Would an Achtung Baby/ZOO TV 30th anniversary tour work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At this point, many of us are counting on it.
I'd be disappointed if they don't.
Oh please stop.

Counting on the and disappointed if they didn't? On what basis? The only reason they did this tour was due to the album not being ready on time. It's turned out to be a great idea, but it wasn't the original plan.

I wouldn't say it was impossible that they'd do it with Achtung Baby as well, but I'd set the odds fairly low. I'd love to see it, but I don't think it'll happen. And certainly nobody should be expecting it at this point.

Last edited:
That was an incredible book. It'd be interesting to see how drastic the difference would be on the road these days.

Instead of stealing a boat, Bono steals a second crème bûrlée while sitting in his yacht.

Adam wears his kimono to a private art gallery showing.

Larry has his scowl permanently affixed to his face bythe best plastic surgeons in the world.

Edge is still mixing Songs of Ascent.

I think that after "songs of experience/ascent" U2 will finish his career. I dont see them doing a zoo tv tour again... but hey i would love to see them doing it.

Last edited:
Oh please stop.

Counting on the and disappointed if they didn't? On what basis? The only reason they did this tour was due to the album not being ready on time. It's turned out to be a great idea, but it wasn't the original plan.

I wouldn't say it was impossible that they'd do it with Achtung Baby as well, but I'd set the odds fairly low. I'd love to see it, but I don't think it'll happen. And certainly nobody should be expecting it at this point.

Plus good luck sourcing even one Trabant in 2021.

I don't really think it will happen. The Joshua Tree is iconic in a very different way than Achtung Baby. And while AB is also my favorite album of all time, I think for many of us diehards, it actually would be a bit of a letdown in reality.

ZooTV was a lightning bolt of greatness that captured a moment in time (as was mentioned before - the rise of technology in our everyday lives, 24 cable news, video controlled weaponry, information overload, etc...)
Not really cutting edge to have a commentary on those things now.

Another reason - ZOOtv was groundbreaking in it's technology and presentation of a live show. It broke major boundaries and was like nothing people had seen. Now? Not so much. Even if they tried to out-do it, it wouldn't be the same in its overall impressiveness, as it was at that time.

Also - Not many artists were fucking cooler than U2 at that moment, and they played the part so well. The clothes, the attitude, everything was right. The band at that point will be in their early 60's, and NONE of those things will be true. And without that foundation, it would be underwhelming.

Give us SOE tour in 2018-19, and then give us one last run of a new album and tour in 2022 (or whatever) that it what is real for them at that point. Genuine U2 with maybe no more fucks to give on their final outing. That would mean more to me than any AB/Zoo revival.

Some valid points there.

It's also possible that instead of a full anniversary tour, the band just does one special multimedia event, a single concert (in Berlin?) to paying fans that is also broadcast live on the internet.

Some valid points there.

It's also possible that instead of a full anniversary tour, the band just does one special multimedia event, a single concert (in Berlin?) to paying fans that is also broadcast live on the internet.

That would be pretty cool. One big, blow your mind event.

24 cable news, video controlled weaponry, information overload, etc...)
Not really cutting edge to have a commentary on those things now.

Substitute those for drone wars, social networks rise, fake news/alternate reality with that guy in the White house...could be easier to adapt Zoo TV compared to the forced "Trump 2017 is making JT relevant" excuse. See this for example :

An updated Zoo TV (Bono joked it would have to be Zoo.com) has to happen. It might be dangerous to directly compete with the greatest​ tour ever but that idea is still relevant. I don't think they'd have to play the whole album though. It could work with new material.

I think it would be a massive success, 25 years later and there still hasn't been a better stadium show than ZOO TV imo.

They have so much material to work with, so much new technology it would be fantastic. It would need to be full on ZOO TV though and not a little nod to it hear and there.

The fact they would be playing my favourite album of all time in it's entirety is highly appealing too!!

As someone who did not live through the Zoo TV era, my main connection to that era is the music. I think it is strong enough to stand on its own without recreating the exact theatrics of Zoo TV.

