plenty of better music that's been released. Unless this song really meant something to you, you're probably not listening to enough new music if you think it's one of the best songs.

Spot on.

For the sake of discussion, I made a list of my 25 favorite songs, only selecting one song per artist. This is in no particular order, but I can tell you that my top five are the tracks by Bombay Bicycle Club, White Sea, RAC, Common and War on Drugs:

Dirty Gold - Angel Haze
Down in the Hole - Bruce Springsteen
Now We Are 16 - Thumpers
Don't Let It Go - Beck
In Reverse - The War on Drugs
Dead Friend - Against Me!
Never Going Home - Phantogram
Micheline - Sun Kil Moon
Kingdom - Common
Invisible - U2
Let Go - RAC f/Kele
Geryon - Trust
Possessed - Eagulls
It's Alright Now - Bombay Bicycle Club
Little Games - The Colourist
Treat Her Better - Mac Demarco
So Now You Know - The Horrors
Guide You Through the Shadows - Cunninlynguists
Warsaw - White Sea
In Vein - Rick Ross
Pseudologia Fantastica - Foster the People
Woman (In Mirror) - La Dispute
uuu - Caught a Ghost
So Blonde - EMA
Our Love - Sharon Van Etten

Would U2 have made it if I expanded it to beyond one track per artist? I'm not sure at that point. Again, I think it's easy enough to say it is AMONG the best songs of the year, without forcing oneself to say it's either 1) The Best song of the year or 2) Not worthy of inclusion.

Oh, and for those playing along at home, I've heard roughly 1,000 songs this year, so I'd say even making my top 50 wouldn't be too shabby :wink:

I listen to a lot of other music, and I'd probably put it in my top 10 or 15, because I really like it.

Ta-daaaa.

Over the weekend i had "U2" tattooed on my forehead ("666" would have cost too much + i wanted to be original). Now everywhere i go, people stare at me funny. If i sneeze in public they say "bless you" and i respond in kind with "bless you too". Then it gets awkward after that...

On the opposite end of the spectrum, i know a guy who had "U2" tattooed on his butt, with the "U" on his left cheek and the "2" on the right. He said that every time he farted he had just created a new U2 song. I asked him what happens when he took a dump, he said he really wished Bono would get back on his diet.

This is my favourite Mrs. Garrison post. It is better than Invisible.

Invisible is good in the way that oatmeal becomes "good" when you add cinnamon sugar. It's still oatmeal.

In other words, it is extremely bland, mushy, a strange gray/beige colour, and completely unmemorable, IMO.

It's the sound of a band who's trying too hard to manifactured a radio hit.....and it failed.

What a surprise.

I wanted to come in here and say something snarky about how "Invisible isn't even the best U2 song of 2014 lul lul lulz", but I don't mind the track. Problem is, it's fallen completely by the wayside. I was scrolling aimlessly through iTunes last week and saw it and thought "oh yeah, I'd forgotten that happened".

So in that case, it's clearly not in my top 25. 2014 has been a pretty fucking awesme year too, which is going to make it even harder for a song by a past-it band of ditherers to make a dent.

Back
Top Bottom