Would it be so bad if U2 became "irrelevant"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The definition of relevant is "bearing upon or connected with the matter in hand; pertinent:"

The more important question would be "to whom are they relevant". There are as many kinds of relevance as there are genre's of music. They can be relevant to the mainstream or relevant to the alternative crowd or relevant to just their own fans, etc. What Bono talks about most often is being relevant to the mainstream culture and this is what they have succeeded in doing throughout their career. Every time the mainstream culture has threatened to turn away from them they have turned things around and gotten interest again through reinvention. In spite of the lackluster reception that Pop got in the US they never were totally out of it. Had they continued on in that direction they might have but they were smart enough to switch things up. U2 walks a tightrope at the edge of mainstream culture. They are never in the center of things but never too far over the edge either. Pop found them teetering on the precipice but ATYCLB brought them back to safer ground but it still was NOT what was mainstream at the time. If anything it triggered or at least boosted the 80's nostalgia but it was not a rejection of the 90's it was just that they stopped excorcizing the 80's.

The problem is that many of the fans try to keep putting them in the indie box or the alternative box and they don't really belong. They have become a genre of their own really because in spite of the number of bands who supposedly sound like U2 nobody really crossed as many boundaries as they do. You can't really slot them in to any particular spot. So whether they are relevant or not really depends on where you are coming from.

Dana

I have all Radiohead albums here in my pc. He has every right to think whatever he wants about this band the same way you think Boots is not a good song.

Try to show some respect for other people next time mate.

Oh right, next time this 32-year old man will try to show respect for a boy who just said I had no credibility.

Oh right, next time this 32-year old man will try to show respect for a boy who just said I had no credibility.

Mate, he used this: :wink:. It normally means he was just kidding. You know that your tastes in music doesn't have nothing to do with credibilty! No need to get all upset for a joke.
And after all, you know if you have credibility or not. You don't need to prove that to anyone here, I guess. It's pointless to argue about those kind of things.

Mate, he used this: :wink:. It normally means he was just kidding. You know that your tastes in music doesn't have nothing to do with credibilty! No need to get all upset for a joke.
And after all, you know if you have credibility or not. You don't need to prove that to anyone here, I guess. It's pointless to argue about those kind of things.

I can't tell the meaning of :wink: from the expression my grandmother has when she's lost control of her bowels in public. Since you depend on smilies to judge the context of someone's statement, how could you be so sure I'm upset when I haven't used one of these :angry:?

I can't tell the meaning of :wink: from the expression my grandmother has when she's lost control of her bowels in public. Since you depend on smilies to judge the context of someone's statement, how could you be so sure I'm upset when I haven't used one of these :angry:?

I don't depend on them. But sometimes they leave things clear. And it looked like you were upset because of the credibility commentary. I'm sorry if I was wrong.

But it's like I said, pointless discussion and now I'm just getting off-topic.

The definition of relevant is "bearing upon or connected with the matter in hand; pertinent:"

The more important question would be "to whom are they relevant". There are as many kinds of relevance as there are genre's of music. They can be relevant to the mainstream or relevant to the alternative crowd or relevant to just their own fans, etc. What Bono talks about most often is being relevant to the mainstream culture and this is what they have succeeded in doing throughout their career. Every time the mainstream culture has threatened to turn away from them they have turned things around and gotten interest again through reinvention. In spite of the lackluster reception that Pop got in the US they never were totally out of it. Had they continued on in that direction they might have but they were smart enough to switch things up. U2 walks a tightrope at the edge of mainstream culture. They are never in the center of things but never too far over the edge either. Pop found them teetering on the precipice but ATYCLB brought them back to safer ground but it still was NOT what was mainstream at the time. If anything it triggered or at least boosted the 80's nostalgia but it was not a rejection of the 90's it was just that they stopped excorcizing the 80's.

The problem is that many of the fans try to keep putting them in the indie box or the alternative box and they don't really belong. They have become a genre of their own really because in spite of the number of bands who supposedly sound like U2 nobody really crossed as many boundaries as they do. You can't really slot them in to any particular spot. So whether they are relevant or not really depends on where you are coming from.

Dana

:up: Very good post, thanks, I agree with you.

If you mean U2 becoming like R.E.M, Depeche Mode, Pearl Jam, Radiohead...etc, I don't think it would be a bad thing.
The question is would U2 be happy selling ~3mln copies of each future album? and becoming more of a "cult" band...

the question here is what you consider irrelevant. Radiohead for example is very relevant to me. If you consider relevant as selling a lot of albums and having big radiohits, in that case U2 was still very relevant the last 7 years...