When it comes to AB30, they just need to create shows around the music itself and however they feel it speaks to the moment. The result could end up looking a lot like Zoo TV (information overload's only gotten worse), but I think the music-first approach is critical.

When it comes to AB30, they just need to create shows around the music itself and however they feel it speaks to the moment. The result could end up looking a lot like Zoo TV (information overload's only gotten worse), but I think the music-first approach is critical.

This is a given, it should always be this.

Anytime you put on a big production there will be some that question that, but for the most part U2's been good at staying true to that.

If they hadn't done the joshua tree revival, then yes. But they cant do both, that would be ridiculous.

I also dont think Bono can be anything other than uber sincere/humourless these days. Not a chance he could last a whole show without being gracious to the likes of Ted Cruz and other American politician.

Honestly, I expect him to say some flattering words about Trump before the tour is over

If they hadn't done the joshua tree revival, then yes. But they cant do both, that would be ridiculous.

I also dont think Bono can be anything other than uber sincere/humourless these days. Not a chance he could last a whole show without being gracious to the likes of Ted Cruz and other American politician.

Honestly, I expect him to say some flattering words about Trump before the tour is over

I don't think he'll say flattering words. But I could see something about unity blah blah blah.

I think it would feel strange to have a retro tour for a tour that was about the future. Achtung Baby is also heavily linked with the tour for it, ZOO TV. So to do some dry performance of just the album, would seem strange and not a fit either.

Still, money talks. Few would have predicted this Joshua Tree Tour 2017 a couple of years ago.
It might even be a nice fit in between the Songs Of Experience album and the Songs Of Ascent album.

I think I would literally die from shock if they actually did something tour-wise for an AB 30th anniversary.

I really think it will happen. When asked about it Bono laughed and said there were no plans but admitted in the same breath he would have told you to fuck off if you'd proposed JT30.

I could see it happening. I also like the idea mentioned earlier in the thread of a one-off show broadcast online from Berlin.

If they fart arse around recording the next album (not SOE but the one after that) and then allow themselves to be reamed in the butt by LN and forced into doing concerts without a new album, then I'd say an AB30 tour is a certainty.

Last edited:
I really think it will happen. When asked about it Bono laughed and said there were no plans but admitted in the same breath he would have told you to fuck off if you'd proposed JT30.

Quite simply, the idea is now in their heads. After the huge success of JT30, you can bet they'd consider doing it again. Especially if it means they don't have to commit to a mammoth 150-date tour.

Bottom line is, it'll probably depend on what they're doing 4 years from now. If they don't spend 2020 touring, and don't have a new album and tour ready to go at the start of 2021, then yeah, I could see them doing another little tour like this one.

Quite simply, the idea is now in their heads. After the huge success of JT30, you can bet they'd consider doing it again. Especially if it means they don't have to commit to a mammoth 150-date tour.

Bottom line is, it'll probably depend on what they're doing 4 years from now. If they don't spend 2020 touring, and don't have a new album and tour ready to go at the start of 2021, then yeah, I could see them doing another little tour like this one.

Remember though, U2 did not tour in 1991. The album, Achtung Baby, was released at the very end of the year on Tuesday November 19, 1991. The ZOO TV Tour did not start until February 29, 1992. So really, the 30th anniversary tour probably would not start until 2022 if they do it.

Would it work, as a performance and concert experience? I think it would be as good or better than the current JT tour.

Do I want them to do it? No. The band already acknowledged and celebrated Achtung Baby's 20th anniversary on the 360 tour's 2011 shows.

And they are currently getting a bit of a free pass to to dip into the "nostalgia act" business because it's been their one and only "go" at it. Press reviews on this JT tour have often said things like "While U2 doesn't usually look backwards..." I don't think that would be true anymore if they launched a second anniversary tour just a few years after the first.

The guys are almost 60. I say give us one or two more new albums (including SoE) and call it quits gracefully. Does anyone want them spending what precious little time they have left playing old albums in sequence? Even these "mini tours" take up an entire year.

On U2's final tour, whenever that is, they will celebrate their entire career, and I bet we'll get all the deep cuts you could ever want. I'd rather just look forward to that than pine for classic-album-specific tours.

Back
Top Bottom