Would you do GA again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But did they just drop this lottery plan on everyone AFTER people had been waiting for hours?

Yes.

The announcement for the lottery was made in the morning. Someone came out to the crowd and just dropped it on us. We were the first people to know it would be done that way.

Some people, like myself, had arrived at the arena the night before - more than twenty four hours before the show. No one knew beforehand.

I also very reccently sucessfully:giggle: "road tested" myself.

I was at a NYC club for a Queen Tribute & Unforgettable Fire show... I stood, and mostly danced for about 5 hrs (band 1, 30 min break & UF did and extra long - 3hr- set <vs 2 hrs>) with "fellow" Interland fans (all grrls that night).

Trying to not push back too hard (if at all) on 2 overly zealous, & semi-drunk guys behind me while I was 2 people from front.

And taking photos of UF for practice since :mad::mad: I STILL haven't EVER beenn THAT close to U2 at a concert!! Some pics came out quite good! My camera is a l'il 3 megger so I don't know if I need a faster SD card, or a camera with more megs to get faster speed. Mine dosen't have an ISO option, either.

The only thing that was a problem was my feet hurt sooo much the first 30 mins after ( I forgot to get new double insoles for my boots :der:), and gradually got better so that 2 hours later after we left the club I could walk several mid-town aves back & forth with some of my grrlpals. :)

BTW my Interland grrlpals for this outing were mosly in their 20's . I am 55. :D

~* THANK *~ The Powers..........
I can still rock it!!! :hi5: :rockon: :yippie:

:wink:

I also very reccently sucessfully:giggle: "road tested" myself.

I was at a NYC club for a Queen Tribute & Unforgettable Fire show... I stood, and mostly danced for about 5 hrs (band 1, 30 min break & UF did and extra long - 3hr- set <vs 2 hrs>) with "fellow" Interland fans (all grrls that night).

Trying to not push back too hard (if at all) on 2 overly zealous, & semi-drunk guys behind me while I was 2 people from front.

And taking photos of UF for practice since :mad::mad: I STILL haven't EVER beenn THAT close to U2 at a concert!! Some pics came out quite good! My camera is a l'il 3 megger so I don't know if I need a faster SD card, or a camera with more megs to get faster speed. Mine dosen't have an ISO option, either.

The only thing that was a problem was my feet hurt sooo much the first 30 mins after ( I forgot to get new double insoles for my boots :der:), and gradually got better so that 2 hours later after we left the club I could walk several mid-town aves back & forth with some of my grrlpals. :)

BTW my Interland grrlpals for this outing were mosly in their 20's . I am 55. :D

~* THANK *~ The Powers..........
I can still rock it!!! :hi5: :rockon: :yippie:

:wink:

GET OUT! I didn't think you were in your 50's at all.

Exactly, JC! You really have to have stamina, patience and be ready to run, elbow your way to your spot and survive in the GA line. Sometimes the long wait in heat or cold weather is trying enough. But throw our age in the equasion and it makes things a bit more difficult. It is worth it to at least try it once tho, just to be able to say you did, and to experience it.:sexywink:

Hey I'm game for it, plus the fact that I still snowboard, that has to be a plus for stamina! :lol:
Although, 1st row behind the stage twice I would take in a heart beat.

Does anyone do this anymore? I would love regular floor seating. When I was 15 I had 3rd row floor seating for REM and it was FANtastic.
The Cure does. I saw them last week and they had floor seats. Fantastic show, by the way.

It seems like it would be hard to configure an ellipse setup with floor seats, though. I'd hate to see U2 lose that. You'd also fit significantly fewer people on the floor with assigned seats, which would make those tickets even harder to get.

I've never done U2 GA before and I'm not so sure that I even want to, based on GA experiences with other bands. I don't like standing on my feet all day. I also don't like feeling as though my bladder is going to explode. To be perfectly honest, I think regular floor seating is ten times better than standing GA. The seated floor atmosphere is fantastic if you're within the first twenty rows, and it has the added bonus of you not being exhausted/trampled to death by the time the show starts. Plus, you can have a pee break without the challenge of elbowing your way back to the front!

at least you know that U2 crowds are not as hard as metal bands or something like that.

but if you don't think you0re ready, don't go... and I'm saying this to everyone

if you go to GA, you go to war

you go to run, you go to sweat, you go to have knee-aches, maybe hunger and be ready to NOT wanting to go to the bathroom

you have to be prepared to maybe not seeing averything, to have to jump up and down, to have a mosnter in front or a screaming girl next to you

but you'll hear it like no one else
you'll see it like your life depends on it
you'll be a up-and-down jumping machine
you'll sing at the top of your loungs with everyone around you, who'll be as excited as you are

most importantly

Seated sections sell seats, an individual space for you to enjoy

in GA, all the people become one... and that's something you can't get anywhere else

GA :love:

Yes.

The announcement for the lottery was made in the morning. Someone came out to the crowd and just dropped it on us. We were the first people to know it would be done that way.

Some people, like myself, had arrived at the arena the night before - more than twenty four hours before the show. No one knew beforehand.

