Would it be so bad if U2 became "irrelevant"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope all this negativity blows up in peoples faces and the album sells better then any record has in the past at least for the first little while, that would be great :)

Quite frankly I dont think U2 have much to worry about when it comes to record sales because a "flop" in U2 terms would still most likely put them in the top 3 in record sales for the year.

The list of top selling albums in 2008 in the US is listed below, personally I think U2 can outsell any of these pretty easily this year.

1. Tha Carter III, Lil Wayne 2,874,000
2. Viva La Vida, Coldplay 2,144,000
3. Fearless, Taylor Swift 2,112,000
4. Rock N Roll Jesus, Kid Rock 2,018,000
5. Black Ice, AC/DC 1,915,000
6. Taylor Swift, Taylor Swift 1,597,000
7. Death Magnetic, Metallica 1,565,000
8. Paper Trail, T.I. 1,522,000
9. Sleep Through the Static, Jack Johnson 1,492,000
10. I Am...Sasha Fierce, Beyonce 1,459,000

But like I said the industry is much different then it has been in the past, and no not even U2 can save it from the very long slump it has been in.

I bought ONE of these albums and it was crap.

I don't have a dictionary to hand but surely relevance means 'on topic'?

Look, they have to be relevant. No one EVER knows what is going to be popular till later, unless of course you are just in it for the money and have a serious strategy but those bands....won't be remembered.

I'm much more concerned about the band returning to releasing quality output; I care much less about concerts.

However, another casualty of U2's increased popularity has been bellweather fans buying up tickets and screwing up the atmosphere at concerts.

Comments like that one make me feel glad that U2 is NOT an elitist band. That kind of ignorant and arrogant approach is pissing me of no end. I love U2 because they are one of the most universally appealing bands and EVERYONE should have the right to go to their shows. Guess what: I go to concerts of bands and artists I'm not a 100% die hard fan. Guess I'm not allowed to do that. Some people here think hardcore fans are the center of the universe and the only ones allowed to go see a show. It would look very very sad if they were the only ones at U2 concerts.

U2 doesn't have the talent or the imagination to become Radiohead.

Laughable. U2 can never become Radiohead at that point of their carreer. They'd have to wipe out 30 years in order to become a band like Radiohead. Impossible. But I'm sure someone here will be glad to show you a good Radiohead forum if you think they're the better band.

This whole discussion is annoying because it's about wanting U2 to be a different band than they are. I've always thought we'd be fans of the band because they are what they are.

Likewise, ever since I got an iPod the radio has been irrelevant because i've got U2 songs on my iPod. :wink:

To say that the ATYCLB/Elevation tour period was less relevant than in the early 90's is extremely false, with all due respect. The album and tour were HUGE and relevant at least almost to Joshua Tree status. They were NOT just a go-to band for post-9/11 comfort or a novelty act. Since the begining of '01, every single released and every single show was getting accolades by both press and public. Many people I actually know and have met who tuned out during the ENTIRE 1990's started talking about U2 again as if they were the second coming of the Beatles.

Even grown women I've spoken with at the time were gossiping again like tennyboppers about the band memebers' private lives and gushing about how what a hunk Larry still is! I also remember not needing to defend, constanly, U2 during this period like I did during the Achtung Baby/Zoo TV tour/Zooropa era.

that's "popularity" not "relevance".

K, I hope this is the biggest selling record in U2's history and it fucking owns the shit out of every doubting piece of crap on this planet....

^Oooohhh, another strong argument.

Like I said, I thought there was a limit for the amount of BS you could put in one post.

Laughable. U2 can never become Radiohead at that point of their carreer. They'd have to wipe out 30 years in order to become a band like Radiohead. Impossible. But I'm sure someone here will be glad to show you a good Radiohead forum if you think they're the better band.

I've been to that Radiohead forum, and honestly, I can't talk to those guys. They're all smarter than me.

^Oooohhh, another strong argument.

Like I said, I thought there was a limit for the amount of BS you could put in one post.

Tell it to your pre-pubescent friend who probably could never appreciate the "layers, innovation, experimentalism, [insert any GOYB descriptor here]" of Paranoid Android, Bodysnatchers, Fake Plastic Trees, Jigsaw, Optimistic, or any other Radiohead offering. If you never heard those songs before, have a listen before you attempt to undermine someone's credibility.

Tell it to your pre-pubescent friend who probably could never appreciate the "layers, innovation, experimentalism, [insert any GOYB descriptor here]" of Paranoid Android, Bodysnatchers, Fake Plastic Trees, Jigsaw, Optimistic, or any other Radiohead offering. If you never heard those songs before, have a listen before you attempt to undermine someone's credibility.

I have all Radiohead albums here in my pc. He has every right to think whatever he wants about this band the same way you think Boots is not a good song.

Try to show some respect for other people next time mate.

I've been to that Radiohead forum, and honestly, I can't talk to those guys. They're all smarter than me.

Well I COULD say the first thing that came to my mind when I read this, but I won't lower myself to the level of personal insults.

Glad to hear U2 fans have your level of intelligence. :up:

K, I hope this is the biggest selling record in U2's history and it fucking owns the shit out of every doubting piece of crap on this planet....

Yeah, sometimes I think like this, but then on other days I kinda wish they were more 'my band' if you get what I mean by that. I sorta like the idea of really liking a band that not many other people are into. For instance, one of my other favourite bands is Nine Inch Nails, and in my age-group (18-19) and certainly my social group, not all that many people know of them, so that makes it a little bit more special to me in a way.

Having said that, I agree with you in that it would be great if that could happen, but sadly I really don't think its possible - people who have decided they don't like U2 aren't going to change. I have mates who come up to me sometimes and say 'oh I heard this other U2 song the other day that I liked', but aren't willing to invest any further and actually buy an album or anything like that. At the end of the day, I view it as their loss, there's more chance of me getting the number of concert tickets I want, and it should only be about if the music reaches and touches you and nothing else, not whether its fashionable or 'hip' or any other such bollocks

Yeah, sometimes I think like this, but then on other days I kinda wish they were more 'my band' if you get what I mean by that. I sorta like the idea of really liking a band that not many other people are into. For instance, one of my other favourite bands is Nine Inch Nails, and in my age-group (18-19) and certainly my social group, not all that many people know of them, so that makes it a little bit more special to me in a way.

Having said that, I agree with you in that it would be great if that could happen, but sadly I really don't think its possible - people who have decided they don't like U2 aren't going to change. I have mates who come up to me sometimes and say 'oh I heard this other U2 song the other day that I liked', but aren't willing to invest any further and actually buy an album or anything like that. At the end of the day, I view it as their loss, there's more chance of me getting the number of concert tickets I want, and it should only be about if the music reaches and touches you and nothing else, not whether its fashionable or 'hip' or any other such bollocks

People were always telling me I HAD to like u2 when I was in school and I hated them for the longest time because of that. Maybe try some 'reverse psychology'. Tell your mates how crap you think U2 are and how much you hate Bono. (I'm sure you'll find plenty of 'reasons')

See how they react! :wink:

people rightfully point out that popularity and relevance are not the same thing
but what is relevance then?
if i was to believe the overall tone of this thread then relevance would be the same as being alternative
surely that makes even less sense

Back
Top Bottom