I think we are getting "relevance" and "popularity" confused. For example, it is clear that Radiohead's In Rainbows, is not as popular as, say, The Pussycat Dolls, but In Rainbows is extremely relevant. They aren't the same thing.

agree completely! The same can be said about "POP" imo. Quite relevant, but not popular to the mainstream.

Too bad, U2 is more concerned about being popular than about being relevant. But who knows, maybe this changes again on the new alum

"relevance", "irrelelvance" – we talk about music in the end, don't we? But from an artist's point of view, o.k.: So, U2 were far from being relevant, when they recorded their first singles & albums from 1979 until 1981. But the music was great and 'BOY' and 'OCTOBER' are still "relevant" for me, because they do touch me. That's honestly all for me, that counts.
Now with being a mega-act (or at least pretending to be) for decades now, U2 have gathered a mass-audience, to which they feel obliged in a way, I guess. It's what prevents them from radical changes, I fear, but this has nothing to do with "relevance"; it's only, that U2 have become part of the mainstream, though widening the definition of mainstream, re-defining it. They want to be the greatest, most popular band – I could live without them always to reach out for that goal, but maybe that is their stimulus, why U2 are still on the road and in the studio ...:hmm:

I think U2 will always be relevant as a live band. Even if the radio ignores the new album and it gets terrible reviews and not-so-great sales, people will still flock to the concerts simply because of U2's reputation as a great live band. A lot of people think the Rolling Stones haven't released relevant music in a couple of decades, but it hasn't hurt their concert attendance any.

So getting back to what was said in the original post in this thread, even if U2 does become "irrelevant" in the album sales/radio play sense, don't count on it getting any easier (or cheaper) to get tickets.

I don't think U2 is at the point yet where they've become irrelevant. Their singles are still being played on the radio, they're still being talked about, and they're still gaining new younger fans from the current new generation. Now, if they were like The Rolling Stones (which don't get their new singles played on the radio, and people don't talk about their new stuff), I'd agree, but they're not. U2 still have a lot to prove.

I don't think U2 is at the point yet where they've become irrelevant. Their singles are still being played on the radio, they're still being talked about, and they're still gaining new younger fans from the current new generation. Now, if they were like The Rolling Stones (which don't get their new singles played on the radio, and people don't talk about their new stuff), I'd agree, but they're not. U2 still have a lot to prove.

Sorry, but your last few sentences simply aren't true. The Stones definitely have had new songs played on the radio. Rough Justice was the first single from their last studio album, A Bigger Bang, which came out in 2005. It got plenty of heritage rock radio airplay. The Stones eventually went on to perform the song at the Super Bowl. Stones fans still talk about their newer music. It's pretty good. How many times can you re-invent the wheel? The Stones just make music that they enjoy and they hope their fans will enjoy. Easy enough.

Oh yeah, and that statement about U2 still having a lot to prove is really off the charts. :down:

U2 have NOTHING left to prove! They have done it all! You name it, they've done it.

Sorry, but your last few sentences simply aren't true. The Stones definitely have had new songs played on the radio. Rough Justice was the first single from their last studio album, A Bigger Bang, which came out in 2005. It got plenty of heritage rock radio airplay. The Stones eventually went on to perform the song at the Super Bowl. Stones fans still talk about their newer music. It's pretty good. How many times can you re-invent the wheel? The Stones just make music that they enjoy and they hope their fans will enjoy. Easy enough.

Oh yeah, and that statement about U2 still having a lot to prove is really off the charts. :down:

U2 have NOTHING left to prove! They have done it all! You name it, they've done it.

Okay, maybe their newer stuff has been played on the radio, but mainstream rock radio? U2 are nearly 30 years old, and their music gets played on current rock stations as well as classic rock. I don't think The Stones can say the same for their newer stuff.

And yeah, it was a poor choice of words. How about "U2 have a lot of artistic talent and creativity still left in them?"

As a Stones fan, U2's new music is more relevant by nearly 10,000% compared to the Rolling Stones. A "Bigger Bang" was a joke by the Stones. They had the video of "Streets of Love" debut during a soap opera in the morning!!! I think "Bigger Bang" was a 15-17 track album and they played a total of 4 new songs live during the tour. At the most 2 in one show.

U2 still tours to play the new stuff. And we the fans (most of us) flock to the numerous tours to see/hear the new stuff.

The only thing U2 need to worry about is being relivent to themselves and as long as they do that the fan following will continue to follow.

I would be amazed if this single/album would be as big a hit as BD/Vertigo and ATYCLB/Bomb were.

Back
Top Bottom