OMG!! After queuing up for that long i would have been MAD having that dropped on you. :angry::hug:

I'd prefer the GA without the lottery. In Europe at the stadiums people who have queued the longest face no lottery. You can get right at the front. Its so much better, the dedicated fans who waited since early morning get at the front and the front of the stage is full of an energetic crowd. :love:

Despite all the drama though, GA is so worth it when you're at the front. I got very lucky and scanned in in US and Canada 4 times out of 5 for GA. Got 4 front row spots. :drool: Bet my lucks all run out next time i come over for the US/Canada gigs. :lol:

I agree with not having the lottery system. I understand what Paul McG's logic behind it is, but still... I managed to get inside the ellipse, front and center at Vertigo Toronto I, but it was very stressful. Although, to be honest, the Toronto line was fairly tame, I think, and I'm an early riser in the morning anyway (we were 60th in line and arrived at around 9am or 10am on showday), and I don't mind waiting in line the whole day.

The WORST lottery system was at the ticketmaster office, on the day the tickets went on sale, and we lined up at 6am, only to find that they did a lottery system to determine the order in which they sold the tickets. That sucked hard for some people.

at least you know that U2 crowds are not as hard as metal bands or something like that.

...screaming girl next to you

you'll sing at the top of your loungs with everyone around you,

GA :love:

the horrors of GA. its great if you are in the very front and all this is behind you, and its absolutely miserable if you are surrounded by a bunch of drunk idiots screaming at the top of their lungs.

i must just be getting old, but i the idea of waiting all day to see my favorite band, then not getting in the very front because of a lottery system, and then being surrounded by people screaming the songs, to where i can't hear bono sing= miserable.

that is why elevation tour GA was 100x better than vertigo. all the people waiting in line all day were the absolute die hards and they were in the heart. you got to know them throughout the day, and then you were in the front with them. there were no casual fans who strolled in right before the show started and were right next to you. they were all at the back of the floor, making their beer runs and going to the bathroom.

i love GA and don't mind the physical part of it at all. if U2 were smart enough to do like every other band in the world, were the ones who get there first get the best seats then great.

if the lottery system is in effect i will be going with the reserved seats.

Of the two GA tickets I bought, I got both for face value or just slightly above - one on Craigslist, one on Ebay.

Yes, I realize I was very lucky. :wink:

I got a pricey reserved seat through Ticketmaster - and I thought it was worth every penny for both the location and the concert itself. And it was so nice not to have to limit my fluid intake to worry about my bladder, and nice to be able to sit before the concert started.

I paid scalpers a total of $600 for 3 GA tickets (one=Pittsburgh, 2=Cleveland for myself and hubby). Sounds outrageous, yes...but I wouldn't trade the experiences for anything in the world. Pittsburgh-I was on the outside edge of the ellipse... Cleveland right up against the stage in front of Edge. And U2 fans are the nicest people...everyone (well, MOST everyone) was glad to hold your spot in line, give you food, whatever you needed. Do I want to sleep on the sidewalk in a leaky tent again in the cold, pouring rain in downtown Pittsburgh? HELL YEA. (ok, not really, but i would!)

To elaborate on my response I agree with axver here. The few times I had a seat I was miserable cuz the people around me just sat the whole time and I couldn't fully enjoy myself, it just sucked! . for me anyways.

oh yeah, that does suck! :madspit: Really dampens the energy flow.

While I've never had really great seats for a U2 show (not even talking GA since I haven't been able to get that<yet>), and only once (after 25 yrs of seeing them) pretty great seats.......

AT least I have been luckily enough to have most every one standing, dancing in place, singing along (and :giggle: no BAD singers next to me ) cheering etc in all the shows I've been to!

If I may, how early do people usually line up to get good spots with GA?
Depends on how crazy you are :crazy: :wink:

A few hours before.. the morning of.. the night before.. A couple days before :crack:

Depends on the city, the venue, the weather, stadium vs arena, etc........

Depends on how crazy you are :crazy: :wink:
A few hours before.. the morning of.. the night before.. A couple days before :crack:
Depends on the city, the venue, the weather, stadium vs arena, etc........

:lol: :lol:

Since I know that in Philly & NJ the stadiums & arenas are outside of the city---
I feel *very lucky* that both Madison Square Garden, Yankee Stadium, and Shea Stadium are right by public transportation!!!
And for MSG & Yankees Stadium right near restaurants, and salad bar other food & snacks places...much more options as you wait on (the) line for hours or a day etc. There are also Hotels & departments stores by MSG (thinking nice bathrooms :lol: verrrry important) !

I saw everyone with their chairs, umberallas etc for the GA line.

I had GA for perhaps 6-7 shows last tour and not once did my ticket beep, allowing me to get into the ellipse! I didn't like the lottery at all :no:
But being near the rail of the ellipse is pretty good too.

(I only managed to get into the ellipse because my first night in Toronto the guy handing out the wristbands felt sorry for me when he saw how dejected I was and then the second night I was approached by a guy near the soundboard handing out wristbands for the ellipse. From what I hear, this occurred quite a bit throughout the tour)

So yes, despite never beeping for the ellipse, I would still do GA again!

GA is the only way to go, in my opinion. I had an expensive seat one night, and while it was nice showing up during the opener and getting to have a few beers and relax, I felt like I was miles away. There's so much more energy in GA. There are some jerks, too, but I've never had problems that security didn't take care of quickly. I never made it into the ellipse, either, but I'm hopeful that luck will work out for me eventually if they stick with this system.

(I only managed to get into the ellipse because my first night in Toronto the guy handing out the wristbands felt sorry for me when he saw how dejected I was and then the second night I was approached by a guy near the soundboard handing out wristbands for the ellipse. From what I hear, this occurred quite a bit throughout the tour)
!
That happened to me in Buffalo :hyper: So exciting.

Back
Top Bottom